Question

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh jio

this been bothring me for so long. liek form teh day they talked bout this in sikh_agenda or may be in sikh_discusion group....

is it ok for a person to touch someones feet out of respect?

i mean we do shoe seva..isn't it same as touchin someones feet.

someone plz exaplin it to me. cuz since i was young i always had this urge to touch old baba jezz...bejis feet.

my beji used to touch my feet...lol kiss then as well (i know eww....jokin bout eww part..that was out of love i know) . i jus dont know what Guru sahib ji says bout this.

i mean sometimes i jus sleep or take nap...aroud my mum jis feet u know. like she be takin nap and i jus go sleep on her feet(grab then like u would take a teady bear or any toy to sleep with..or jus make her feet my pillow. it really feels good. and once she yelled at me, that im not suppose to do that...im her child...etc...

im not jus askin bout touvhin my mums feet but others too.

help :D

bhul chul muaff karni

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh jio

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SikhForLife
is it ok for a person to touch someones feet out of respect?

i mean we do shoe seva..isn't it same as touchin someones feet.

is it ok to touch their feet.. sure! they r just feet.. as long as ur not putting them above God.. human society has made feet as something bad.. why cant feet be treated the same as hands?

why is touching feet symbolized as giving respect ,,

only person u should bow to is God.. keep god in consiousness.. touch anything u want.. physical body doesnt do any harm

ur not doing someones pooja or anything..

personally i DONT touch someones feet.. i like shaking hands batter.. even if the other person is 100 yrs old..

the "charan thooor mukh laye" concept is a metaphor for humbleness.. that we have to shed our ego... and serve the saints and humanity..

ppl clean the sangat's shoes.. i so disagree with that!! u wanna waste time cleaning someones shoes? jeez.. go to langar and do seva thats better.. or go and listen to keertan and katha.. or go volunteer at a local hospital or somthin..

why is touching feet symbolized as giving respect ,,
Just because you are lowering yourself infront of the person. You cannot touch anyone's feet just by standing face to face with them.
ppl clean the sangat's shoes.. i so disagree with that!! u wanna waste time cleaning someones shoes? jeez.. go to langar and do seva thats better.. 

"jeez" (hehe, sorry tongue.gif ) but I wonder why Satguru Arjan Sahib didn't think about this when cleaning the shoes of the Sangat of Kabul outside of Sri Harmander Sahib?

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh

If you are punjabi then its mandetory that you touch ( peri hath la ) an older person's feet. Boys are encouraged to do it where as kuriyans are not always encouraged cos its thought that Dhiya ( Daughters) Bhena to PEri Hath nahi Lavaune chaide.

Neways , Yeah my Daddi ji used to kiss my hands, forehead and feet when i was tiny. :D

As for a Sikhi perspective then i belive that even Guru Nanak Dev ji Did Mutha take to Guru Angad Dev ji after Giving him the GurGaddi.

Sadh Sangat's Charan Dhool ( Dust from the feet ) is highly respected. Thats why before u enter a Gurdwara sahib people Touch the first Step of the gurdwara and rub it on their forhead.

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh..

waheguru ji...by touching someone's feet... i guess you're jus showing that you r lower than the person.... if someone did try to touch my fett... i jus make a request that they don't do that... but jus an additional question fi everyone started doing this and started showing themselves lower than the other, wouldn't it create like a mess... since everyone's gona be like "no no.. ji i'm lower than you.."??... it's also in the indian coulture that we do that.. but is it right to bow infront of anyone except guru granth sahib ji?..

in gurbani itgoes

" sir ucha, nivain charan

sir pairee ponde "

so whaeguru ji i don't exatly know what to say... tell you the truth i myself am confused about it.. :D .. hmm...

lets just see what the sangat has to say..

bhul chuk muaaf karni.. pray.gif

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh ^_^

Mae paereey phinda tuhadaeyyy ^_^

it's cauz of people from different parts of punjab.. I never saw paeyreee paina when i lived in punjab like paying respect or stuff.. i think it's doabaeyy singhs/kaurs who do thatt..

BUt i find nothing wrong with this.. It's like being humble.. and preet these guys on agenda/sikhnewsdiscussion have no work except finding faults from non-faulty stuff.. They just want to find something and then they will die till end to win on the particular argument.. lol.. it's very pity to see that.. (*BTW, sikh agenda is awesome group and being run by great singhs)

Gurfateh..

waheguru ji

so its ok to take mathaa out of respect to our elders.

i guess vikcy bai ji,

duabaiye do that a lot. u touch ur older peoples feet to show respect(that im lower then u..u is my respected elder and we learning fromu..etc. touchin feet of older peeps is symbole of sayin i respect u, and ur will comes before mine cuz u older then me..and so on) its really sweet if u think bout it.

older person feels good inside, and blesses u! and when u get sweet words and prayesz out of ur bajuuragz(elderlys) ... u feel piyyaar from them(somertimes makes ur day). i guess its jus love bond between young and old B) .

like when someone says someting good bout u ...u tend to be more close to them.....i knwo sikh is suppose to be in chardi kall all da time, but u can be in chardi kall aif peopel aroud u see ur humblness and piyyar of Guru ji in u. these lil things makes us see that bond of nature, akal ji(love)

bhul chuk muaff karni

and by my thinking the conclusion i came up with is..that its ok to touch feet of ur elders!(after all they are the one who took care of us, i know waheguru ji is the one doing everything and He should be thanked, but waheguru ji is protecting us thru them..so ina way we are thanking wahwguru ji when we thanks people aroud us. when we make someone angry for no reason that person gets sad....upset..and so does waheguru, cuz u hurt his creture..waheguru recides in all. and when u make someone happy...waheguru ji gets happy too)

i know i sound like a lil kid, but its a simple concepts that if

we have thinking like kids, we can understand it(its jus my thinking ji).

i mean by touchin ur elsers feet dont make u any small, but makes a special place for u in others heart.

oh yea i jus remeberd.

someone told me, long ago 6 months or more...wheni was talkin to them bout bhai Jeevan singh ji.

He said that bahi sahib touhes all gursikhs feet. i can;t descibe it but i feel in love with bahi sahib right there at that moment. hope i get to meet him :D

bhul chuk muaff karni againa ji.

and do help me to become a sikh

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Guest mehtab

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

My dad's as well as mom's side of the family are both from doaba region of Punjab. And yes i was always encouraged to touch feet of elders as a sign of respect. i'd say there is nothing wrong in it. After all, isnt a Sikh supposed to be humble?

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

gurkiya_sakhiya bibjee what ever ur doing parey pana is rite ,nothing is wrong in it, it is humbleness as said by soggs guru arjan dev je cleaned sangats shoes but remmber one thing GURU GRANTH SAHIB IS ABOVE ALL bas baki u clean shoes or do anytype of sewa ,i have heard many mahapurkhs cleans gurdwara sahibs toilets for this nimarta take care guru sahae