Is reading guru ki bani in Gurmukhi or translation in English same thing

If i read nitnem as it is written in gutka sahib and doesn't understand it but if I read the translation in English I understand and enjoy it more. Like nitnem. And now I wanted to sehaj paath for the first time and wanted to ask, would it be same if I just read the translation in English. Please advice.

I know exactly what you mean !

I have actually tried it both ways and Yes, you can feel the word of the shabad and the guru much better if you can understand it.

So if the English translations are for you, then go for it !

However, I find that because it is poetry, then the "real essence'' is experienced in the gurmukhi language even though only a few words may be understandable.

So, my advice is to read each shabad in gurmukhi or transliteration if you need, so that you are saying the words as intended in the poetic form and then read the translation to get the better understanding.

I know this takes 'double' the time, but in all honesty you will feel 'double the anand' in doing so and it will be worthwhile in the long run.

I

To just add one point.

It might take double time in couple of reading but you will understand better.

Earth quake have just hit North India. My chair is shaking.

If i read nitnem as it is written in gutka sahib and doesn't understand it but if I read the translation in English I understand and enjoy it more. Like nitnem. And now I wanted to sehaj paath for the first time and wanted to ask, would it be same if I just read the translation in English. Please advice.

Translation should not replace the original if that is what you mean. Translation is good to read for understanding. Read Gurbani as it is, but also read translation. Read both.

Your question is if it is the same to read the translation and the answer is no. Translation is not divine, it is not revealed, it is a product of human intellect and imperfect. Hence, it is not Gurbani. Any reward one gets from reading Gurbani cannot be obtained from translation. It is analogous to one drinking water and one simply saying water. Guess whose thirst will be quenched? Even if you do not understand Gurbani, still read it because it has the power to cleanse your mind. Read translation to understand it and apply it to your jeevan. Gurbani instructs us to read, sing and listen to Gurbani not the translation. Guru Rakha

Spot On !! :biggrin2:

A well constructed answer !