Sign in to follow this  
messor

Dumalla Or African Style Dastar

you basically start it off like a dhamalla, but go kenyan. you can tie your hair inside and all. but you keep the kenyan style. suppose you can say its your family heritage.. guru gobind singh ji came to africa and done seva of maharaj in the jungle, and then african sikhs were ccreated. so.. yh. they created that so called kenyan style, and you can say that it was ment to be too because guru G started that 'line' so to speak.

i tie both dhamalla and half kenyan.

when i was tying a kenyan, i didnt like the jooth thing. so, that means, putting the back larr in your mouth. so now i tie a half kenyan. its basically a dhamalla.. but looks kenyan. o and wear a keski underneath to tie your hair in.

• Like 1

I had the same problem. I just kept tying one until eventually they gave up trying to persuade me. Don't argue but give your reasons to why you like dhumalla's more and why other styles don't suit you.

WJKK WJKF

• Like 1

Another thing, I want to wear a orange keski and a navy dumalla but they say I should wear black, but that is not what the panj pyare wore. What should I say?

• Like 1

i say you can wear any color, but i think the rehetnama from ... spgc.. says white, black, nihang blue and kesri (orange) are the 4 colors u can wear. just wear blue if ur in dilemma. also, we are not supposed to copy the punj piyaare, they are guru (wherever there is 5 singhs etc ). id tell you to wear white if you going gurdwara or summin, but really its up to you. yea, black looks so called slick with suit and tie and looks presentable, but, its really up to you. i wore blue because i dont like black. but now, i wear black again. but wear a white keski. orange (kesri) keski is ok too.

people wear brown etc.. green and all colours.. checked and all sorts. but those main 4 are so called, khalsa colors.

anyway dude, you should listen to your parents anyhow!

dont use these answers just to defy your parents.. its not exactly right.

It sounds like you wish to have your family on side. Start with advising them you would like to try dhumalla for a day or half a day sometime.

This may help them see their son/grandson as simply a radiant Sikh and help dispel hold ups they have.

No matter which dastar you wear, do so along with being in great physical, mental, and spiritual shape. First a Sikh should expect that of herself/himself. Secondly it will help your parents (and others) appreciate any dastar.

any shop that sells dastar material. most people that tie dhamalla get full voil (FV) material. others get mul mul. but many people find mal mal to be too soft. but i like mal mal.

once i get that material, i choose the length, then i cut (rip with poise without scissors :p) down the mmiddle to get two.

its up to you. id say seven if your going to cut it down the middle. notmally its 5, but thats a bit small if u cut it down the middle.

• Like 4

you basically start it off like a dhamalla, but go kenyan. you can tie your hair inside and all. but you keep the kenyan style. suppose you can say its your family heritage.. guru gobind singh ji came to africa and done seva of maharaj in the jungle, and then african sikhs were ccreated. so.. yh. they created that so called kenyan style, and you can say that it was ment to be too because guru G started that 'lie' so to speak.

i tie both dhamalla and half kenyan.

when i was tying a kenyan, i didnt like the jooth thing. so, that means, putting the back larr in your mouth. so now i tie a half kenyan. its basically a dhamalla.. but looks kenyan. o and wear a keski underneath to tie your hair in.

Very Interesting, Guru Gobind Singh was in Africa? When? Any evidence of this?

• Like 2

well.. evidence wise its in the dastaar i suppose. :p

but the way it happened is when they were making the railway line from mombasa to nairobi, they came to makindo. they could not pass through makindo because there was either 1. a powerful shakti of god there, or 2. the jungle was too thick. (i personally believe both). then, they had to go around the forrest, and they made it to nairobi.

sikhs were employed as workers, as were kale. the sikhs braught guru granth sahib along with them and after every 10 miles or so, they used to set up camp with guru granth sahib. when they got to mombasa, they had to spend a while there. in doing so, a small wooden room was made for guru granth sahib, and this was later made into a bigger gurdwara. when the sikhs and railway workers went from makindo, they left a few kale behind to take care of guru granth sahib, because their time in mombasa during the building of the railway line was long, so the kale learnt how to do satkaar or guru maharaj. the kale used to do seva of maharaj, make langar and do seva of anyone who came there to that small gurdwara. then, one day, the kala either missed his duty, or came for his duty to do seva of maharaj and when he came there, guru gobind singh ji was there doing seva, but the kala didnt know who they were. so, after guru ji presumably, finished the hukamnama, guru gobind singh ji said, this is rehet, and told the kala how to do seva of guru maharaj (presumably because the kala wasnt taught properly how to do guru maharaj seva). so anyway, the kala went to nairobi where the majority of the sikhs were, and told of his experiences. at that time, all sikhs knew each other. but the kala said, he did not recognise who guru gobind singh ji was, who the 'sevak' was who done seva of guru maharaj. but he saw a foto of guru gobind singh ji, and said thats the man who told me. he was adement it was guru ji. no one believed him but since then, the amritdhari kala singhs are there in africa, presumably growing in number. there used to be a hand drawn foto of guru gobind singh ji on the wall of the gurdwara constructed at makindo, but it was either painted over, or broken down.

guru ji came to kenya around 1960, when makindo gurgwara was being made. some say the kala saw guru gobind singh ji come down on a horse with their baaj etc. and others say that guru granth sahib was being neglected (because the kala was lazy; what new ey! :p ) amidist the woods, (this is what i believe), and guru ji had to come down and do seva as described in the above block text. horseshoe prints were seen after guru gobind singh ji went by the kala and there was no horse to be seen. (presumably this was during a short time frame).

the actual original wooden palki that was constructed was by a sikh and theres a foto online of this wooden palki i believe.

>>

but yes. the kala singhs first adopted this so aptly named kenyan dastar. and they, the kala singhs taught the other indians how to tie the kenyan dastar, opposed to the indian dastar. some mentality like 'you are now kenyans so u must wear our dastar' may have been used! :laugh2:
dhan guru!
guru nanak dev ji also came as far as uganda. :) hence a town called bamunanika
  • Like 1

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

I too am thinking of starting to tie and wear a dastaar most presumabally a dumalla-nihang style, however i do have some question regarding of wearing a dastaar.

1) during the summer or hot days do you ever get hot and sweaty wearing a dastaar? I mean i do know you usually get hot and sweaty during hot days or during the summer when doing any activity or none, but does it get more hotter wearing a dastaar?

2) wearing a dastaar is it more securely tight on your head? if not or if so then what type of dastaar is much secure on the head?

3) what is the most recommened material used to tying a dastaar?

4) Lastly, for anyone who lives within around london can anyone recommened me a trustworthy shop in which i can go to and purchase the material for the dastaar? I live within south london if that information can help anyone to know where i may purchase material for a dastaar.

I hope i have not offended anyone with the question i have posed. If so i ask for forgivness from Guru Sahib and Saad Sangat for any mistakes made. I am only a manmukh hoping to reach to the guru for love and forgiveness.