Do Sikhs Say “Merry Christmas?”

JSinghnz

December 19, 2014. 3:17 pm • Section: The Search

62 3
oppal2.jpg
When Wally Oppal's Sikh son was young his Canadian public school observed "Winter Fest" as opposed to a Christmas festival. It was never made clear to him who would be offended by references to Christmas.

Posted by:
Douglas Todd

thesearch-left1.jpg
In the name of multiculturalism, many Canadians worry about excluding members of minority religions or atheists by saying things like “Merry Christmas.” These people — who tend to be public officials, employers or social scientists — instead opt for expressions such as “Seasons Greetings.”

But, in response to my recent column on the subject, two prominent Sikhs — Wally Oppal and Balwant Sanghera — have written to express their views on what is sometimes called “the war on Christmas.”

First, here’s an email from Oppal, who has served both as B.C.’s multiculturalism minister and Attorney General:

Dear Doug,

A great column;

Your opinion is long overdue. As a Sikh growing up here I was not only not offended, but we always observed Christmas to the fullest.

We always had a tree and exchanged gifts. When my son was young his school observed “Winter Fest” as opposed to Christmas. It was never made clear to me as to who was offended.
sikh-christmas.jpg?w=212&h=142

Santa Claus shows up at a Sikh event in Burnaby B.C.

As you quite correctly point out when we travel abroad the people in the destinations we travel to don’t feel compelled to apologize to us.

The concept of multiculturalism means accommodating immigrants, but does not mean giving up or compromising our customs and traditions.

And, by the way, who is it that feels excluded by the celebration of Christmas?

Thank you again for the column.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Wally Oppal

Here’s a letter to the editor, previously unpublished, from Balwant Sanghera, a moderate Sikh:

Re: Let’s feel free to observe Christmas, Vancouver Sun: December 6

In Douglas Todd’s latest column regarding the celebration of Christmas, I fully agree that like every other celebration we should feel free to celebrate Christmas.

Canada has become a truly multicultural and multilingual country. More than 200 communities, representing every corner of the world, call Canada their home.

Consequently, celebrations like Vaisakhi, Diwali, Eid, Hanukkah and Chinese New Year have now become mainstream events. Canadians from various backgrounds take an active part in these celebrations.
8770017.jpg?w=189&h=124

Balwant Sanghera says it is unfortunate that when it comes to Christmas, some people hesitate to even wish each other Merry Christmas at this time of the year.

However, it is rather unfortunate that when it comes to Christmas, some people hesitate to even wish each other Merry Christmas at this time of the year.

It shows that the political correctness has gone too far. Christmas, like every other special occasion, is a wonderful time to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

Christmas has a very special meaning especially for children regardless of their heritage.

As soon as the Christmas tree is up, children get excited. They can hardly wait for the day they can open their presents stacked under the Christmas tree. Not only the Christmas tree but also everything associated with Christmas is a matter of great fascination for them.

In my opinion, Christmas is a lot more than a religious celebration. It is a time of goodwill for all humanity. It is time to give, share and celebrate family. For a few days/weeks in December, it brings out the best in most of the people. Rather than getting hung up on political correctness, we need to embrace and celebrate Christmas with open hearts.

Merry Christmas!

Balwant Sanghera, Richmond, BC

Granted, these kind words towards me and the idea of saying “Merry Christmas” come from some of the more progressive voices in Canadian Sikhdom.

I don’t know what the majority of the roughly 200,000 Sikhs in this province, or the more fundamentalistic ones, might say about this issue. Even though I understand most Sikhs are warm to manifestations of Christmas in public and in their homes, a more comprehensive answer will have to wait for the pollsters to get involved.

Read the views of the so called Sikhs.

if you live in a predominately Christian Country you would expect them to celebrate their religious festivals and wish the greeting of the season , there is nothing wrong in returning the well wishes , only good manners. Just because my classmates would go home for the hols and celebrate christmas and easter didn't mean my family had to , sure occasionally we would get chocolate at easter and gifts in the Christmas hols but not because of their celebrations . We were told that it was were good all year and deserved something nice ...

This year I started to stamp Sikh holidays in our family calendar as MUST CELEBRATES as the in-laws hols always seemed to take the main stage ...no jealousy just educating them that our days are just as important to us and showed them that they can be celebrated in a dignified , holy way as their's should be too.

if you live in a predominately Christian Country you would expect them to celebrate their religious festivals and wish the greeting of the season , there is nothing wrong in returning the well wishes , only good manners. Just because my classmates would go home for the hols and celebrate christmas and easter didn't mean my family had to , sure occasionally we would get chocolate at easter and gifts in the Christmas hols but not because of their celebrations . We were told that it was were good all year and deserved something nice ...

This year I started to stamp Sikh holidays in our family calendar as MUST CELEBRATES as the in-laws hols always seemed to take the main stage ...no jealousy just educating them that our days are just as important to us and showed them that they can be celebrated in a dignified , holy way as their's should be too.

Yes and go all the way to celebrate their festivals and start saying " Merry Christmas."

to fellow Sikhs too. Also make clowns of yourselves by taking Panj Piaras to lead Sikhs

in the Santa parade.

Yes and go all the way to celebrate their festivals and start saying " Merry Christmas."

to fellow Sikhs too. Also make clowns of yourselves by taking Panj Piaras to lead Sikhs

in the Santa parade.

so if a child or teacher wishes you you would brush their wish aside and be rude ? if someone says have a nice day do you just stare them down and then turn away or brush past them ?...just wondering ...

I cooked food like all the other Mums for the school parties , does that mean I affronted Sikhi ? I think not I did part of the job of a parent just like all the others...I teach my kids about Sikhi and we did talk about Chaar Sahibzahidey and Guru Gobind SIngh ji and that was the most important thing for them , they got new jumpers because that's what they needed I didn't play up tales of Santa so chill ...

so if a child or teacher wishes you you would brush their wish aside and be rude ? if someone says have a nice day do you just stare them down and then turn away or brush past them ?...just wondering ...

I cooked food like all the other Mums for the school parties , does that mean I affronted Sikhi ? I think not I did part of the job of a parent just like all the others...I teach my kids about Sikhi and we did talk about Chaar Sahibzahidey and Guru Gobind SIngh ji and that was the most important thing for them , they got new jumpers because that's what they needed I didn't play up tales of Santa so chill ...

Where did the child or teacher wishes come in here. If you read what I wrote again, I am talking about Sikhs celebrating Christmas

and wishing Merry Christmas to each other because they live in a "predominately Christian country" and hence have every right to

make clowns of themselves.

The discussion (above) is all very well. I've read it, and I was about to give a reply to it. But then, once more I read the origin of this thread....i.e a spposedly 'Sikh' politician in Canada.

I'll plead ignorance here.....I've never heard of this 'Wally' fella. I mean, to most of us Sikhs (outside Canada) (which roughly translates as almost every single Sikh on the planet) the news article has come as a huge surprise....in the sense that a 'news' publication has 'published' something about 'someone' that virtualy no-one has ever heard of.

But, now that we've got this random man's picture in our conscience....Have you ever seen such a sorry excuse of a man ?

Its almost time for breakfast and I'm already being put off eating.

Surely his mum , dad or etended relatives would have told him how, if not kesh, a moustache and beard would have in part hidden his ugliness.

One does, at this point, recall the classic Punjabi song by Shaukat Ali in which he recalls how, when he left Punjab and came to England (in the 1970's), he shaved off his facial hair and made himself look like a 'potato', and aws too ashamed to tell his dad how he looked.

I think, if Shaukat Ali could rewind the clock and take a look at Wally Uppal, he would choose a different vegetable. I'm not sure, but perhaps a hideously deformed and mutant turnip might be apt ?

Guest Jacfsing2

Now I fully support all Sikhs keeping Kesh but to plain out call the man ugly is just rude. But more on topic, if someone says "Merry Christmas" I will most likely just wish them back without making a big deal about it, same if someone said,"Happy Diwali" it's just a day like any other day.

I try to stay away from topics like this but over the last few years there seems to be what i would describe as and "anti every non-Sikh festival" movement going on, there's been pages of discussions about it being appropriate for Sikhs to have a Christmas tree, conversations about the righteousness of letting your Sikh children believe in Mr S Claus and many other's, now i have a fair few non Sikh friends, every year they will take time out and go to the Nagar Kirtan with me, they will wish every one a happy Vaisakhi, they have learnt about Sikhism through participation, a few were even at my local Gurdwara with me yesterday to observe Gurpurab, so if me saying Merry whatever to them or letting my kids take part in a Christmas play makes me less of a Sikh then god only knows which way out faith is headed, my grandad always used to say to me that those who complain the most are more likely than not insecure in their own beliefs, anyway Merry "Insert whatever you like here because i might say something that may offend 1 person" to all of you.

I don't no who these Wally and sangherah clowns r but they seem lik ur classic example of uncle toms or how u ukers say coconuts. They have no right to speak for the sikh community don't know how it is in bc but everywhere else ppl would start laughing at you if u did this. I remember at elementary school we used to have Diwali assembly n all the white kids parents were mad but no1 said anything for Christmas concerts now the tables turned hahaha it should b happy holidays not Merry Christmas