Sikh/punjabi Athleticism And Physical Prowess

We live in western countries. As such

we eat western food

Listen to western music

Talk western languages

Have western morals

Basically, we've become coconuts.

Dhobi da <banned word filter activated>, na ghar ka, na ghat ka

Living in the west hasn't done me much harm; i'm 6ft3, 14 stone, lol. But I'm grateful for western languages because it means we can communicate as we're doing now.

Why do you think we aren't as physically big as we use to be?

When I've gone to see family friends or even gone to weddings, there is barely anyone who looks big in physical appearance, because I have to say hello to a lot of people at the weddings I can see a trend of everyone getting a beer belly. Our Indian culture has been diluted and is no where near the full wholesome one it once was.

When I've gone to see family friends or even gone to weddings, there is barely anyone who looks big in physical appearance, because I have to say hello to a lot of people at the weddings I can see a trend of everyone getting a beer belly. Our Indian culture has been diluted and is no where near the full wholesome one it once was.

Yeah, we're either soft and rotund, or underfed and quite willowy. I'm certain the obsession with alcohol isn't helping, as are the heavy foods made with butter and oil with very little in the way of natural or raw produce. Saying that, the old timers from back home use to consume vast amounts of makhni and other fatty foods, but I suppose their active lifestyles (to put it mildly, lol) meant none or very little of it was converted to fat. Even in these modern times the population back home has begun to suffer from ailments and conditions that were virtually unheard of 40 or so years ago in our grandparents or our parents' times.

The thing is Sikhs have this reputation for being tall and physically imposing but I cannot see this in a lot of contemporary Sikhs.

Looking at the average UK Sikh male,I would say the average height is 5' 8'' and it makes me disappointed because you are kind of led to believe otherwise.

However, I feel relieved (Nasha taking aside) when I go back to Punjab and I see some solid 6'2"" Sikh lads.

Just wondering what it could be. Could it be that the majority of UK Sikhs are from doaba and perhaps they are smaller than those from Malwa and Majha. But then there are a lot of Doaba in Canada and they are bigger than the UK Doaba.

One thing I have noticed is that countries where there is a smaller population with lower population density you have people who are larger and stronger in size such as Afrikaaners of South Africa, Scandinavians or the Pacific Islanders such as the Samoans and Tongans whereas those from higher dense population areas such as India, China, Japan are generally shorter.

Obviously diet plays a large part and I think that Punjab diet is largely a wheat (roti) and dairy based makes a big impact whereas the majority of India is rice based.

Not all Punjabi/Sikhs were tall and well built, regardless if it is today or back then, thats only your perception or what has been fed to you or what you are led to believe......thats just the reality of it. Bhai Bachitar Singh was only like 5 feet tall and in the khalsa fauj.....lots of different types of builds based on backround and lifestlyes etc. The more educated ones were typically shorter and less built while the farmer people were the built ones...its all genetics. They even say Guru Nanak Sahib and Guru Gobind Singh Sahib were around 5 feet 3 inches. So then they wouldn't fit into your box of what you percieve as the reality of punjabi/sikhs.

The same goes for Punjab in general, certain gene pools were tall and certain were not. No different from today.

But I'm grateful for western languages because it means we can communicate as we're doing now.

Right. Not suggesting that the English language is superior to our Maa Boli or anything, but it's lexicon is far more expansive. Makes it much easier to deploy the sort of flowery rhetoric I like so much.

Yeah, we're either soft and rotund, or underfed and quite willowy. I'm certain the obsession with alcohol isn't helping, as are the heavy foods made with butter and oil with very little in the way of natural or raw produce. Saying that, the old timers from back home use to consume vast amounts of makhni and other fatty foods, but I suppose their active lifestyles (to put it mildly, lol) meant none or very little of it was converted to fat. Even in these modern times the population back home has begun to suffer from ailments and conditions that were virtually unheard of 40 or so years ago in our grandparents or our parents' times.

exactly, in older times Sikhs used to work day and night and they were very physically strong so whatever they ate was either converted as energy or into muscle nowadays with technology there is little need for physical labour compared to before so when Indians eat food that is way more readily available, drink alchohol etc and do little exercise then we will seem less physically strong

The thing is Sikhs have this reputation for being tall and physically imposing but I cannot see this in a lot of contemporary Sikhs.

Looking at the average UK Sikh male,I would say the average height is 5' 8'' and it makes me disappointed because you are kind of led to believe otherwise.

However, I feel relieved (Nasha taking aside) when I go back to Punjab and I see some solid 6'2"" Sikh lads.

Just wondering what it could be. Could it be that the majority of UK Sikhs are from doaba and perhaps they are smaller than those from Malwa and Majha. But then there are a lot of Doaba in Canada and they are bigger than the UK Doaba.

One thing I have noticed is that countries where there is a smaller population with lower population density you have people who are larger and stronger in size such as Afrikaaners of South Africa, Scandinavians or the Pacific Islanders such as the Samoans and Tongans whereas those from higher dense population areas such as India, China, Japan are generally shorter.

Obviously diet plays a large part and I think that Punjab diet is largely a wheat (roti) and dairy based makes a big impact whereas the majority of India is rice based.

I think in areas where there is a hotter climate people seem to be larger in their physical appearance, maybe the vitamins from sunlight help growth and in the UK where there is little Sun and more a damp climate, the same nutrients aren't as easily obtained so we will seem shorter. I'm 5'11" so I'm not short or tall but I'm quite wide in shoulder width. It's a shame because in the Guru's time we were probably the most physically intimidating people around.

Not all Punjabi/Sikhs were tall and well built, regardless if it is today or back then, thats only your perception or what has been fed to you or what you are led to believe......thats just the reality of it. Bhai Bachitar Singh was only like 5 feet tall and in the khalsa fauj.....lots of different types of builds based on backround and lifestlyes etc. The more educated ones were typically shorter and less built while the farmer people were the built ones...its all genetics. They even say Guru Nanak Sahib and Guru Gobind Singh Sahib were around 5 feet 3 inches. So then they wouldn't fit into your box of what you percieve as the reality of punjabi/sikhs.

The same goes for Punjab in general, certain gene pools were tall and certain were not. No different from today.

I very much doubt Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji was that height based on the weaponry he used, he would need to be taller. Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib is believed to be over 7 feet tall based on the sheer size of his chola he used.

Right. Not suggesting that the English language is superior to our Maa Boli or anything, but it's lexicon is far more expansive. Makes it much easier to deploy the sort of flowery rhetoric I like so much.

Reading something of Nabokov reminds me how beautiful the English language can be... and he said English couldn't hold a candle to Russian! Show-off, lol.