What's your favourite Raag in Gurbani?

N30S1NGH

What's your favourite Raag in Gurbani?. Please share..!!

you did mean singular right? cos some inc yourself have mentioned a few. Im not going to play if you change the rules.

Sri Kalyan, Sri Sarang, Sri Basant, Raag Kanra from top of my head.

these raags dont have the prefix "sri", only Raag Sri Raag does, because it is Shromani Raag, shortened to Sri Raag, or Raag Sri Raag. These raags all follow. Dont make this mistake again Neo, cos you've made me angry already.

wow, im just gettin into raags, not heard many but of those i have, i love.

how can i learn more about them and listen to more as my search on youtube does not get very far.

thanku ji.

Bhenji, follow this link:

http://www.jawadditaksal.org/index.php/General/raag-siri.html

There is an index of all 31 Raags on the left hand side. When you click on any notation image...a window/tab opens for the audio of that particular shabad.

I personally found it a wonderful compilation!

oh thankuji so much penji, will look at it. i personally found myself some effect it has on me listening to raags, more than other type shabads. i do not understand the raags, but do in my own way, cannot explain it, but since i started listening a in darbar sahib, i felt i heard them before, and connected in a way which i cannot even describe if i try.

From the perspective of gurmat, every raag in SGGS has to be our favourite with Sri Raag as the 'boss' of all raags. Gurbani recited, sung and heard in any raag of SGGS has the potential to transport us into the realms of chardikela and Gurujee's Charan Kamal.

One thing a student of raag learns by listening to the kirtan of 'swaragvasi' Ragi Dharam Singh Zakhmi, or existing raagis such as Bhai Nirmal Singh, Bhai Balbir Singh etc is that it is the knowledge, skill, and ability of a kirtania play a crucial role in bringing out the intrinsic beauty of any raag of SGGS. In the late 70s, I was privileged to listen to kirtan by Ragi Dharam Singh Zakhmi's kirtanee jatha every evening for around 2 months continously on their tour of SE Asia and every evening they would sing about 3 shabads in 3 different raags(apart from morning Asa ki // involving a bouquet of morning raags). This made me realise that all raags are equally beautiful even though their technicalities (e.g gharana, pakar, roh, avroh, vadi and savadi sur, leh, vilambata, etc etc) differ. A blessed and skilled raagi through Gurujee's kirpa can sing Gurbanee kirtan in any raag to connect atma to Paramatma.

Saying that, it is interesting and encouraging to read of the personal favourites of our veers and bhenjee's here, though, no one I think, mentioned Raag Jaijavantee which is utterly mysterious and absolutely fascinating and was used by our Ninth Patshah, Guru Tegh Bahadur Jee. It is a 'stand alone' kind of raag that doesnt group itself like the solace generating 'sorath, tilang, sarang' cluster or the deep mystical 'madhuvantee, sriraag, malkauns, gauree, majh, chandrakauns, kanra' cluster or the 'asavari, asa, todi, bhairavee, bheroh' morning cluster, or the lighter 'bhimpalasi, dhanasri, kalyan, devghandharee, kalavati, shivranjanee, etc' cluster. I would encourage those whose kirtan abhiyaas includes practising raags to play around with this raag(jaijavantee), which is absolutely awesome and deserves so much more attention.

I am very proud and encouraged that the next upcoming generation of Sikhs such as those on this forum have such a deep interest and love for Gurbanee in Raag form. I could not have wished for more for your generatio,n in terms of this interest.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.