Why The Hypocrisy?

Yoda

When we Sikhs are faced with difficult situations (Wisconsin shooting), we expect the politicians (Obama, etc) to visit the Gurudwara to show support? Why is it okay for non-sikhs to attend a Gurudwara to show support, but not vice-versa? Not only during difficult times, but when politicians attend a Vaisakhi parade for example to show support in Canada, UK, US, etc, we're happy.

Politicians represent everyone in their constituency regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, etc. I don't see Christians up in arms because a Christian politician attended a Gurudwara and said WJKK WJKF. The First Lady Michelle Obama, current Vice President candidate Paul Ryan, attorney general Eric Holder and Governor Scott Walker met the victims family and spoke to a Sikh audience to share condolences during a samagam. But I didn't hear a complaint from Christians about them attending.

With the same token, If Badal attends a mandir and says "namaste", we want his head on a platter. Why the hypocrisy?

We shouldn't rely on others to help us, I agree with that much. The reason for having Obama visit was to bring awareness and not to belittle this event.

Badal is criticized for being a person who claims to represent the Sikhs and yet performs Hindu rituals and is paid off by cult leaders - something the USA media would have exposed if pakhandi ram rahim banaras ka thug, noormelia, radha soamis were here.

Maybe Badal was a bad example. Hypothetically, assume that an amritdhari is elected to office in the United States. What will our reaction be if he/she were to attend a mosque, mandir, church, athiest gathering, dera followers, etc to gain votes? Will we castrate him/her also?

No, everyone had a positive response when the Muslims were allowed to pray in gurudwara....

So I think even our ppl will understand if they had to go to a mosque, church, or hindu templd to offer condolences, but i think there might be trouble if the person had to bow down, or stand in prayer or receive blessings(prasaad).

So I think all religions, including Sikhs, should not invite nonbelievers into religious place, but maybe to neutral places: candle light vigils, funeral homes.

I don't know this badal person so I cannot comment on that, but if a regular sikh politician was to go to a different religions place of worship as part of work- i think complaining about it is just insecure. I don't think society should become so parted by religions... thats when negativity starts

I think all religions, including Sikhs, should not invite nonbelievers into religious place, but maybe to neutral places: candle light vigils, funeral homes.

Disagree- someone walking into a gurdwara who is a non believer may be enlightened by coming in, and how do you define non believers as there are already many people who are non believers but born in sikh families that go into gurdwara at times...... Gurdwara is a place open to all.

Disagree- someone walking into a gurdwara who is a non believer may be enlightened by coming in, and how do you define non believers as there are already many people who are non believers but born in sikh families that go into gurdwara at times...... Gurdwara is a place open to all.

I agree. Guru Ghar is for everyone. Harmandir Sahib has 4 doors to show that anyone is welcome. We cannot say that we shouldn't invite "non believers" into the Gurdwara thats ridiculous.

You don't have to part-take in their religious ceremony if you attend and show your respects to them. You can go and show support to people of any faith, despite being Amritdhari, you just don't have to believe what they follow if it doesn't go in line with your beliefs.