Sikh Military Stories

singh135

I tried asking this in a thread some time ago but did not get any feedback. It would be great to hear about other people's experiences of Sikhs in the Military. Does anyone have any elders/family/friends who have been in the army. Which campaigns/wards/battles were they in and what were their experiences?

I often find these stories very inspiring and I'm sure I might not be the only one who thinks this!?....It would be great to build up a little collection of these stories before they get lost into history with elders passing away and taking their previous and invaluable memories/experiences with them. These are jewels of Sikh history and should be archived or at least spread and learnt about. We can start by sharing any memories/stories here in this thread.

I've had my grandad and his brothers from my mums side in the world war 2. People from my dads family are in the Indian army and my cousin brother was in the US army (went to Afghanistan) now he's a police man in Las Vegas. I'll try find some info out about the campaigns. I know my grandad went to Africa and Germany (I think).

I also know this elderly white couple (practically like my real grandparents). The husband died but he used to tell me of Sikh soldiers he saw in the army and how they used to comb their hair and fight like lions. He was posted in India too and went around with Sikh men.

My dada was a ww1 vet. He was just a teen at the time. He was posted in egypt and saw action in france. I'm not sure but I think he was even in palistine for a while.

Me dada's younger brother was a ww2 vet. He fought in burma. But then due to the influence of the INA he mutineed but was caught and put in jail.

My phuphar's brother was in the patiala royal army. He fought in the first kashmir war against the pathan tribal militia since the patiala sikh army was the first to give the tribals a beating and save all of kashmir valley from being taken over by the tribal militia.