Picture

Guest a bit concerned

Regarding Seli topi, I wouldn't be suprised if guru maharaj wore it especially when guru maharaj travelled in muslim countries but to suggest they wore it all the time until guru hargobind sahib time, in my opinion its taking bit too far by lefties and going over board with it.

Muslims wear turbans in arab countries?

There is a seli topi at kiratpur sahib I think.

The traditions say that the Guru's wore dastar and sometimes seli over the dastar. the seli is not a hat, it is a piece of cloth, like a ramaal, but not square.

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing worng with using one of this pictures to help you focus on the ONE AKAAL PURAKH.

Infact in gurbani it advises us to do this to help meditate-

ang 864 SGGSji, Guru Arjan Dev ji

ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਮਨ ਮਹਿ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥

Gur kī mūraṯ man mėh ḏẖi▫ān.

Meditate on the image of the Guru within your mind

Moorat could be in form of an image, a photograph, a painting, a statue even. Guru Maharaaj clearly says 'man meh dhiaan', not to physically have an image to aid your focus coz we're so weak that we need a false representation of Guru Sahib made up by some artist to help us.

im sorry, but the two above posts are way off. Guru Ji is not talking about the physical roop of the guru, be that painting or whatever physical image of them we think, it is talking about the actual Guru, which is the shabad. The moorat is actually the shabad, and Guru Ji is saying "Within your mind, focus on the body of the Guru" ie no parrot repeating but conscious love of the shabad you are reciting.

It has nothing at all to do with murti's, murti pooja, or anything like that.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki Fateh Sangat JioThose Vadabhagi Gurmukh Pyare that have had the darshan of Guru Sahib will tell you that they look nothing like that photo of Sobha Singh, not even a tiny bit. So I can only suggest that that image shouldn't be used.

Which vadbhagi Gurmukh pyare? The only other person who claims to have had darshan after meditation are the Mahapurukhs of Nanaksar Kaleran - I've been and seen the pictures there myself. The images there, are very similar to those of Bhai Sobha Singh's. When no one knows for sure, why argue over subtleties?

As for Guru Nanak being depicted with soft hands being incomptabile with him doing kheti, then that may be true. There are sakis that tell us he took up farming at Kartarpur. However his clan (the Bedi Khatris) were landowners, but did not do the work themselves - they usually hired raiyats. He too may have done this. Soft hands or not - its no big deal either way.

The traditions say that the Guru's wore dastar and sometimes seli over the dastar. the seli is not a hat, it is a piece of cloth, like a ramaal, but not square.

Can you please provide any reference to this to prove what you wrote about our Guru Sahib putting a topi (or whatever you want to call it) directly on or over the dastar?