of the cooling dew!

The dew is falling

everywhere,

And wet is every rose.

The gentle breath

of heaven blows.

Bhai Vir Singh

taken from : http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/o-master-of-the-order-of-the-seli/

Ok on page 76 they give that Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Arjan wore the woolen seli. Can we confirm this from janm sakhi? Do they give any reference to specific Janam Sakhis to this statement ?

taken from :http://www.sikhee.com/guru-hargobind.html

As usual Bhai Buddha placed before the Guru a seli (a woolen cord worn as a necklace or twisted round the head by the former Gurus) and a turban, as appurtenances of his calling. The Guru ordered the seli to be placed in the treasury and reminding him about his prophecy said to Bhai Buddha, "My endeavors shall be to fulfil thy prophecy. My seli shall be a swordbelt, and I shall wear my turban with a royal aigrette. Give me a sword to wear instead of seli."

the above para tells you what a seli is, it is NOT a topi. dont get confused over this and the hukamnama on topis.

Ok on page 76 they give that Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Arjan wore the woolen seli. Can we confirm this from janm sakhi? Do they give any reference to specific Janam Sakhis to this statement ?

i dont know, i havent read the book to see what specifically they based it on.

Bhaji I am not looking for seli but reference for what you stated that our Guru Sahib wore them.

Bhaji, after 5 minutes on the net, i have found umpteen different sources that say Guru's wore a seli upto 6th Guru. Maybe you can endeavour a little as well.

I just cannot imagine sri guru nanak dev ji maharaj coming to this earth (just to check upon his sikhs) wearing woolen seli only to be thrown out of darbar sahib by SGPC task force..lol.. !! (Note - I do have great respect for sgpc but sometimes punjabi tribalism takes over them!!)

It's good to find out or have discussion on guru maharaj historical relics but guys Lets not confine sargun avtari satguru nanak dev ji into our own "pre-conceived" notions how they dressed/ appeared either way..!! Satguru nanak dev nirankari is nirankar can take any saroop he likes to test his sikhs - dressed as sarblohi tyar bar tyar khalsa to raj yogi guru maharaj to dressed as beggar in mud without any clothes..thats a beauty of satguru ji...satguru ji does need to premissions from us- we are only kokars(dogs) at his darbar...dog is only there to serve his master as murda hoi na murid not question him.!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont know, i havent read the book to see what specifically they based it on.

Bhaji, after 5 minutes on the net, i have found umpteen different sources that say Guru's wore a seli upto 6th Guru. Maybe you can endeavour a little as well.

Bhaji you stated that pictures and paintings you show is the seli we were talking about. Even I was confused. But now it is clear. Seli has nothing to do with those paintings and pictures on sikhiwiki

So the pictures in sikhiwiki about seli are wrong. Seli is just a string so thats way different what artists depict them wearing and is certainly not a rumaal you earlier stated

yes, apologies bhaji, i just couldnt think of the closest comparison to make to suggest what a seli looked like. So many people on here saying its a topi, i just couldnt think of how to describe it, until i read the part that i c & p'd. Actually it has been ages since i last saw that seli, (so thanks for making me refresh my memory) but the image in my mind of it was like a ramaal for some reason.

You still love me yeah?

I just cannot imagine sri guru nanak dev ji maharaj coming to this earth (just to check upon his sikhs) wearing woolen seli only to be thrown out of darbar sahib by SGPC task force..lol.. !! (Note - I do have great respect for sgpc but sometimes punjabi tribalism takes over them!!)

It's good to find out or have discussion on guru maharaj historical relics but guys Lets not confine sargun avtari satguru nanak dev ji into our own "pre-conceived" notions how they dressed/ appeared either way..!! Satguru nanak dev nirankari is nirankar can take any saroop he likes to test his sikhs - dressed as sarblohi tyar bar tyar khalsa to raj yogi guru maharaj to dressed as beggar in mud without any clothes..thats a beauty of satguru ji...satguru ji does need to premissions from us- we are only kokars(dogs) at his darbar...dog is only there to serve his master as murda hoi na murid not question him.!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree but we should know the historical facts and not put the things in back of our mind what hear from here and there. We have Janam Sakhis for a reason!