Documentory called "Storming the Temple" will be shown on History

Channel

on Oct 23, 2004 at 8 pm Est..

TURNING POINTS OF HISTORY VII

Episode: Storming the Temple

Time: Saturday, October 23 at 8:00 PM EST

http://www.historytelevision.ca/tv/shows/t...title_76978.asp

---------

can someone please record it for online sangata?? I don't have cable at my home away home.. :wub: thanks..

Timing is : 8pm EST so that makes it 5pm PST.. :D

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This program is also on in the uk on sunday 24th october @ 22:00 on the history channel.

The following are the details of the program taken from http://www.historychannel.co.uk/_mainsite_...flash/index.ppa (you need to navigate to the correct page by searching for the program title.)

Storming The Temple

2004 is the 15th anniversary of one of the most dramatic and controversial events in modern history: the storming of the Golden Temple in Northern India. The Indian army entered the Golden Temple on June 5th, 1984 in an attempt to oust the Sikh militants who were holed up inside. It was an epic battle of a thousand soldiers, against a few hundred determined and well-armed Sikh militants. The militants' leader was Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, a rustic preacher from the Punjabi countryside whose charisma drew in droves of supporters. When the battle was over, Bhindranwale was dead, along with countless soldiers, militants and civilians and parts of the Golden Temple were in ruins. The Indian government's actions outraged and alienated Sikhs the world over. On October 31, 1984 five months after Operation Bluestar, the militants got their revenge. Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was assassinated by two of her Sikh bodyguards. The following year, in July 1985 Air India Flight 182 was blown out of the sky en route from Canada to India. Suddenly faraway events were affecting the lives of people in the West. Storming the Temple tackles the complex and immensely controversial issues which lie behind these events. It traces the rise of Jarnail Singh Bandranwale from obscure rural preac

her to charismatic leader. It explores the political and religious context of his ascent to prominence.

The documentary demonstrates how Indira Gandhi's failure to appease Sikh grievances made the situation much more volatile and in fact, fuelled Bhindranwale's ascent. By the time she realised her mistake, Bhindranwale had seized enormous control over the peasants and politicians of the Punjab and taken control of the Golden Temple and was provoking the Indian government to take drastic action. At that point, Mrs Gandhi felt her only choice was to send in the army. The consequences were devastating and far-reaching.

Storming the Temple also takes us through the battle itself, an event which remains mired in controversy. In a rare interview, Lt. Gen KS Bar the general who led the assault, gives a detailed account of the battle from his perspective. There are also exclusive interviews with Sikhs who lived inside the temple complex and were there during the assault. Director Christine Nielsen also interviews supporters of Bhindranwale who believe, to this day, that his actions were justified.