Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh ji

ooo thats a toughy...got me thinking.

We've gota love the AK47 yeah?! but theres an israeli version!! the Galil - basically the new improved AK47. so i'd have one of those coz they're simply just badass.

errm i quiet fancy the MIB sort of guns too...something about them.

but until the uk gov gives me special privilages, im pretty arsenal-less :surrender:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh ji

Wahegurujikakhalsawahegurujikifateh,

Thanks for your reply veerji. I meant puratan shasters.

Benti to all the singhs especially the shasterdhari's to add their input to this thread.

Gururakha

Wahegurujikakhalsawahegurujikifateh

For puratan shastars:

1.Katar

2.Pech kabaz

3.Tega

4.Many Chakaras

5.Rhino skin dhal

6.Gurj

7.Two tabars(axes)

8.Khanda

9.Teer Kaman(Bow and Arrow)

10.Barsha

Do dumala shastars count as well?

Kirpan

Khanda

Khanjar

Tegha

Katar

Firangi

A recurve bow with 80-150 lbs force with a good set of arrows

Gandasa or axe

AK santalee

'ruffle' .308/.300

pisthoul

All should be made out of strong, light and reliable steel. Currently I'm interested in Filipino blades a lot, some of them have similarities to Indo-Persian blades as well.

I really want a firangi as well, seems extremely practical in duels or hoseback.

ph-0.jpg

Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharajs command to all Singhs in his hukumnama, to give audience only with Panj Shastar on their person (one may say, at the least).

“Hathiaar panje banhe darsan aavana”

Malcolm refers to the tradition of Panj Shastar in 'Sketch of the Sikhs (1812)'. He says that during the Amrit Sanchaar, the Abilekee is given

"five weapons, a sword, a firelock, a bow and arrow, and a pike-were presented to the initiate”

Teer/Kamaan

Barsha

Shamshir

Tupac

What one understands from these and the historical mentions of Panj Shastar is that a ‘SINGH’ should always keep the sangat of shastar i.e. remain tyaar bar tyaar.

As per any historical or modern army, a soldier is not obsessed with what he likes, but rather keeps a well rounded arsenal. The observation by Malcolm and the many descriptions of the Khalsa Yudh ithihaas and paintings reflect the same. The Khalsa is armed for long range engagement, medium range and short range (hand to hand).

To just have lots of short range weapons makes no sense, as some would have you believe. One has a short dagger (Kataari, Kard, Chhoor etc). One has a sword (Shamshir, Tegha, Sirohi etc). One has medium engagement weapons i.e. Chakkar and Teer/Kamaan and very importantly long range (Tupak).

The military preparation of the Khalsa was like any other soldier past or present, well rounded and prepared for all forms of engagement.

The weapons do not have to be an exact type or name. The important thing is that you have the ability to fight at all levels and are armed as such. The Guru encouraged exploration in weaponry (especially foreign), you should not get obsessed with collecting Indo-Persian antiques, but rather use your valuable time and budget to learn the art of fighting and learn about modern blade/weapon culture world wide. Learn to find and get high quality weapons made which you use to practice with, which you test and don’t worry about being damaged.

Singhs of old, their highest value possession used to be their shastar, they would save for months or even longer, to get a custom made shastar to suit their need and feel. Today we look for the cheapest offers/deals. Would rather spend the money on a 60” TV or a Sports Car.

The above should hopefully give you a clue as to how a Singh should prepare himself.

A few Krav Maga or MMA classes is far from meeting your Guru’s martial tick box.

Ensure you make it your sport/hobby/passion, to learn how to engage at ‘all’ levels. Be well rounded in your martial ability.

ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਅਨੰਦ ਦੁਧਰਖ ਭਟ ਜਦਿਨ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਗਹਮਿੱਕ ਹੈ

ਬਿਨ ਇਕ ਧੀਰਜ ਸੁਨਿ ਰੇ ਨ੍ਰਿਪਤ ਸੁ ਅਉਰ ਦੂਸਰਿ ਟਿੱਕ ਹੈ

i have around 2 swords and one small dagger mostly bought on ebay costing in and around 100 bucks (early 2000's). Not very learned about swords but they looks pretty old.. description says 100+ years in age. I don't know whether they are sikh based swords or not but they sure are asian ones. I always keep one in my room near by bed as I trust on sword more than on gun.