Blue Is The Sikh Colour; Not Saffron

Nalwa

Now i know why you cant let go of the color red because your putting your man in front again.How can you say your are beliveing the guru when you just broke everything and think you are doing the right thing.

hSingh Jee, No, you probably will not go to hell for wearing red or green shirt. I believe we need to see this from the historical sociological and psychological perspective to get the right picture. Guru Jee made us distinguishable from the Hindus and Muslims. Our scriptures, greetings, values, dress and yes even colour is distinct(Nyara) from them. We are the teesar Panth. That is why always Sikh warriors for the last 300 years have been wearing blue. During the Akali movement when Sikhs were reinvigorated with the spirit of sacrificing themselves for Sikhi, they began wearing blue. Nihangs have maintained many old traditions of the Khalsa to this day, wearing blue is one of them. Our old rehitnamas instruct Sikhs to do many things that will prevent us from assimilating with the Hindus and Muslims and wearing blue is one of them. This is part of the uniform of a Khalsa warrior since the start.

A possible and valid reason but rehatnamas stating that wearing red will get you punished by the messenger of death is still incorrect. I don't think our guru would be so obsessed over what colour we wear and especially now.

Now i know why you cant let go of the color red because your putting your man in front again.How can you say your are beliveing the guru when you just broke everything and think you are doing the right thing.

What do you mean?

What i mean is you are putting your mind in front.You yourself want to wear red.It does not matter to you if you wear red because you already broke everything so breaking another rehat doesnt hurt you.You ask for proof and i give it to you through rehitnamas,through gurbani where it says discard your red clothes etc but you say dont take gurbani literally.Jasdeep singh showed us prestigous granth panth prkash where it states not to wear red but you still dont belive it because you yourself wants to wear red.Becuase your mind still wants to wear red.Right now you are saying the rehitnamas cant be gurus words because they are panditish etc but what does it matter to you you think we shouldnt take gurus word literally.

सलोकु मः ३ ॥

Salok mėhlā 3.

Shalok, Third Mehl:

सूहै वेसि कामणि कुलखणी जो प्रभ छोडि पर पुरख धरे पिआरु ॥

Sūhai ves kāmaṇ kulkẖaṇī jo parabẖ cẖẖod par purakẖ ḏẖare pi▫ār.

The red-robed bride is vicious; she forsakes God, and cultivates love for another man.

ओसु सीलु न संजमु सदा झूठु बोलै मनमुखि करम खुआरु ॥

Os sīl na sanjam saḏā jẖūṯẖ bolai manmukẖ karam kẖu▫ār.

She has neither modesty or self-discipline; the self-willed manmukh constantly tells lies, and is ruined by the bad karma of evil deeds.

जिसु पूरबि होवै लिखिआ तिसु सतिगुरु मिलै भतारु ॥

Jis pūrab hovai likẖi▫ā ṯis saṯgur milai bẖaṯār.

She who has such pre-ordained destiny, obtains the True Guru has her Husband.

सूहा वेसु सभु उतारि धरे गलि पहिरै खिमा सीगारु ॥

Sūhā ves sabẖ uṯār ḏẖare gal pahirai kẖimā sīgār.

She discards all her red dresses, and wears the ornaments of mercy and forgiveness around her neck.

पेईऐ साहुरै बहु सोभा पाए तिसु पूज करे सभु सैसारु ॥

Pe▫ī▫ai sāhurai baho sobẖā pā▫e ṯis pūj kare sabẖ saisār.

In this world and the next, she receives great honor, and the whole world worships her.

ओह रलाई किसै दी ना रलै जिसु रावे सिरजनहारु ॥

Oh ralā▫ī kisai ḏī nā ralai jis rāve sirjanhār.

She who is enjoyed by her Creator Lord stands out, and does not blend in with the crowd.

नानक गुरमुखि सदा सुहागणी जिसु अविनासी पुरखु भरतारु ॥१॥

Nānak gurmukẖ saḏā suhāgaṇī jis avināsī purakẖ bẖarṯār. ||1||

O Nanak, the Gurmukh is the happy soul-bride forever; she has the Imperishable Lord God as her Husband. ||1||

मः १ ॥

Mėhlā 1.

First Mehl:

सूहा रंगु सुपनै निसी बिनु तागे गलि हारु ॥

Sūhā rang supnai nisī bin ṯāge gal hār.

The red color is like a dream in the night; it is like a necklace without a string.

सचा रंगु मजीठ का गुरमुखि ब्रहम बीचारु ॥

Sacẖā rang majīṯẖ kā gurmukẖ barahm bīcẖār.

The Gurmukhs take on the permanent color, contemplating the Lord God.

नानक प्रेम महा रसी सभि बुरिआईआ छारु ॥२॥

Nānak parem mahā rasī sabẖ buri▫ā▫ī▫ā cẖẖār. ||2||

O Nanak, with the supreme sublime essence of the Lord's Love, all sins and evil deeds are turned to ashes. ||2||

पउड़ी ॥

Pa▫oṛī.

Pauree:

इहु जगु आपि उपाइओनु करि चोज विडानु ॥

Ih jag āp upā▫i▫on kar cẖoj vidān.

He Himself created this world, and staged this wondrous play.

पंच धातु विचि पाईअनु मोहु झूठु गुमानु ॥

Pancẖ ḏẖāṯ vicẖ pā▫ī▫an moh jẖūṯẖ gumān.

Into the body of the five elements, He infused attachment, falsehood and self-conceit.

आवै जाइ भवाईऐ मनमुखु अगिआनु ॥

Āvai jā▫e bẖavā▫ī▫ai manmukẖ agi▫ān.

The ignorant, self-willed manmukh comes and goes, wandering in reincarnation.

इकना आपि बुझाइओनु गुरमुखि हरि गिआनु ॥

Iknā āp bujẖā▫i▫on gurmukẖ har gi▫ān.

He Himself teaches some to become Gurmukh, through the spiritual wisdom of the Lord.

भगति खजाना बखसिओनु हरि नामु निधानु ॥४॥

Bẖagaṯ kẖajānā bakẖsi▫on har nām niḏẖān. ||4||

He blesses them with the treasure of devotional worship, and the wealth of the Lord's Name. ||4||

सलोकु मः ३ ॥
Salok mėhlā 3.
Shalok, Third Mehl:
सूहै वेसि कामणि कुलखणी जो प्रभ छोडि पर पुरख धरे पिआरु ॥
Sūhai ves kāmaṇ kulkẖaṇī jo parabẖ cẖẖod par purakẖ ḏẖare pi▫ār.
The red-robed bride is vicious; she forsakes God, and cultivates love for another man.
ओसु सीलु न संजमु सदा झूठु बोलै मनमुखि करम खुआरु ॥
Os sīl na sanjam saḏā jẖūṯẖ bolai manmukẖ karam kẖu▫ār.
She has neither modesty or self-discipline; the self-willed manmukh constantly tells lies, and is ruined by the bad karma of evil deeds.
जिसु पूरबि होवै लिखिआ तिसु सतिगुरु मिलै भतारु ॥
Jis pūrab hovai likẖi▫ā ṯis saṯgur milai bẖaṯār.
She who has such pre-ordained destiny, obtains the True Guru has her Husband.
सूहा वेसु सभु उतारि धरे गलि पहिरै खिमा सीगारु ॥
Sūhā ves sabẖ uṯār ḏẖare gal pahirai kẖimā sīgār.
She discards all her red dresses, and wears the ornaments of mercy and forgiveness around her neck.
पेईऐ साहुरै बहु सोभा पाए तिसु पूज करे सभु सैसारु ॥
Pe▫ī▫ai sāhurai baho sobẖā pā▫e ṯis pūj kare sabẖ saisār.
In this world and the next, she receives great honor, and the whole world worships her.
ओह रलाई किसै दी ना रलै जिसु रावे सिरजनहारु ॥
Oh ralā▫ī kisai ḏī nā ralai jis rāve sirjanhār.
She who is enjoyed by her Creator Lord stands out, and does not blend in with the crowd.
नानक गुरमुखि सदा सुहागणी जिसु अविनासी पुरखु भरतारु ॥१॥
Nānak gurmukẖ saḏā suhāgaṇī jis avināsī purakẖ bẖarṯār. ||1||
O Nanak, the Gurmukh is the happy soul-bride forever; she has the Imperishable Lord God as her Husband. ||1||
मः १ ॥
Mėhlā 1.
First Mehl:
सूहा रंगु सुपनै निसी बिनु तागे गलि हारु ॥
Sūhā rang supnai nisī bin ṯāge gal hār.
The red color is like a dream in the night; it is like a necklace without a string.
सचा रंगु मजीठ का गुरमुखि ब्रहम बीचारु ॥
Sacẖā rang majīṯẖ kā gurmukẖ barahm bīcẖār.
The Gurmukhs take on the permanent color, contemplating the Lord God.
नानक प्रेम महा रसी सभि बुरिआईआ छारु ॥२॥
Nānak parem mahā rasī sabẖ buri▫ā▫ī▫ā cẖẖār. ||2||
O Nanak, with the supreme sublime essence of the Lord's Love, all sins and evil deeds are turned to ashes. ||2||
पउड़ी ॥
Pa▫oṛī.
Pauree:
इहु जगु आपि उपाइओनु करि चोज विडानु ॥
Ih jag āp upā▫i▫on kar cẖoj vidān.
He Himself created this world, and staged this wondrous play.
पंच धातु विचि पाईअनु मोहु झूठु गुमानु ॥
Pancẖ ḏẖāṯ vicẖ pā▫ī▫an moh jẖūṯẖ gumān.
Into the body of the five elements, He infused attachment, falsehood and self-conceit.
आवै जाइ भवाईऐ मनमुखु अगिआनु ॥
Āvai jā▫e bẖavā▫ī▫ai manmukẖ agi▫ān.
The ignorant, self-willed manmukh comes and goes, wandering in reincarnation.
इकना आपि बुझाइओनु गुरमुखि हरि गिआनु ॥
Iknā āp bujẖā▫i▫on gurmukẖ har gi▫ān.
He Himself teaches some to become Gurmukh, through the spiritual wisdom of the Lord.
भगति खजाना बखसिओनु हरि नामु निधानु ॥४॥
Bẖagaṯ kẖajānā bakẖsi▫on har nām niḏẖān. ||4||
He blesses them with the treasure of devotional worship, and the wealth of the Lord's Name. ||4||

This does not make a red a bad colour. Here I believe it is talking about TRUE marriage. Getting married in hinduism and sometimes sikhism involves wearing a red dress. But the marriage is temporary and not true as it doesn't make you married to God as back then when getting married people (especially hindus) used to call their husbands GOD/pARMESHAR and getting married with them would grant you mukhti but this is superstitious. Getting married to God is about losing the egotism therefore TRUE marriage. A red dress can not be blamed.

Please tell me why rehitnamas are then contradictory?

सूहा रंगु विकारु है कंतु न पाइआ जाइ ॥
Sūhā rang vikār hai kanṯ na pā▫i▫ā jā▫e.
The red color is vain and useless; it cannot help you obtain your Husband Lord.
इसु लहदे बिलम न होवई रंड बैठी दूजै भाइ ॥
Is lahḏe bilam na hova▫ī rand baiṯẖī ḏūjai bẖā▫e.
This color does not take long to fade; she who loves duality, ends up a widow.
मुंध इआणी दुमणी सूहै वेसि लोभाइ ॥
Munḏẖ i▫āṇī ḏummṇī sūhai ves lobẖā▫e.
She who loves to wear her red dress is foolish and double-minded.
सबदि सचै रंगु लालु करि भै भाइ सीगारु बणाइ ॥
Sabaḏ sacẖai rang lāl kar bẖai bẖā▫e sīgār baṇā▫e.
So make the True Word of the Shabad your red dress, and let the Fear of God, and the Love of God, be your ornaments and decorations.

Please tell me why rehitnamas are then contradictory?

If gurbani has a problem with the colour red it makes it contradictory and superstitious the red is used as metaphors like in 1 tuk its a metaphor when the day turn twilight and in another it talks about hindu marriage doesn't mean reaching god.

Rehatnamas could be tampered with or the people writing them misunderstood what guru ji meant.

So make the True Word of the Shabad your red dress, and let the Fear of God, and the Love of God, be your ornaments and decorations.

^^^^Exactly guru ji doesnt hate the colour red!!! he is talking about wordly marriage associated with a red dress. he doesn't hate the colour red.

If gurbani has a problem with the colour red it makes it contradictory and superstitious the red is used as metaphors like in 1 tuk its a metaphor when the day turn twilight and in another it talks about hindu marriage doesn't mean reaching god.

Rehatnamas could be tampered with or the people writing them misunderstood what guru ji meant.

^^^^Exactly guru ji doesnt hate the colour red!!! he is talking about wordly marriage associated with a red dress. he doesn't hate the colour red.

ਸੂਹਾ ਰੰਗੁ ਵਿਕਾਰੁ ਹੈ ਕੰਤੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ

Its useless guru ji says.

if you think its tampered with you just got a missionary mindset.Believe what you believe.I believe what gurbani is saying,the rehitnamas,other prestigious granths etc.You just believe your mind.

ਸੂਹਾ ਰੰਗੁ ਵਿਕਾਰੁ ਹੈ ਕੰਤੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ

Its useless guru ji says.

if you think its tampered with you just got a missionary mindset.Believe what you believe.I believe what gurbani is saying,the rehitnamas,other prestigious granths etc.You just believe your mind.

ਇਸੁ ਲਹਦੇ ਬਿਲਮ ਹੋਵਈ ਰੰਡ ਬੈਠੀ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ
इसु लहदे बिलम न होवई रंड बैठी दूजै भाइ ॥
Is lahḏe bilam na hova▫ī rand baiṯẖī ḏūjai bẖā▫e.
This color does not take long to fade; she who loves duality, ends up a widow.
ਮੁੰਧ ਇਆਣੀ ਦੁੰਮਣੀ ਸੂਹੈ ਵੇਸਿ ਲਭਾਇ
मुंध इआणी दुमणी सूहै वेसि लोभाइ ॥
Munḏẖ i▫āṇī ḏummṇī sūhai ves lobẖā▫e.
She who loves to wear her red dress is foolish and double-minded.
ਸਬਦਿ ਸਚੈ ਰੰਗੁ ਲਾਲੁ ਕਰਿ ਭੈ ਭਾਇ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ਬਣਾਇ

Thats the full shabad above its talking about a women who prides her red dress when she got married to her huband meaning the union with God (as thought in the hindu religion). But just have a red coloured dress is not going to give you union with God. It says the colour will fade in the next tuk and she becomes a widow meaning when her husband dies where has her union with god gone now? Showing that this is false marriage and is lost in ego,

Please try to understand the meaning of the shabads.

If gurbani hates the colour read (which it doesn't) as you suggest then it makes gurbani contradictory, which we know isn't the case.

गुरमुखि लालो लालु है जिउ रंगि मजीठ सचड़ाउ ॥
Gurmukẖ lālo lāl hai ji▫o rang majīṯẖ sacẖṛā▫o.
The Gurmukh is the deepest crimson of crimson, dyed in the permanent color of the Lord's Love.

crimson is a deep red colour.

In the above and below tuk gurbani loves the colour red? :biggrin2:

Why the contradiction according to you?