Blue Is The Sikh Colour; Not Saffron

Nalwa

सलोकु मः ३ ॥

Salok mėhlā 3.

Shalok, Third Mehl:

सूहवीए सूहा वेसु छडि तू ता पिर लगी पिआरु ॥

Sūhvī▫e sūhā ves cẖẖad ṯū ṯā pir lagī pi▫ār.

O red-robed woman, discard your red dress, and then, you shall come to love your Husband Lord.

सूहै वेसि पिरु किनै न पाइओ मनमुखि दझि मुई गावारि ॥

Sūhai ves pir kinai na pā▫i▫o manmukẖ ḏajẖ mu▫ī gāvār.

By wearing her red dress, no one has found her Husband Lord; the self-willed manmukh is burnt to death.

सतिगुरि मिलिऐ सूहा वेसु गइआ हउमै विचहु मारि ॥

Saṯgur mili▫ai sūhā ves ga▫i▫ā ha▫umai vicẖahu mār.

Meeting the True Guru, she discards her red dress, and eradicates egotism from within.

मनु तनु रता लालु होआ रसना रती गुण सारि ॥

Man ṯan raṯā lāl ho▫ā rasnā raṯī guṇ sār.

Her mind and body are imbued with the deep red color of His Love, and her tongue is imbued, singing His Praises and excellences.

सदा सोहागणि सबदु मनि भै भाइ करे सीगारु ॥

Saḏā sohagaṇ sabaḏ man bẖai bẖā▫e kare sīgār.

She becomes His soul-bride forever, with the Word of the Shabad in her mind; she makes the Fear of God and the Love of God her ornaments and decorations.

नानक करमी महलु पाइआ पिरु राखिआ उर धारि ॥१॥

Nānak karmī mahal pā▫i▫ā pir rākẖi▫ā ur ḏẖār. ||1||

O Nanak, by His Merciful Grace, she obtains the Mansion of the Lord's Presence, and keeps Him enshrined in her heart. ||1||

मः ३ ॥

Mėhlā 3.

Third Mehl:

मुंधे सूहा परहरहु लालु करहु सीगारु ॥

Munḏẖe sūhā parahrahu lāl karahu sīgār.

O bride, forsake your red dress, and decorate yourself with the crimson color of His Love.

आवण जाणा वीसरै गुर सबदी वीचारु ॥

Āvaṇ jāṇā vīsrai gur sabḏī vīcẖār.

Your comings and goings shall be forgotten, contemplating the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

मुंध सुहावी सोहणी जिसु घरि सहजि भतारु ॥

Munḏẖ suhāvī sohṇī jis gẖar sahj bẖaṯār.

The soul-bride is adorned and beautiful; the Celestial Lord, her Husband, abides in her home.

नानक सा धन रावीऐ रावे रावणहारु ॥२॥

Nānak sā ḏẖan rāvī▫ai rāve ravaṇhār. ||2||

O Nanak, the bride ravishes and enjoys Him; and He, the Ravisher, ravishes and enjoys her. ||2||

पउड़ी ॥

Pa▫oṛī.

Pauree:

मोहु कूड़ु कुट्मबु है मनमुखु मुगधु रता ॥

Moh kūṛ kutamb hai manmukẖ mugaḏẖ raṯā.

The foolish, self-willed manmukh is engrossed in false attachment to family.

हउमै मेरा करि मुए किछु साथि न लिता ॥

Ha▫umai merā kar mu▫e kicẖẖ sāth na liṯā.

Practicing egotism and self-conceit, he dies and departs, taking nothing along with him.

सिर उपरि जमकालु न सुझई दूजै भरमिता ॥

Sir upar jamkāl na sujẖ▫ī ḏūjai bẖarmiṯā.

He does not understand that the Messenger of Death is hovering over his head; he is deluded by duality.

फिरि वेला हथि न आवई जमकालि वसि किता ॥

Fir velā hath na āvī jamkāl vas kiṯā.

This opportunity will not come into his hands again; the Messenger of Death will seize him.

जेहा धुरि लिखि पाइओनु से करम कमिता ॥५॥

Jehā ḏẖur likẖ pā▫i▫on se karam kamiṯā. ||5||

He acts according to his pre-ordained destiny. ||5||

ਤੁਮ ਫਤੇ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਕੀ, ਹਮ ਫਤੇ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਕਹੈ||
ਤੁਮ ਬਿਸਨੋਈ, ਹਮ ਚਾਰ ਬਰਨ ਰਹੈ||
ਤੁਮ ਸੂਹੋ ਪਹਰੋ, ਹਮ ਲਾਵੈ ਨਾ ਅੰਗ||
ਹਮ ਪਹਰੇ ਸੁਰਮਈ, ਤੁਮ ਪਹਰੋ ਸੰਗ||
(ਪ੍ਰਾਚੀਨ ਪੰਥ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸ਼)

You read one tuk but what about all the other tuks?I can bring couple of other ones as well.Shall I?

But do you get my point, if we take the meaning literally so the red colour (red colur to be blamed or praised) then it makes Gurbani contradictory. The lines you posted and I posted were metaphors. If taken in a literal sense then it makes the colour red good in one line and the other line bad, which is not the case.

You read one tuk but what about all the other tuks?I can bring couple of other ones as well.Shall I?

सूहवीए सूहा वेसु छडि तू ता पिर लगी पिआरु ॥
Sūhvī▫e sūhā ves cẖẖad ṯū ṯā pir lagī pi▫ār.
O red-robed woman, discard your red dress, and then, you shall come to love your Husband Lord.
ਸੂਹੈ ਵੇਸਿ ਪਿਰੁ ਕਿਨੈ ਪਾਇਓ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਦਝਿ ਮੁਈ ਗਾਵਾਰਿ
सूहै वेसि पिरु किनै न पाइओ मनमुखि दझि मुई गावारि ॥
Sūhai ves pir kinai na pā▫i▫o manmukẖ ḏajẖ mu▫ī gāvār.
By wearing her red dress, no one has found her Husband Lord; the self-willed manmukh is burnt to death.
ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਮਿਲਿਐ ਸੂਹਾ ਵੇਸੁ ਗਇਆ ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਮਾਰਿ
सतिगुरि मिलिऐ सूहा वेसु गइआ हउमै विचहु मारि ॥
Saṯgur mili▫ai sūhā ves ga▫i▫ā ha▫umai vicẖahu mār.
Meeting the True Guru, she discards her red dress, and eradicates egotism from within.

This does not make a red a bad colour. Here I believe it is talking about TRUE marriage. Getting married in hinduism and sometimes sikhism involves wearing a red dress. But the marriage is temporary and not true as it doesn't make you married to God as back then when getting married people (especially hindus) used to call their husbands GOD/pARMESHAR and getting married with them would grant you mukhti but this is superstitious. Getting married to God is about losing the egotism therefore TRUE marriage. A red dress can not be blamed.

But do you get my point, if we take the meaning literally so the red colour (red colur to be blamed or praised) then it makes Gurbani contradictory. The lines you posted and I posted were metaphors. If taken in a literal sense then it makes the colour red good in one line and the other line bad, which is not the case.

First you guys want proof.I gave you proof with rehitnamas.You don't Belive it saying it could be tampered with.You guys want gurbani and I give you gurbani and now you guys are saying that we can't take gurbani literally.Jasdeepsingh5k gives a tuk from a prestigious Granth in Sikhi which says not to wear read but you guys still don't wana Belive.Whats wrong you accepting red as a color that's not supposed to be worn?Are you wearing a red dastaar right now?

First you guys want proof.I gave you proof with rehitnamas.You don't Belive it saying it could be tampered with.You guys want gurbani and I give you gurbani and now you guys are saying that we can't take gurbani literally.Jasdeepsingh5k gives a tuk from a prestigious Granth in Sikhi which says not to wear read but you guys still don't wana Belive.Whats wrong you accepting red as a color that's not supposed to be worn?Are you wearing a red dastaar right now?

But I just told you that you are misinterpreting the tuks. By the way it is clear that Gurbani in some cases should not be taken literally but as metaphors and examples in some cases.

iKMQw kwlu kuAwrI kwieAw jugiq fMfw prqIiq ]

khi(n)thhaa kaal kuaaree kaaeiaa jugath dda(n)ddaaparatheeth ||

Let the remembrance of death be the patched coat you wear, let the purity of virginity be your way in the world, and let faith in the Lord be your walking stick.

If I take the above line as literal meaning then I should be wearing a patched coat and somehow being a virgin makes you pure compared to someone who is married with kids. And I should be carrying a walking stick.

Like I said be careful in how you interpret gurbani you got to use your logic.

But I just told you that you are misinterpreting the tuks. By the way it is clear that Gurbani in some cases should not be taken literally but as metaphors and examples in some cases.

iKMQw kwlu kuAwrI kwieAw jugiq fMfw prqIiq ]

khi(n)thhaa kaal kuaaree kaaeiaa jugath dda(n)ddaaparatheeth ||

Let the remembrance of death be the patched coat you wear, let the purity of virginity be your way in the world, and let faith in the Lord be your walking stick.

If I take the above line as literal meaning then I should be wearing a patched coat and somehow being a virgin makes you pure compared to someone who is married with kids. And I should be carrying a walking stick.

Like I said be careful in how you interpret gurbani you got to use your logic.

I 100% Belive the tuk you gave me.If my gurus who are the lords of this universe sau something I will Belive it no matter what.

It's called sharda.

I 100% Belive the tuk you gave me.If my gurus who are the lords of this universe sau something I will Belive it no matter what.

It's called sharda.

You take that as literal meaning? So you walk with a walking stick, will remain virgin all your life and wear a patched coat? Clearly you do not!