Farid Ganj Shakkar, or Farid al-Sani

chatanga

I will try to find some time to type the quotes. Farid Ji learned Persian and Arabic and this is why he could not compose anything in a foreign language (Punjabi) without praising Mohammad and Islam. Farid Saani Ji uses non-Islamic words like Gur, Saadh and Prabh. All Muslim sufis use the word Murshid but not Gur.

There are different reasons for different bhagats. Some common reasons are usage of Punjabi language and many words are same as that of the rest of Gurbani. Even the grammar of bhagat bani is of the same time period. Gurbani grammar of the 9th Guru’s Bani is a little different due to difference of 60 years or so. Language changes over time. Had bhagats like Farid Ji, Kabir Ji, Namdev Ji, Jaidev Ji and Ramanand Ji been born centuries before 1469 then their language would’ve been much different. Their concepts on ideal human being, God etc. are same as Gurmat. They use Punjabi alphabets as used in Punjabi. For example, Kabir Ji uses Kakka, Khakha, Gagga etc. instead of K, Kh, G as used in Hindi. Bani of bhagats itself has similar words which points towards them being contemporaries. For example, Kabir Ji has Aarti Shabad and so does Bhagat Ravidas Ji. Bhagat Dhanna Ji has that as well. Patti Bani of Kabir Ji is similar to Guru Sahib’s Bani. Most importantly, they emphasize on adopting Satguru to obtain Naam. In Gurbani and Vaars no one but Guru Nanak Sahib is Satguru. No human is praised as a Satguru in Gurbani and no avatar is granted this status. Bhai Veer Singh and Bhai Randhir Singh are firm on this point. Further, Gurbani has unison principles and there exists unity in thought and practice which means Guru Sahib and bhagats cannot be referring to different persons as Satguru otherwise there lies a contradiction and varied teachings. Bhai Randhir Singh has discussed features and traits of Satguru very elaborately in his books. There are historical proofs in Sikh and non-Sikh sources that all the bhagats met Guru Sahib. Some bhagats were contemporaries of the 3rd Guru. Finally, Guru Sahib’s own testimony in Gurbani is the clearest proof that all bhagats were blessed by Satguru who according to Gurbani is always one, has been and ever will be. There was an article posted on this site about 6 years ago proving Bhagat Farid Ji being a Sikh of Guru Sahib. You will have to search for it. If I find a copy on my computer, I will post it. Guru Rakha

Bijla Singh Ji, you mentioned:

Sant Ji also believed in the traditional viewpoint that Bhagats were called from Sachkhand. I personally do not agree with these viewpoints because it opens a gateway to myriads of questions on the authenticity of Gurbani.

Please provide examples what you mean by that?

Let me clarify it better. There are two viewpoints I listed:

1. Bhagat Farid Ji was born in 12th century whose Bani is in Aad Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
  2. Bhagats were called from Sachkhand.

I personally do not agree with both but it is the first statement that puts authenticity of Gurbani in question. I did not mean that the traditional belief that bhagats were called from Sachkhand goes against authenticity of Gurbani. This is why I wrote:

I personally do not agree with these (above two) viewpoints because it (the first one) opens a gateway to myriads of questions on the authenticity of Gurbani. I should’ve written it better the first time. The point I was trying to make was that some sakhis were invented due to lack of research but more research in past 100 years has given us a better understanding of history of Gurbani and bhagats. The second viewpoint is not anti-Gurmat but it is historically incorrect. I intend no disrespect to anyone. Guru Rakha

I always knew that was false thanks for backing this up with historical proof. Anyway who said bhagats were called from sackhand?

Daas

Consciousness

From what I know. I believe Bhai Sahib Bhai Randheer Singh and also Sant Giani Gurbachan Singh Jee Khalsa Bhindranwale said this. Can anyone please find a written source or audio? Dhanvaadh sadsangat ji. bhul chukk muaf.

From what I know. I believe Bhai Sahib Bhai Randheer Singh and also Sant Giani Gurbachan Singh Jee Khalsa Bhindranwale said this. Can anyone please find a written source or audio? Dhanvaadh sadsangat ji. bhul chukk muaf.

Thank you for getting back to me; I wonder why they would say this? But thanks to Bijla Ji we now know the truth.

ਭੁਲਣ ਓੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਓਭੁਲੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਕਰਤਾਰੁ ]

bhulan a(n)dhar sabh ko abhul guroo karathaar ||

Everyone makes mistakes; only the Guru the Creator are infallible.

It is written in early Sikh history books that while compiling Aad Guru Granth Sahib, Guru Sahib called bhagats from Sachkhand to recite their Bani for inclusion. I think the early Sikhs must have been curious to find out how Bhagat Bani was included and verified for authenticity when some bhagats lived centuries before 1469. So they came up with this explanation. It eliminates any questions of bani collection and authenticity because bhagats themselves spoke their bani and Bhai Gurdas Ji wrote it. This remained the widely accepted explanation until early 19th century. When Sikhs started to write history on western lines, they sought an empirical explanation. Bunch of theories were put forth by different scholars. At the same time Bhasaurs were attacking Bhagat Bani. Prof. Sahib Singh’s arguments in defense of Bhagat Bani are revolutionary but to say that Guru Sahib collected bani of bhagats who lived hundreds of years before Guru Sahib is the most unsound argument in my opinion. As more research was done, it was found that all bhagats were contemporaries of Guru Sahib. Guru Rakha

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal,

Dear all,

The seeker receives true Naam and all his worldly identity is lost.

Is it not surprising that all Hymns in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee are from enlightened ones who lost their names given by their parents.

Sikhi today is progressing by researching their other names.

Balbir Singh