Why do we do Nagar Kirtans?

This tradition is only a few decades old. The earliest reference to a nagar kirtan i know of, if when Sant Attar Singh brought Guru Maharaj to the public, on a elephant. from there it has slowly grown, to now where it seems that if a nagar kirtan doesnt happen, sikhi is finished.

Can you please stop over dramatising your views by saying utter illogical stuff like, "to now where it seems that if a nagar kirtan doesnt happen, sikhi is finished."

That's your opinion that "Nagar Kirtans are NOT important in making younger sikhs aware of anything."[/size]

It surely makes them aware of the their history and heritage. It also instils a sense of pride about our religion that we

Bro, that's YOUR opinion. My opinion is borne of experience and hands-on participation. Nagar kirtans in the uk esp, have become a ritual.

I havent in 11 years heard any Sikh or non-sikh say anything about learning anything from Nagar kirtans about learning history or heritage. During the course of which over £100,000 has been spent.

Lets just be thankful they're still called nagar kirtans by everyone in the UK. In Canada they've even changed their names to 'parades'.

Also, lets be thankful that, in the UK, the only flag on view is the Khanda, with even city councils such as Southampton removing the Union Jack from their town halls for the day and hoisting the Khanda instead. In Canada and America it's the Maple Leaf and the Star Spangled Banner that is prominent. Be thankful for the way we have it. Every time, after a nagar kirtan in cities across the world, just read the comments from readers in local papers . The ordinary man and woman in the street has nothing but wonderful things to say about Sikhs and Sikhism. £50,000 or whatever it costs to organise is nothing compared to the genuine interest it brings to Sikhs. You can't put a price on great publicity like that.

I agree with the fact that it brings interest to people about Sikhs. But I still don't think they're worth it when so much money is being spent on them when we can spend the money on other useful things.

Also why does Toronto need to have two Nagar Kirtans every April? I went to both this year because I wanted to see what the difference between them was. The first one was good, but a political fight started in the second one and it was a 6 hour walk because the senior citizens were walking extremely slowly. So much food was wasted (kids ate half of their langar and threw the rest away). The city wasn't too happy after seeing what happened this year, so that kind of put a bad reputation on us. I really think Toronto should only have one instead of two.

to let Indian govt know that sikhs are still alive (keeping aside the mutual differences)........they can suppress sikhs in punjab but not all over the world.......where governments and people of other countries like US, Canada, England are forced to think who are these people, why are they doing this?. etc.

secondly...people can't take out daswand to help poor......due to some kind of mentality.....but it's easier to spend on langars.....and do some physical sewa......better than doing nothing at all....as life is busy for some people here.......

thirdly....it makes them feel proud to see "khalsa" in thousands ...having their own flag and showing the world who they are.......as "seeing is believing" for majority of beings......

fourthly, it revives the faith in people that "Khalsa" is Guru sahib's son......and we are unique, should not let this oppurtunity go in vain, should wake up

OMG people spend so much on nagar kirtan.....in UK US

Well I luv nagar kirtan because of Martial arts...though I never do it but I like to watch gatka.......

It shows how sikhi is n whats they r upto......

Its good to have nagar kirtan to show to the world that yes we r there following our heritage.....

U meet to sangat..... N young ones r like more enjoying it as they come in contact with other Sikh people......

I think in india they dont spend much....:.there r like people according to their

Will they contribute.....

This nagar kirtan is made for India actually...coz in India every religion celebrates their festival in public.....Like janmastami....people break the matki by climbing on one another.....Muslim has their mohram....sikh nagar kirtan.....n Christians - I see stars n series of light covering their home...in the month of Dec as they celebrate the birth of Jesus......

Its a good thing...... N I like to answer my non-sikh friends when they see Nagar kirtan n gatka....n ask me why n what we actually r n what we do.....

this way people understand the basics of every religion....n I have many non-sikh friendz n they r always ready to have langar of Gurdwara....

This is a great feeling when different religion following people sits together n respecting one......

Being Amritdhari I go to church... Mandir...if my friendz ask for on their fest.....

OMG people spend so much on nagar kirtan.....in UK US

Well I luv nagar kirtan because of Martial arts...though I never do it but I like to watch gatka.......

It shows how sikhi is n whats they r upto......

Its good to have nagar kirtan to show to the world that yes we r there following our heritage.....

U meet to sangat..... N young ones r like more enjoying it as they come in contact with other Sikh people......

I think in india they dont spend much....:.there r like people according to their

Will they contribute.....

This nagar kirtan is made for India actually...coz in India every religion celebrates their festival in public.....Like janmastami....people break the matki by climbing on one another.....Muslim has their mohram....sikh nagar kirtan.....n Christians - I see stars n series of light covering their home...in the month of Dec as they celebrate the birth of Jesus......

Its a good thing...... N I like to answer my non-sikh friends when they see Nagar kirtan n gatka....n ask me why n what we actually r n what we do.....

this way people understand the basics of every religion....n I have many non-sikh friendz n they r always ready to have langar of Gurdwara....

This is a great feeling when different religion following people sits together n respecting one......

Being Amritdhari I go to church... Mandir...if my friendz ask for on their fest.....

What about a masjid?

post-31598-0-63987800-1368233910_thumb.j