Happy Canada Day To All Canadian Sikhs!

N30S1NGH

Most British Sikhs I know here are from London (and they all support Arsenal). They seem to be rich as well since they tend to live "posher" side of my town.

I LOVE LONDON (my favourite city in the world), but I hate how arrogant some of our Sikh brothers (at least Sikh girls in UK are nice towards us Canadian Sikhs) in the UK could be about Canadian Sikhs and referring us bunch of "pindus".

Most British Sikhs I know here are from London (and they all support Arsenal). They seem to be rich as well since they tend to live "posher" side of my town.

I LOVE LONDON (my favourite city in the world), but I hate how arrogant some of our Sikh brothers (at least Sikh girls in UK are nice towards us Canadian Sikhs) in the UK could be about Canadian Sikhs and referring us bunch of "pindus".

It's called having an inferiority complex, UK sangat's on this board is showing, I could rant on about how many UK Sikhs have immigrated here and thrived and gave examples of how many Canadians WANT to work in London, in the same context students want to study abroad, they want the experience but eventually move back home (Canada in this case); personally anytime I go to the UK it reminds me of a cleaned up far less populated India, way to cramped, generally unfriendly public and abysmal weather, but that's just me, to each their own.

anytime I go to the UK it reminds me of a cleaned up far less populated India, way to cramped, generally unfriendly public and abysmal weather, but that's just me, to each their own.

Seeing how it only mildly snows here once every 5 years and temperatures never reach the freezing lows of Canada this is surely a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Anyway, I'm getting the impression that whilst white Canadians are very much realists the Sikh Canadians are a very touchy lot, easily offended when truths are told.

If anything, this thread should highlight how truth is far more important to Sikhs than fairy tales and misconceptions. Surely that is the essence of being a Sikh ?

For example, what you said above about the UK weather. I'd like to know would you say the same thing about Paris ?

The truth is that the Paris weather is on average 1 degree lower than London in winter and 1 degree higher than London in summer. Paris also has a higher average yearly rainfall than London. So thats it....a tiny 1 degree difference and a higher rainfall. But you're not dealing in truths my friend....you're dealing in misconceptions. You've conditioned your mind into believing that the weather in Paris is beautifull and the weather in London is awful. Until you educate yourself about realities yo're not going to be able to free your mind. Until you open your mind it will forever remain closed.

Now here's a question for you, when have you ever seen a British Sikh on holiday in Punjab displaying the British flag either on his person or in his car or house ?

When have you ever seen the British flag on display during UK nagar kirtans ? I've been to Canadian nagar kirtans and have always seen the Canadian flag being given prominence over the nishan sahib. In Canada, the maple leaf comes first and the nishan sahib comes second. The UK sangat would never allow the British flag to be displayed during a nagar kirtan. In the UK, during nagar kirtans, there is an official ceremony in cities where the city Mayor lowers the British flag from the city hall for the day and raises the Khanda to signify the Khanda's superiority for Sikhs. You ask a 3rd or 4th generation canadian Sikh what he is and the answer is always a proud Canadian. You ask a 3rd or 4th generation British Sikh and the answer will always be in this order: Sikh....Punjabi....Indian....English....European etc etc. British imeans nothing. Most of us hate our country.....we couldn't care less if it died tomorrow and we openly spit on the British flag. There are hundreds of thousands of British Sikhs living and working in Spain, Portugal, Canada, America...all over the world. We are far more open to the world. We are not weighed down by nationalism and patriotism. We are free enough to be able to hate our own country and unlike Canada we don't have to try and say and do things in order to please a largely hostile white propulation in order to prove anything to them. My feeling then, judging from the rather sensitive nature of some Canadians here, is that Canadian Sikhs are not very comfortable with themselves. They don't take kindly to truths being pointed out.

Seeing how it only mildly snows here once every 5 years and temperatures never reach the freezing lows of Canada this is surely a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Anyway, I'm getting the impression that whilst white Canadians are very much realists the Sikh Canadians are a very touchy lot, easily offended when truths are told.

If anything, this thread should highlight how truth is far more important to Sikhs than fairy tales and misconceptions. Surely that is the essence of being a Sikh ?

For example, what you said above about the UK weather. I'd like to know would you say the same thing about Paris ?

The truth is that the Paris weather is on average 1 degree lower than London in winter and 1 degree higher than London in summer. Paris also has a higher average yearly rainfall than London. So thats it....a tiny 1 degree difference and a higher rainfall. But you're not dealing in truths my friend....you're dealing in misconceptions. You've conditioned your mind into believing that the weather in Paris is beautifull and the weather in London is awful. Until you educate yourself about realities yo're not going to be able to free your mind. Until you open your mind it will forever remain closed.

Now here's a question for you, when have you ever seen a British Sikh on holiday in Punjab displaying the British flag either on his person or in his car or house ?

When have you ever seen the British flag on display during UK nagar kirtans ? I've been to Canadian nagar kirtans and have always seen the Canadian flag being given prominence over the nishan sahib. In Canada, the maple leaf comes first and the nishan sahib comes second. The UK sangat would never allow the British flag to be displayed during a nagar kirtan. In the UK, during nagar kirtans, there is an official ceremony in cities where the city Mayor lowers the British flag from the city hall for the day and raises the Khanda to signify the Khanda's superiority for Sikhs. You ask a 3rd or 4th generation canadian Sikh what he is and the answer is always a proud Canadian. You ask a 3rd or 4th generation British Sikh and the answer will always be in this order: Sikh....Punjabi....Indian....English....European etc etc. British imeans nothing. Most of us hate our country.....we couldn't care less if it died tomorrow and we openly spit on the British flag. There are hundreds of thousands of British Sikhs living and working in Spain, Portugal, Canada, America...all over the world. We are far more open to the world. We are not weighed down by nationalism and patriotism. We are free enough to be able to hate our own country and unlike Canada we don't have to try and say and do things in order to please a largely hostile white propulation in order to prove anything to them. My feeling then, judging from the rather sensitive nature of some Canadians here, is that Canadian Sikhs are not very comfortable with themselves. They don't take kindly to truths being pointed out.

Laughable. This post is embarrasing, this is YOUR truth, aka your opinion, false on many aspects but I'm not going to get into a discussion with someone I'm assuming is a 14 year old; if you're not, you certainly come off as one.

Laughable. This post is embarrasing, this is YOUR truth, aka your opinion, false on many aspects but I'm not going to get into a discussion with someone I'm assuming is a 14 year old; if you're not, you certainly come off as one.

:stupidme: Good grief man. You're gonna have to improve your reasoning skills if you want to achieve anything in life. So 'false' in which sense then bruvs ?

I said 2 things : Firstly about the almost identical climate of Paris and London (with Paris actually worse in terms of winter and rainfall) and secondly about how in the UK , the only flag on display during nagar kirtans is the Nishan Sahib and how many cities in the UK have official ceremonies whereby the city Mayor lowers the British flag from city hall and raises the Khanda for the day to signify the Khanda's supremacy.

So....Here :

1) A link from the World Energy Organisation saying the same thing I've just said about the weather in London and Paris :

http://www.worldenergy.org/documents/annex_3_london_paris_1.pdf

2) Southampton City Council's own webpage in which they state the time and date they shall be lowering the British flag and raising the Nishan Sahib instead :

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/news-events/events/allevents/vaisakhi-festival.asp

Tell me.....are such poor educational and reasoning skills endemic in Canada or is it just peculiar to you ? and I ask that with the nicest of intentions, for your own benefit. You see you're here under 2 identities and both are supposed to highlight your supreme calmness and fighting skills. First as a Sikh and second as a person with a fighting moniker such as 'heatsikhingmissile'. You do neither any justice by behaving like a sensitive little girl. Be strong brother. Don't be so sensitive and fragile. You won't be able to take physical knocks to yourself if you break easily whenever someone says something negative about your country. You need to be confident with your own being. Look at us....we openly defacate on our country's flag......we make complaints to the police and authorities if anyone dares to expose our children to that flag and get the flag removed......we openly say how crap and smelly our own country is.......we openly ridicule ourselves. Take a leaf out of our book my friend. Free yourself from this rather effeminate fragility. Nobody's attacking you when they articulate some uncomfortable truths about Canada. You're not Canada's head of state being personally abused. In fact, nobody in Canada is Canada's head of state. Canada's head of state lives thousands of miles away here in my city. :biggrin2:

:stupidme: Good grief man. You're gonna have to improve your reasoning skills if you want to achieve anything in life. So 'false' in which sense then bruvs ?

I said 2 things : Firstly about the almost identical climate of Paris and London (with Paris actually worse in terms of winter and rainfall) and secondly about how in the UK , the only flag on display during nagar kirtans is the Nishan Sahib and how many cities in the UK have official ceremonies whereby the city Mayor lowers the British flag from city hall and raises the Khanda for the day to signify the Khanda's supremacy.

So....Here :

1) A link from the World Energy Organisation saying the same thing I've just said about the weather in London and Paris :

http://www.worldenergy.org/documents/annex_3_london_paris_1.pdf

2) Southampton City Council's own webpage in which they state the time and date they shall be lowering the British flag and raising the Nishan Sahib instead :

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/news-events/events/allevents/vaisakhi-festival.asp

Tell me.....are such poor educational and reasoning skills endemic in Canada or is it just peculiar to you ? and I ask that with the nicest of intentions, for your own benefit. You see you're here under 2 identities and both are supposed to highlight your supreme calmness and fighting skills. First as a Sikh and second as a person with a fighting moniker such as 'heatsikhingmissile'. You do neither any justice by behaving like a sensitive little girl. Be strong brother. Don't be so sensitive and fragile. You won't be able to take physical knocks to yourself if you break easily whenever someone says something negative about your country. You need to be confident with your own being. Look at us....we openly defacate on our country's flag......we make complaints to the police and authorities if anyone dares to expose our children to that flag and get the flag removed......we openly say how crap and smelly our own country is.......we openly ridicule ourselves. Take a leaf out of our book my friend. Free yourself from this rather effeminate fragility. Nobody's attacking you when they articulate some uncomfortable truths about Canada. You're not Canada's head of state being personally abused. In fact, nobody in Canada is Canada's head of state. Canada's head of state lives thousands of miles away here in my city. :biggrin2:

Look, I don't know why your inferiority complex has you defending a country you live in (and hate at the same time), against a country I'm proud to live in which includes a Charter of Rights and Freedoms that fall very much in line with Sikhi values; which is probably why Sikhs are proud of BOTH their Sikhi and proud Canada's values are in line with theirs. Now, as for TRUTHS, let's look at the FACTS "bruvs", Quality of Life Index. Canada ranks fifth, your plot of land across the pond? Nineteenth, those are the facts. You also might want to research which country has a higher rate of immigration from the other country (I'll give you a hint, it's not Canadians flooding the UK).

http://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/rankings_by_country.jsp

But don't be discouraged, one step at a time "bruvs", maybe one day we can have this discussion, but in the meantime you might want to aim lower and say compare country standards with someone from, I don't know, howabout, Estonia :-)

let's look at the FACTS "bruvs",

Sorrry, my bad. I took it for granted you'd be a male. I meant no disrespect.

Now, I really don't know what is the matter with you sis. I've stated since the beginning how England is crap and Canada is probably the nicest country in the world to live if your'e bringing up a family or retired. So what exactly do you feel personally offended by sis ? Are you angry with the Global Cities Index for declaring Toronto a 3rd tier city in the same level as Mumbhai and Jakarta ? Are you angry with the BBC, ABC, CBC, NBC and Fox for only mentioning your country once every 7 years ? Are you angry with the Washinton Post, New York Times, The Times of London , Figaro and the Bild-Zeitung for never ever mentioning your country ? Are you angry with the world's population for forgetting you exist ? Are you angry that even Canada's Head of State chooses to live somehwere else ? You seem to be consumed with anger and sensitivity sis.

Now....to your last point :

You also might want to research which country has a higher rate of immigration from the other country (I'll give you a hint, it's not Canadians flooding the UK).

You may also want to give yourself that lecture about research. In the last decade just over 2.5 million immigrants have come to live permanently in the UK. In the same period Canada accepts exactly 280,000 per year. That makes 2.8 million in the same period. The population density in the UK is 666 people per sq mile, i.e already filled to the brim and ready to explode with no space to swing a cat. The population density in Canada is 8 people per sq mile. In other words, considering how much space there is for newcomers, Canada would have to have admitted 166 million immigrants just to experience the same intensity and pressure on natural and social resources.

Not included in the UK Home Office's figure of 2.5 million official immigrants in the last decade, are the up to a million illegal immigrants that live in London alone (The Govt estimate the figure of somewhere between 500000 and a million whilst the London Mayor's office say even a million is a conservative estimate. Also not included in the official figure of 2.5 million registered immigrants is the estimated couple of million EU citizens here exercising their free movement rights to live and work in the UK without papers or registration.

I'm proud to live in which includes a Charter of Rights and Freedoms that fall very much in line with Sikhi values; which is probably why Sikhs are proud of BOTH their Sikhi and proud Canada's values are in line with theirs.

And what makes you think such rights do not exist here ? Bearing in mind sis the fact that it has only been since the early 1960's that Canada has been allowed to enact it's own laws without permission from London you'd be extremely foolish if you thought many of those rights you take for granted did not originate from London. We too have freedoms. We even have the freedom to hate our country and thats a freedom we exercise with passion. I am a Sikh. I have only one nation and that is the Sikh brotherhood. I have only one flag and that flag is the Nishan Sahib.

We even have the freedom to hate our country and thats a freedom we exercise with passion. I am a Sikh.

ROFL!!!!! This quote is gold and basically summarizes your level of "thinking", quotes because I'm not sure if you're bright enough to see more of your own hypocricy. You'd have probably been better off going to the Muslim team; you've proven so far to not have a clue in regards to Sikhi; all you've proven to be is a laugh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

That list is your come-back? Have I ever compared Toronto's history to that of London's?!? Weak, so weak. Go get an education, you'll need it.

^ Is there something wrong with you ? :omg: Seriously sister. I'm genuinely concerned.

ROFL!!!!! This quote is gold and basically summarizes your level of "thinking", quotes because I'm not sure if you're bright enough to see more of your own hypocricy. You'd have probably been better off going to the Muslim team; you've proven so far to not have a clue in regards to Sikhi; all you've proven to be is a laugh.

'Patriotism' in countries that have seen war is often a dity word. Indeed as far back as 1775 Samuel Johnson said patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. Being 'unpatriotic' is my god-given right. Once a nation reaches a certain level of maturity it isn't concerned with freedom of thought. It has to have enough to draw upon to be able to tolerate dissent. France is another good example of this. In many surveys it is French men and women that most hate their own country with passion. Mature and older countries seem to be able to deal with this freedom of expression much better than younger nations.

Lets just look at your own head of state for example. The irony here is that she will probably be ousted as head of state in the UK, Australia and New Zealand before Canada gets rid of her. We, the Australians and the Kiwis openly call her a German <banned word filter activated> that needs to beheaded but Canada is the one place she finds widespread support and approval. So please, take the german and let us be done with her.

Now, I fully understand how it is near enough impossible for you to understands these freedoms as a citizen of a young nation. These types of freedoms only come about after centuries of bloodshed, war and civil disturbances in the name of patriotism. As such what is 'acceptable' in the old world is not seen as acceptable in the new world, and vice versa. For example flag waving. With the exception of football, which is more akin to war between nations, national flag waving is the preserve of the far right. In complete contrast, in the new world, those that do not flag wave are seen as unpatriotic. The thought mechanism between the two then is extreme, amd so I don't for one moment criticise you for not understanding. What I will criticise you for however is the way that you cannot even begin to understand historical context and thought mechanisms and so reason with someone on an intellectual level. Lets just hope there's never an international treaty banning the use of 'rofl' and 'lol' as that seems to be the mainstay of your range of vocabulary. In that regards you come across as extremely childish. I mean lets be honest here, you have so little understanding of bills of rights that you were using your 1960 Bill of Rights as a weapon against a national of the Magna Carta of 1215 !!! :biggrin2:

Anyway, to end with, can you please tell me why you've provided a link to some wikipedia page about the term 'global citiy' ? What were you trying to prove with that ? :blink2:

One thing people here need to understand that Sikhs have a long history in Canada. Sikhs have contribute a lot to Canada over 100 years now which makes it easier for Sikhs to take pride of being Canadian compare to other South Asians in Canada. Of course, this doesn't mean we're ignoring our Sikh identity, but we're also Canadian as well. Being Canadian is our identity too.

LegalSingh: It's great you're Londoner and you're Sikh first than anything else (like we all here), but it doesn't mean we can't take pride countries we live in where we can practice our religion freely not worry about being killed like in India.

Yes, Canada isn't biggest player in the world, but it doesn't mean they're lightweight either. Like I said in my previous post, Canada is G8 nation with a lot of resources that other countries would kill to have in their countries. There's a reason why EU wants to come up with free trade agreement with Canada instead of Australia while China is trying to buy up all our resources in this country.

I personally understand why Sikhs in UK don't take pride being British/English given what they did to our people and how they stole our land to give to Hindus and Muslims in the end. So I completely understand why Sikhs shouldn't take pride of being British/English.