Sukhnidhan (Bhang)

I agree 99.999%. the only thing is .. and I hate to say it..if we look at the history of the Khalsa army we know that there are 12 misls and one of the biggest and major misls was misl Bhangi... and they were called that cause they looved and did mass amounts of Bhang.

what are you guys thoughts on that?

I agree 99.999%. the only thing is .. and I hate to say it..if we look at the history of the Khalsa army we know that there are 12 misls and one of the biggest and major misls was misl Bhangi... and they were called that cause they looved and did mass amounts of Bhang.

i think another misconception created in panth just to put phut and weaken the sharda i personally have been talking to nihang singhs even they say dont use sukha just use badam instead

and the mud is naam if one chhaks sukha or sukhnidhan how will he jap naam

I am just assuming here. Maybe it was used as a medicine for those injured in war back in those day(we didnt have effective pain killers back then). Not all Gursikhs fighting in war had been people very high spiritual state to withstand pain. Am assuming maybe thats how it was introduced.

Of-course now its mostly ABUSED by we all know who without any spiritual basis :biggrin2:

I am just assuming here. Maybe it was used as a medicine for those injured in war back in those day(we didnt have effective pain killers back then). Not all Gursikhs fighting in war had been people very high spiritual state to withstand pain. Am assuming maybe thats how it was introduced.

Of-course now its mostly ABUSED by we all know who without any spiritual basis :biggrin2:

i dont understand this why do we even try to think that somebody wont be in a high spiritual state how do we know what was the avastha of such singhs who revolved around guru sahiban more over even if somebody wasnt in that high spiritual state BUT SUTGURU MERA POORA why would they need sukha atleast there were so many medicines then hakeems in every nukad if u state that

Recently finished an article on the 12 misls.

'Aptly named Bhangi for it's members' emphasis upon Bhang, or cannabis, in a liquid form the Bhangi Misl was fathered by Hari Singh, son of Bhoma Singh, of village Hung in Malwa. He was initiated into the Khalsa in 1725 A.D. In an era where Nihungs ran writ he became a great server and consumer of the Shaheedi Degh or the martyr's brew. Diluting it with cannabis he became famed for serving it at large and was aptly named the 'slave of Bhang' or 'Bhangi' by his warrior brethren. Simultaneously any individual who came in contact with him also gained a vociferous love for the said herb and also became known as a Bhangi. Famed for their daring feats of valour the Bhangis soon rose to great prominence in the Punjab and at their peak possessed 15,000 fighting men distributed throughout the Punjab. In 1746 A.D. Hari Singh established his permanent headquarters in Amritsar and subsequently began to acquire territorial possessions by 1755 A.D. Ultimately the domains of Attak, Jhang, Multan, Dera Ismail Khan and Sharanpur fell under his sway enriching him by a sheer Rs. 150,00,000. Aiding the monarch of Patiala, Hari Singh Nihung fell in battle in 1770 A.D. His successor Jhanda Singh, also his eldest issue, marched upon Jammu in 1774 A.D. and after vanquishing any resistance, made the region's overlord, Ranjit Deo, his tributary and taxed Rs. 100,000 from him in tribute annually. Subsequently he marched upon the Nawab of Sarai and succeeded in capturing Abdali's Zamzama cannon. Jhanda Singh's five year reign ended the same year his military accomplishments peaked, bribed by Jai Singh of the Kanihyaa Misl a poverty ridden Sikh shot him dead. His brother Ganda Singh succeeded him as chieftain of the Bhangis but fell in battle in 1775 A.D. Another brother, Desu Singh was elected as chief but he too fell in battle in 1789 A.D. Desu Singh's son Karam Singh succeeded him, but in a familial tradition fell in battle in 1792 A.D. Ultimately Karam Singh's brother Gulab Singh became chief but the latter was a notorious drunkard who swindled his own domains. In 1803 A.D. the Bhangi Misl finally fell after being incorporated into Ranjit Singh's greater Sikh empire.'

Why nihungs drink Sukha ,I know they said , that it is maryada and five patte are allowed. But I think it is not good for any singh who is member of Khalsa army.

'Shardai' or 'Sukh-Nidhan', the provider of peace, as it is commonly known is a medicinal brew specific to the Akali Nihungs. It is a traditional consumable and a homeopathic cure of sorts which provides nourishment and nullifies pain in battle. Scientifically speaking 'Shardai' is an essential provider of amino acids which cool an individual's core temperature and also fuels the brain. The brew itself has a long and varied past, being used by many a warrior culture on the Asian sub-continent. Other than the Akali Nihungs, it is consumed massively by the devotees of Shiva, who however tend to lace it with an excessive amount of 'Bhang' or cannabis. Historically speaking it is said that when Bhai Maan Singh offered Guru Gobind Singh Ji his only worldly possession, 5 cannabis leaves, the Guru blessed him and presented his offering to the Khalsa. Due to the extensive amount of injuries the Khalsa sustained in battle, the Guru allowed it to lace its cooling concoction with 5 cannabis leaves in order to anastheise and numb the pain. Over time whenever the Khalsa was derived of it's medicinal supplies and its edible sources, it used to rely on 'Shardai' to provide it nourishment. It is also a natural hunger-booster and alleviates any dietary ailments.

"Make Sukha for destroying suffering. The Khalsa consumes it with black pepper, it makes the body hungry and strong. It takes away the suffering of all.”
- Kavi Santokh Singh, ‘Suraj Prakash Granth.’
Over time, however, a few individuals have tended to change the Guru's edict on perusing only 5 leaves and now indulge in a high amount of intoxication.
There is a certain procedure which needs to be paid adherence to before the brewing of the concoction itself. An individual needs to awake in the morning, while the stars are still present in the sky, observe his daily recitation from the scriptures after cleansing himself, his hair and adorning a warrior's turban. After this step he will sit down to brew the 'Shardai' itself in a clean and hygienic manner. The concocting itself is composed of another unique procedure. A 'Gahra' or a bowl (preferably made of iron) is required. In this all the ingredients are placed and then ground via a 'sloatar' or fighting stick.
A certain amount of milk is also required to liquify the brew for consumption. After an intensive amount of grinding a paste is produced, 'nugada', which is then filtered and separated from the now ready 'Shardai' via a specific cloth. There are two classes of 'Shardai' the simple non-cannabis one, and the contrary cannabis 'Shardai.' Both are useful aides in combat and otherwise.
As per the Guru's edicts the cannabis laced concoction should only be consumed in battle to avoid intoxication and it's consequences.

i dont understand this why do we even try to think that somebody wont be in a high spiritual state how do we know what was the avastha of such singhs who revolved around guru sahiban more over even if somebody wasnt in that high spiritual state BUT SUTGURU MERA POORA why would they need sukha atleast there were so many medicines then hakeems in every nukad if u state that

cool down ...you dont need to lash on an assumption you know :biggrin2: ...gursikh with high spiritual states tend to be above pain...thats what I meant ...and to be jot vigaasi...is never an easy thing and not for all.

hakeems mainly used medicine derived from nature & plants...hence, cannabis must have been known to be and also in usage.

Regardless, canabis usage is kurehit. period.