Turban Questions

Guest Turban girl

Guest Turban girl

Hi everyone

I have decided to wear a turban for the rest of my life. I have some questions that I would like your help with please - and only sikhsangat posters would be experts :biggrin2:

So here goes - I am tying a round turban with an orange keski underneath. My technique is to tie a orange keskhi. I then get the larr and cover my head by holding it directly vertical in the centre of my forehead i.e. joora and orange keshi is covered. Then I wrap it all the way around and I tuck in the final larr at the end.

So the questions -

1. I have noticed some people have turbans which are flat at the top but with me - you can see my joora (covered) - it is really obvious and I have been 'checking' out other peoples turbans and they are flat with no joora. How do people get it flat?

2. Turban for sports - My turban gets loose very quickly - how do you get it to not get loose? Sometimes I am scared of running or doing sports

3. Too tight around ears - So i thought I should make it tighter to make it less loose and now my ears hurt - Is it supposed to cover the top parts of your ears?

4. Sleeping - so if I want a nap (middle of day) - my turban literally falls off! Do people sleep in turbans? How do they keep it looking neat.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Guest Turban Girl

beginning part explains how they keep it sort of rounded/flat.

Thanks for the replies, I've seen a lot of bad videos on YouTube!

I don't feel 'its sikh' to go about flattening the joora - you are supposed to have a Rishi knot. I think it's completely wrong to tie a turban and not have a Rishi knot underneath. At least I know that all flat turban people have no Rishi knots. Honestly I am completely horrified that you can be sikh and not value the Rishi knot which is supposed to protect and cover the tenth gate.

To keep your jooda flat when tying dastar , you should do a Bunga (which I do myself) before you tie. Search for a dumalla video and watch them do the first part. Or you can do another way, where you twist your kesh and wrap your jooda without a knot (kinda loose) and then tie a patka. I used to do this until I learned how to do a Bunga. You don't have to use a bunga for dumalla only, you can even use it to tie Round dastar and maybe even triangle style dastar