Visiting London ... What are some Sikh-related things to see/do?

Guest SinghSahib99

Guest Guv'nor up North

Just to clarify WLS.

'North' to Londoners mean any part of the British Isles outside the M25 ringroad that surrounds the city.

Even places like Devon or Brighton!!

;)

yeah i was kinda thinking you arent a typical american are you? cos we really could do without you visiting if you are. What about France or Italy, they are nice places with lots of things to see.

I have to, God forbid, visit London some time soon, and i know im gonna throw up as soon as i hear that horrible screeching that passes for southern accents and supposed inference that London and Londoners are "it".

Check out the following museums:

Victoria & Albert

Science Museum

Natural History Museum

Imperial War Museum

All easily done in one day. For Sikhi related stuff you will see things at the V&A museum (like Maharaja Ranjit Singh's throne) and Imperial war museum (like cannons captured from the Anglo-Sikh Wars).

Check out the following museums:

Victoria & Albert

Science Museum

Natural History Museum

Imperial War Museum

I must of missed the Sikh items at the Science Museum and Natural History Museum. Can you remind us what they are ?

yeah i was kinda thinking you arent a typical american are you? cos we really could do without you visiting if you are. What about France or Italy, they are nice places with lots of things to see.

I have to, God forbid, visit London some time soon, and i know im gonna throw up as soon as i hear that horrible screeching that passes for southern accents and supposed inference that London and Londoners are "it".

OK well you're not gonna get any of us southerners to go north of Watford unless there's a wedding or akhand path. These 2 are the only reasonable reasons for doing so. What our American friend, and indeed myself, would like to be made aware of is places to visit north of London that have items relevant to Sikh history. Any ideas ? So far, most of the suggestions he's been given involve shopping malls, trendy street markets and museums showing dinosaur bones. I'd like to know when and how the British education system dropped to such an alarming level that we have produced a generation that thinks Americans have never seen a shopping mall, trendy clothes or a picture of a dinosaur. :stupidme:

I may be in Leicester for a day, are there any must-see things there?

Leicester is kinda boring really. Southall has a huge Sikh Population, you can go to the Havelock Road Gurudwara, its pretty amazing and its huge you can always go to Jalebi Junction along southall broadway if you are super bored :)

Leicester is home to the first registered Sikh musuem in Europe, it was opened at Guru Nanak Gurdwara in the early 90's. Same Gurdwara Sahib the Queen visited for her Golden jubliee year 10 years back. It is Leicester oldest Gurdwara dating back over half a century but second largest.

Leicester has a huge Indian population, it is predicted to be the first CITY in the UK where whites will be a minority. Obviously the highest proportion of ethnic miniorities is Gujarati Hindus, followed by Gujarati (Kutchi) Muslims it has a high number of Sikhs. Infact more so than most cities apart from London and then Birmingham.

At the moment the Diwali lights are up, there is no city in the UK where the Diwali light turn on attracts more visitors than the Chritstmas light turn on. About 30 - 35,000 people attend. Diwali Day itself a similar if not more number of people attend. Biggest Diwali celebrations outside of India.

Leicester is a very multicultural city it has the second biggest carnival after Notting Hill. It has many other non Sikhi attractions including excellent shopping if you have been sucked into maya like me there are many designer shops which other cities do not evem have.Also the National Space Centre is worth a visit.

Canadagoose Leicester is not boring, ?

I agree Leicester is not boring and has a massive Sikh community. I would recommend a visit to GuruTegh Bahadur Gurdwara in Leicester. Amazing and diverse sangat in a thriving Gurdwara... In addition to the national space centre^ and Sikh Museum there is an amazing Jain Temple and Swami Narayana Mandir you could visit... the architecture is amazing!!! The Belgrave road area would be the Gujarati version of Southall...