National Post: Article says 'poor quality Punjabi and Pakistani immigrants' cause outsourcing to India

khaljee

This article seems to praise Gujurat and BJP while casting aspersions on Punjabis (code word for Sikh I think) and Pakistan (Muslim).. I have put in some select parts below...

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2013/04/16/worker-visas-that-work/

Much of this is the result of a generally poor quality of educated immigrants whose skills do not fit our labour market needs.

Consider the origin of most immigrants. According to Canadian immigrations statistics, until 2004 Pakistan, with one tenth the population of India, supplied half as many immigrants to Canada. While many immigrants do come to Canada from India, there are strong indications that many arrive from less industrially and technologically advanced regions of India.

A huge number of Indian immigrants to Canada arrive from the agricultural state of Punjab. The Canadian consulate in Punjab has experienced the highest rates of fraudulent applications, many times higher than in Delhi. Punjab is not a major center of industry and technological development in India.

In contrast, most Indian immigrants to the U.S. arrive from Gujurat. This state is one of India’s most industrially powerful, with a government that has been rated internationally by the Fraser Institute as the most efficient and corruption-free in the country. Many other technology professionals originate in South India, where the technology capital of Bangalore is administered by the same BJP party which runs Gujurat.

This guy is an <banned word filter activated> lol

No one takes him seriously, there are funny videos exposing how stupid he is. If I'm not mistaken he doesn't have a real professional job.

Why promote an opinion on here and call it an article? Opinion is not fact and is nowhere near up to being called an article

The author of the article is most likely biased against Panjabis, but the Gujrat, compared to Panjab, is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of industrial modernisation and sophistication. It's not surprising to learn Gujrat offers a high quality of immigrant considering what their people have at their disposal. Of course, the neglects to mention the mitigating factors in Panjab which have left the state in the mess it finds itself in, i.e. an ineffectual and corrupt ruling party more concerned with keeping its oar in religious matters than tackling issues which will allow the average Panjabi to progress in life; factors which can be traced back to the unrest caused by the uprisings of the 80s and 90s, and subsequent government interference in day-to-day Panjabi life.

Gujerat is more industrialized than Punjab as it is near to Bombay. Infrastructure wise Punjab is way ahead of Gujerat and more prosperous than Gujerat as wealth is more evenly distributed.

In what way is the infrastructure in Punjab way ahead of Gujrat.

I believe you are referring to the the structured way corruption, alcohol consumption,

drug abuse, female foeticide, abuse of human rights is way ahead in Punjab.

In what way is the infrastructure in Punjab way ahead of Gujrat.

I believe you are referring to the the structured way corruption, alcohol consumption,

drug abuse, female foeticide, abuse of human rights is way ahead in Punjab.

These are social evils and present everywhere. Human rights violation is rampant in India. Remember where Godhra is located?

Infrastructure does not include social evils.