Why do the mods keep locking threads?

Akal Warrior

I don't understand the logic. This is a forum. I have never seen this type of thing anywhere else. A thread is created, people give their opinions, and it slowly fades away. What's the need to lock it? I think the mods need to look at the definition of "discussion forum". For example, in the thread crested by only five about Snatam Kaur, we have our opinions, back and forth, and in the last post someone wrote a negative thing about her not being a Sikh, and then BAM! Thread locked. Why? If the reason is because nindia is being done, then why not erase the whole thing? Why leave the thread un-touched and just lock it? Makes no sense. This forum is changing over the years... Threads being edited, locked... Dictatorship much?

aaawwwww ena gussa... :D

Relax.... be cool... yup locking the thread is wrong... but they do it as those negative comments hamper other people....

I am here on this forum... from a while n i think my maximum threads were locked... but eventually i understood that.. things were becoming hard to digest for some people on this forum n this forum is not to make people guilty of what they r...

This forum have some good admin who are mature enough to take decisions... u dont take tension.. relax... :D :D :D :D :D chill

aaawwwww ena gussa... :D

Relax.... be cool... yup locking the thread is wrong... but they do it as those negative comments hamper other people....

I am here on this forum... from a while n i think my maximum threads were locked... but eventually i understood that.. things were becoming hard to digest for some people on this forum n this forum is not to make people guilty of what they r...

This forum have some good admin who are mature enough to take decisions... u dont take tension.. relax... :D :D :D :D :D chill

But the point is, how are they countering negative comments, when the comments are are all still there? If I came on a thread, and wrote something negative about someone, and the mods lock it... The negative comment is still there! And now, because it's locked, nobody can come on there and try to explain the situation, or give some clarification anymore. It's just locked and sealed, and whatever views that are expressed remain the last thing people see. It's not right. Someone over the past few years has decided to start this thread locking movement, but it's not being done correctly. The mods need to reassess their procedures for locking, editing, moving threads etc.

Your concern is a genuine one. Its not an easy job being a mod on any forum. Let me start by telling you about that thread. Firstly, I didn't follow it a whole lot. Secondly, everyday we were getting 2 or more posts reported from that thread. Thirdly, from what I saw, the thread, like several (if not all) other threads was turning into a tussle that wasn't going to stop. I am not sure if anyone was learning something from it. You seem to have been here long enough, I ask you sir, as an esteemed fellow member, how many Gurmat related threads do we have that run into 22 pages? Now tell me, how many "masalledaar" threads we have that end up having 20 plus pages? So I hope you see what I mean. Today someone started a thread insulting Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Jee Khalsa Bhindranwale. Guess what, it got locked, and if it was left open, then we would have someone ask the question "What the hell is wrong with the mods, why aren't you locking this thread and banning the OP?" Now another thread (which coincidentally you may have liked) got locked, and you have every right to ask why. So sir, I repeat, its not an easy job being a mod. One thing that makes someone happy could enrage another member, and thats the thin line mods have to tread on. Its alright if we're hated for it, thats part of the seva package, all part of the process to ensure things don't get out of hand.

With all due respect (and compassion, which I am allegedly blamed to not possess) I challenge you guys to find me a single thread on this forum in the past 6 years where a controversial issue was discussed and it ended on a happy note with smiles. Please find me one thread where a Panthic issue with varying opinions was discussed and everyone decided to agree to disagree at the end of discussion. I will wait for you to find them. You're right, locking a thread negates the entire purpose of discussion. In the same breath, I also say that none of the mods is happy locking any thread. Someone who has been given a seva wouldn't want to do anything that closes doors to continue that seva. The mods are not owners or controllers of this forum or the discussions that happen here, let me make that very clear. We are mere sevadaars, and there is no single person who is running the show, please trust me on that too. We are the most hated lot on this forum because we have a hard time taking sides. We thought it would help to have some rules, and those rules were made to ensure that unity in the Panth is prioritized under the banner of Sri Akal Takhat Sahib. Looks like half the folks here either don't read them or don't bother to follow them. We encourage members to report posts they find offensive, but even that feature is misused as some folks who can't post without taunting others hit the "Report" button each time they get a response. Now what do you expect mods to do in such cases and how? We're not taking sides, and we're not being partial. Any time anyone feels we are, by all means please let us know.

I am sure there are several members out here who don't want me as an Admin/Mod for a variety of reasons, and I am sure all those reasons are logical. I give you my word, the one person who hates Mehtab Singh being an Admin/Mod is Mehtab Singh himself. My humble request to all those who don't want me as a mod is to please start a poll to find out how many don't want me as mod so that you guys can get rid of me. I will be the first one to vote myself out of this responsibility. Why? Because I don't like putting people under Quality Control (banning them is even worse), I don't like locking threads, but I can't help it! I have to, because that is the seva I've been given. You guys have no idea how many times I've tried to get rid this authority, and how many times I've tried to quit this forum altogether. But I can't, because this is the place where I found the Sangat that helped me become a Singh. I've been here close to 10 years now and I am absolutely frustrated to the exponent of infinity by the level of hatred and intolerance I've seen here among so-called Sikhs. Please do me a favor and vote me out of this position, because as long as I stay on, I swear and promise I will take out every single one of those creatures who posts with hatred and intolerance. I've been doing it for years now and will go on till you vote me out, so please do. Any one of you who calls himself/herself a Sikh, and posts against another Sikh or non-Sikh with hatred and/or intolerance in his/her heart, you need to get rid of me because I am the only reason you will never be able to post on here. I've asked in the past "How do you want me to improve?", but never got sane replies, so I also quit asking for feedback (doesn't mean it wouldn't help if still given).

I am not going to lock this thread. Please feel free to express how badly you want me gone, as I need your blessings before quitting. Akal Warrior veer, since the closing of that thread has caused you offense, I apologize, and will re-open it. I don't ask any guarantee from you that it won't get any more uglier than it already has, I will let you see it for yourself, with the hope that I am proved wrong.

To tell ya the truth,you are my favourite mod lol.Your unbiased and a good phrend and you care for people.You can also be stern as well and we need people like you.

If you quit being I mod I will find you and force you lol.Ill also fill your inbox up everyday just to annoy you :p

Thanks for your genuine response Mehtab Singh. I wasn't talking about you in particular, just the whole concept of locking threads prematurely in general. I understand that you have a huge seva on your hands and I would like to personally thank you for doing this.

I guess my main concern is that sometimes a thread is running, and misinformation is being presented, and by the time a person who can clarify things, or tell the other side of the story shows up, it's already locked. The thread about Snatam Kaur was just an example. The last post before it locked was a direct attack on her, saying she is not a Sikh. And the posts before that were a few videos showing people immersed in meditation and dancing. That's not something I would do, I enjoy relaxed, calm simran, but how can we say they are wrong or committing some sin? Maybe that's their preferred method of remembering God. I'm not gonna judge because we all have different ways of expressing ourselves. Now, if someone new just happens to stumble upon that thread, they will not get the whole story (or another way to look at it) They just see a few videos of people dancing around to Waheguru simran and comments like "if anyone thinks she is a Sikh, they need to read Gurbani" and then the thread is locked.

I apologize to you Mehtab Singh and other mods if you feel I'm out of line. I just don't like it when other Gursikhs are attacked by the Panthic police, and false information is given, and before someone can give their opinion to perhaps put people's minds at ease, the thread is locked. We need more love in the panth and less judgement.

Your concern is a genuine one. Its not an easy job being a mod on any forum. Let me start by telling you about that thread. Firstly, I didn't follow it a whole lot. Secondly, everyday we were getting 2 or more posts reported from that thread. Thirdly, from what I saw, the thread, like several (if not all) other threads was turning into a tussle that wasn't going to stop. I am not sure if anyone was learning something from it. You seem to have been here long enough, I ask you sir, as an esteemed fellow member, how many Gurmat related threads do we have that run into 22 pages? Now tell me, how many "masalledaar" threads we have that end up having 20 plus pages? So I hope you see what I mean. Today someone started a thread insulting Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Jee Khalsa Bhindranwale. Guess what, it got locked, and if it was left open, then we would have someone ask the question "What the hell is wrong with the mods, why aren't you locking this thread and banning the OP?" Now another thread (which coincidentally you may have liked) got locked, and you have every right to ask why. So sir, I repeat, its not an easy job being a mod. One thing that makes someone happy could enrage another member, and thats the thin line mods have to tread on. Its alright if we're hated for it, thats part of the seva package, all part of the process to ensure things don't get out of hand.

With all due respect (and compassion, which I am allegedly blamed to not possess) I challenge you guys to find me a single thread on this forum in the past 6 years where a controversial issue was discussed and it ended on a happy note with smiles. Please find me one thread where a Panthic issue with varying opinions was discussed and everyone decided to agree to disagree at the end of discussion. I will wait for you to find them. You're right, locking a thread negates the entire purpose of discussion. In the same breath, I also say that none of the mods is happy locking any thread. Someone who has been given a seva wouldn't want to do anything that closes doors to continue that seva. The mods are not owners or controllers of this forum or the discussions that happen here, let me make that very clear. We are mere sevadaars, and there is no single person who is running the show, please trust me on that too. We are the most hated lot on this forum because we have a hard time taking sides. We thought it would help to have some rules, and those rules were made to ensure that unity in the Panth is prioritized under the banner of Sri Akal Takhat Sahib. Looks like half the folks here either don't read them or don't bother to follow them. We encourage members to report posts they find offensive, but even that feature is misused as some folks who can't post without taunting others hit the "Report" button each time they get a response. Now what do you expect mods to do in such cases and how? We're not taking sides, and we're not being partial. Any time anyone feels we are, by all means please let us know.

I am sure there are several members out here who don't want me as an Admin/Mod for a variety of reasons, and I am sure all those reasons are logical. I give you my word, the one person who hates Mehtab Singh being an Admin/Mod is Mehtab Singh himself. My humble request to all those who don't want me as a mod is to please start a poll to find out how many don't want me as mod so that you guys can get rid of me. I will be the first one to vote myself out of this responsibility. Why? Because I don't like putting people under Quality Control (banning them is even worse), I don't like locking threads, but I can't help it! I have to, because that is the seva I've been given. You guys have no idea how many times I've tried to get rid this authority, and how many times I've tried to quit this forum altogether. But I can't, because this is the place where I found the Sangat that helped me become a Singh. I've been here close to 10 years now and I am absolutely frustrated to the exponent of infinity by the level of hatred and intolerance I've seen here among so-called Sikhs. Please do me a favor and vote me out of this position, because as long as I stay on, I swear and promise I will take out every single one of those creatures who posts with hatred and intolerance. I've been doing it for years now and will go on till you vote me out, so please do. Any one of you who calls himself/herself a Sikh, and posts against another Sikh or non-Sikh with hatred and/or intolerance in his/her heart, you need to get rid of me because I am the only reason you will never be able to post on here. I've asked in the past "How do you want me to improve?", but never got sane replies, so I also quit asking for feedback (doesn't mean it wouldn't help if still given).

I am not going to lock this thread. Please feel free to express how badly you want me gone, as I need your blessings before quitting. Akal Warrior veer, since the closing of that thread has caused you offense, I apologize, and will re-open it. I don't ask any guarantee from you that it won't get any more uglier than it already has, I will let you see it for yourself, with the hope that I am proved wrong.

Veerji...... Tuc kithe jaana ni...mai tuwanu jaan ni dena.... Tuc apni jagah thik.... ho..... Tuc etho di gaye na... te mai eh site hack kar leni... fer wekhdi kaun chalaunda enhu mere veer de bigerrrrrr..... :angry2:

People luv u here... so as I..... u always make me understand things na... how can u leave me :( u will not go nor u will quit... u r correct...in ur sense.. some people actually dnt think before posting like me..........

U WILL NOT QUIT........ :nono: coz u r warrior..... Tuc keha mainu sewa hai... kari jaa reha m... bhuliyo na..... No Anger :(

I read his(Akal warrior) post here and could have answered him here, but Thank You Mehtab Singh G, you opened the thread and let the discussion go on, In my opinion we cannot pick and choose Sikhism for ourself, this way of life from sikhi is appreciated and I will live this way and I don't like this way of life from sikhi I leave it. There are opinion and will be discussed. What Lady was doing in video strictly prior to my post was the reason for my post. You don't want to see a man doing what they were doing in video around you. She carries herself as Sikh, if she is sikh then she might be aware, this is wrong. If I am wrong please correct me.