'namdhari' Dastar

GoKesh

wasn't a hukam given by guru hargobind sahib ji to tie not one but 2 dastaars? so wouldnt that type of pagh look more dumalla like? personally only paghs that has been safe and secure for me has been gol or dumalla. a dastaar is meant ot be respected, i dont think the old sikhs would ever wear a dastaar that could come off so easily and beadbi happen to their dastaar.

yeh again not heard about the two dastaar thing by Guru Hargobind Sahib ji bro. Where did you hear/read that? When you say old singhs wouldnt wear a dastaar that would come off easily, are you referring to pre- Maharajah Ranjit Singh time or Maharajah Ranjit Singh's time? Some of the photos of Singhs I sent in the link are in the time period less than 10 years after the anglo-sikh wars so I would be surprised if dastaar styles had changed much since then.

i dont think the Sikhs actually took the afghan's turbans off their heads and placed them on their own, what happened was that the Sikhs imitated the turban that signified " Shahi" from the afghans once they had taken over panjab and some of the frontier areas.

So the shahi dastar came into being around the time of Hari SIngh Nalwa when he took over khyber pass/Afghanistan?

wasn't a hukam given by guru hargobind sahib ji to tie not one but 2 dastaars? so wouldnt that type of pagh look more dumalla like? personally only paghs that has been safe and secure for me has been gol or dumalla. a dastaar is meant ot be respected, i dont think the old sikhs would ever wear a dastaar that could come off so easily and beadbi happen to their dastaar.

When I tie nok wali dastar I wear a keski under it and it's much more sturdy. Dumalla with a bunga is more sturdy because the bunga won't come off because it's attached to your hair so I guess it is more sturdy. Nok wali dastar is surdy as well, it just depends how you tie it. Gol dastar/dumalla can become "tilla" if you don't tie it properly.

2zi98k0.jpg

The current pug that "naamdharis" tie is a blend of the kenyan pug influence and the typical old style keski. As most naamdharis came from tarkaan (carpenter) backgrounds and had links with East Africa, they were influenced by the folds that the East African Sikhs did. If you observe carefully, the naamdhari pug itself is based on the strokes of the dummala which is commonly used to tie keski/choti dastaar.

Old mainstream pictures of the kookas under Baba Ram Singh clearly show an ucha boonga and dummala style. After the exile of Ram Singh, the kookas lived in isolation from mainstream Sikh community in Bhani, Ludhiana during when Ram Singh's successor Hari S architected the "conspiracy" theories of Sikh Guru lineage being linked to Ram Singh, re-incarnation of Guru Gobind Singh etc

It was during the times of Partap S (after 1930s really) when the kookas started travelling out of Bhani to villages which were predominately tarkaan (mainly villages where the Channa, Matharu clans resided) which inadvertently lead to 4 or 5 visits to Kenya. During these travels a small number East African Sikhs from tarkaan backgrounds converted to the "naamdhari" beliefs and those adopted the now known style of naamdhari pug which got promoted amongst the naamdhari elites. This style then spread during the mini-propagation of naamdharism in the few families in Thailand and some of the villages in Ludhiana and Jallandhar.

post-1686-0-14660200-1338977814_thumb.jp

Ram Singh (the dastaar style is clearly a dummala and not the modern day naamdhari pag)

Great info Pyara :p Thanks for sharing. Do you think you might 'be asking for trouble' if you decided to tie dastar this way?

It's up to you my friend. The current naamdhari style pug is not the most sturdiest or appealing style of dastaar to tie and guarantee won't last an active day without rising above the "sun-tan" line by the evening...

post-1686-0-13742400-1338978546.jpg

It's up to you my friend. The current naamdhari style pug is not the most sturdiest or appealing style of dastaar to tie and guarantee won't last an active day without rising above the "sun-tan" line by the evening...

post-1686-0-13742400-1338978546.jpg

I mean the type worn by raagis let me find it....

sun tan line lol

Great info Pyara :p Thanks for sharing. Do you think you might 'be asking for trouble' if you decided to tie dastar this way?

You probably would be to be fair. People will almost certainly think that you are a namdhari and when you tell them that you are not, they will most likely think it strange as to why you are wearing a 'namdhari pagh' when you arent one. Obviously there is nothing wrong with changing your dastaar style but you can expect to get some stick for it from family and friends.... we live in a judgemental world where people have already created caste and jathebandi connections with their style of dastaar. Now to be completely honest, alot of mainstream Sikhs do not like namdharis so I suspect that you wont make lots of friends by wearing a dastaar that supposedly represents their group.