Foods You Should Eat

jpsingh2

In the UK, Social Services have to remove kids from parents who enforce a vegan lifestyle on their kids. The media reported on how large numbers of the medical and scientific community were worried about the vegan lifestyle on children. So, if you are old enough be a vegan if you choose to. Dont force it on your kids though, unless you want the social involved.

Please don't spread lies. The only advice is that pregnant mothers are advised to boost vitamin intake during pregnancy and during first few years of the child's life, dairy is reccommended for vegetarians and vegans. There was a one off case by a crazy local authority and the family ended up willing the legal battle that ensued.

Also if anyone has a concern about veganism causing health problems in children, they're barking up the wrong tree- a sedentary lifestyle leading to obesity and poor unplanned diet leading malnutrition is a very real problem vs nutrition conscious parents. The media has reported, utter rubbish. Are you a doctor? Do you know BMS GP guidance on veganism? I thought not. Did you even read my post where I have specifically pointed out the need for a balanced diet? There's only one difference between vegetianism and veganism- risk of B12 deficiency over years and even this is very rare unless the parents do not know what theyre doing (and trust me vegans know about this); indeed I pointed out how one can boost B12 levels to good levels.

And besides, the OP was asking about themselves not a baby?

Really HSD2, from this post and others, are you just out to belittle me or is it just your personality? Are you a tabloid reader by any chance? Are you a meat eater? Are you even an amritdhari?

Lol, I'll take the advice of medical professionals and lawyer friends over some random on the internet any day. I wasnt replying to you and you replying to me shows how paranoid you are. Assuming I read tabloids just reflects your own prejudices and bigotry.

I made my point about diet. The OP can take the advice or not. I dont care. The rest of you saying 'NO, NO, IT'S NOT TRUE!' isnt going to change anything.

If you don't care about the OP, then you're just ranting which coupled with your bigoted post on sikhs from non sikh familes I wondered whether you were a tabloid reader. If you are I would advise switching away from it, this is not very sikhi behaviour. We're trying to offer advice to the OP and be helpful and be amicable to each other. We were not even talking about 'imposing' veganism on children, OP asked about good foods. If you have a critique of a vegan diet to offer, by all means share it with us. Also you ignored my question on the difference between a vegetarian and vegan diet. Ask your medical professional friends to tell you what the medical guidance is on this and your lawyer friends to tell you the current legal situation.

I never said I dont care about the OP - I said I dont care whether anyone takes the advice or not. I cant as I will never know what they want to believe. That's what I meant. As for bigotry, I made very clear and reasonable points on the Non Punjabi Sikh thread. The fact that others would rather slur and throw insults when faced with opposing points that dont fit their world view is not my fault.

There is nothing wrong with vegetarianism, but veganism when not well researched is as bad as some other diets. Many vegans have to go to their doctors in the learning curve that is changing diets. Dont expect to switch and not come across any issues, some people need to have frank discussions with their doctor before embarking on changes in diet depending on their age and medical history. Not from people on a forum.

As for 'current legal legislation' bare in mind that if the teachers ever report your kids to the social, one of the first things they will look at is diet. There may be no link, but do you really want to leave it to the whims, interpretations and personality of the Judge and local authority's lawyer? I didnt know this issue has made the press, so I'll look into it. But if you are a parent, what may be good for you doesnt translate to your children in every situation.

Some good foods in this video:

In all seriousness, stick to potatoes, pasta, bread, dairy, roti, sabji and daal. Eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Have a salad with your roti. Chocolate and sweets once in a while isn't bad. Drink lots of water. If your wee is yellow drink more water.

Try limit salt in your daalan and butter in daal and roti (if you use butter).

my veer sherdil -try going whole food vegan yourself for 21 days and experience the differnce you will feel.

I have been vegan for fairly long and dont eat fortified bread or cereals - but hey my every measurable health parameter - weight, blood pressure, blood sugar , cholestrol (HDL went up and LDL came down) has improved - so get off the knowledge you acquired from reading and do an experiment on yourself.

People who don't eat meat need to get essential vitamins from elsewhere. That may be fortified cereals, pills, etc.

Meat contains protein, iron, zinc, and the b vitamins riboflavin, thiamin and b-12.

Protein is found in beans, nuts, seed, lentils, potatoes, etc. (If you consume enough calories, you’re getting enough protein.)

You only require between 8 and 11 mg of iron per day. This is easily obtained with one cup of fortified breakfast cereal, or one serving of tofu. Beans and whole grains are also good sources.

Zinc is found in beans, nuts, whole grains, fortified breakfast cereals, and dairy products.

Riboflavin in found in dark green leafy vegetables, mushrooms, asparagus and broccoli.

Thiamin is found in whole grains, nuts, sunflower seeds, peas, milk, cauliflower, spinach and legumes.

B-12 is found in dairy products, fortified breakfast cereals, nutritional yeast and organic produce.

@ChuckSinghNorris

You are well educated in alternate food sources to attain the vitamins normally found in meat. That's fantastic. Unfortunately, many members of our community are not as enlightened. Granthis are the most common patients that come in for B-12 injections. They don't have access to fortified cereals and such. More education is needed to live a healthy vegetarian lifestyle, but it definitely can be done.

@panthicunity

My cholesterol has never been high in my life (knock on wood) because I exercise regularly. You are right though. The vegan diet can significantly lower one's LDL and weight. I think a month long cycle is good enough to cleanse people. It is hard to maintain, as you have to eat a lot more to make up for the lack of calories in each meal. If you can maintain it for longer, then you have strong will power. Big ups to you.

@ChuckSinghNorris

You are well educated in alternate food sources to attain the vitamins normally found in meat. That's fantastic. Unfortunately, many members of our community are not as enlightened. Granthis are the most common patients that come in for B-12 injections. They don't have access to fortified cereals and such. More education is needed to live a healthy vegetarian lifestyle, but it definitely can be done.

Surely they have enough daeen (yoghurt how do you spell it? :S) and milk. I've never heard of anyone with this deficiancy.