Small Question (about lying and joke lying)

jpsingh2

Don't lie to the guru but lie to the world.Guru ji was never saying don't lie to the manmukhs.He was saying don't lie to the true guru.Dont lie to waheguru.

Imagine this....Your in a prison cell and your about to get killed.Your only way out is by lying.Would you do it?

Another scenario.....Your trying to escape the country because your a fugitive.Would you lie to get out?

Another thing is this whole world is a lie.The only thing true is waheguru so dont lie to waheguru.

ਜਗ ਰਚਨਾ ਸਭ ਝੂਠ ਹੈ ਜਾਨਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਰੇ ਮੀਤ ॥ जग रचना सभ झूठ है जानि लेहु रे मीत ॥ Jag racẖnā sabẖ jẖūṯẖ hai jān leho re mīṯ. The world and its affairs are totally false; know this well, my friend.

ਕਹਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਥਿਰੁ ਨਾ ਰਹੈ ਜਿਉ ਬਾਲੂ ਕੀ ਭੀਤਿ ॥੪੯॥ कहि नानक थिरु ना रहै जिउ बालू की भीति ॥४९॥ Kahi Nānak thir nā rahai ji▫o bālū kī bẖīṯ. ||49|| Says Nanak, it is like a wall of sand; it shall not endure. ||49||

I don't lie but If need be I will because this world is a lie.

Don't lie to the guru but lie to the world.Guru ji was never saying don't lie to the manmukhs.He was saying don't lie to the true guru.Dont lie to waheguru.

Imagine this....Your in a prison cell and your about to get killed.Your only way out is by lying.Would you do it?

Another scenario.....Your trying to escape the country because your a fugitive.Would you lie to get out?

Another thing is this whole world is a lie.The only thing true is waheguru so dont lie to waheguru.

I think that's taking it a bit far, as possibly being a judgemental, i.e. I'm an angel whilst the rest of the world is scum so I can do whatever I want. Treat everyone with respect, try not to lie to anyone, Let God judge who is a manmukh or not. The prison example is a bit different, but if you've genuinely done something terrible that deserves prison then shouldn't you take it on the chin and accept punishment? If there's been a miscarriage of justice and you've got a chance to escape (through lying) then maybe.

For example, I know lying is wrong, but if the elephant man came in now in a blouse with some make up on, and said "how do I look?" Would you say, bearing in mind he's depressed and has respiratory problems, would you say "go and take that blusher off you mis-shapened elephant tranny"? No. You'd say "You look nice... John.

Sometimes you've got to lie to spare people's feelings.

I think he's trying to point with differences of 'lying' and 'snitching' !!

Let's say back in Guru ji's times when hindus were being killed unless they converted to islam. Let's say that there was a hindu and his family that had been chased and were to get killed and they somehow found refuge at your house whilst on the run.

Now, when the muslims come knocking on your door to ask if they are hiding there, what do you do ??

Of course you lie and say they are not. !!!!!!!!!

Saving someone from oppression and honouring their rights to freedom is the job and duty of a sikh.

If a sikh has to lie in order to fulfill this duty, then the lie it shall be !!!

This lie is not paap and this lie is to honour the 'Truth'.

So, in effect, it is about lying to the satguru, which thou shall not do, as thou shall Not lie to the Truth !!

I think he's trying to point with differences of 'lying' and 'snitching' !!

Let's say back in Guru ji's times when hindus were being killed unless they converted to islam. Let's say that there was a hindu and his family that had been chased and were to get killed and they somehow found refuge at your house whilst on the run.

Now, when the muslims come knocking on your door to ask if they are hiding there, what do you do ??

Of course you lie and say they are not. !!!!!!!!!

Saving someone from oppression and honouring their rights to freedom is the job and duty of a sikh.

If a sikh has to lie in order to fulfill this duty, then the lie it shall be !!!

This lie is not paap and this lie is to honour the 'Truth'.

So, in effect, it is about lying to the satguru, which thou shall not do, as thou shall Not lie to the Truth !!

That's okay then. I thought Singh was telling us to start lying with gay abandon because nothing matters!

It is said that we shouldn't lie

listen true and say truth....

(anand sahib, near end)

so does this including lying where everyone knows your jokeing eg. being sarcastic and jokeishly exaggerating??

WJKK WJKF AKAL

LOL dude why is there a 'mirche' for a display picture? do you have a strange connection with it? :p

What about lying about your religion to save yourself? I'm reminded of a sakhi where Muslims were looking for Sikhs to kill and they asked one young man. He said he was a Sikh. His mother said "No, he's a Hindu" in order to save him. Yet despite this, the man was defiant and openly declared his Sikhi. I think he then was killed.

Yet Guru Ji in the form of Guru Gobind Singh was called Uch da Pir in order to escape Mughal capture. Not sure if it was him or more likely the Sikhs who were with him. It was to protect Guru Ji so I figure Guru Ji would have forgave them.

I think lying to obtain a dishonest point eg lying about stealing or other wrong doing is wrong but as above, lying to protect the truth, the innocent etc should be acceptable though I suspect is still a sin.