Sikh-Punjabi Polticial Power in the West

Deep Singh

I was just thinking:

- In Canada about 6-7 Sikhs/Punjabis are members of the parliament.

- In UK there is a Sikh Fed that does lobby etc, and there are some Sikhs in the parliament.

- Now, two "Punjabis" have entered the US senate: a Christian-Punjabi called Boddy Jindal and a 'Sikh' woman married to a white guy; Nikki Randhawa Haley. I believe it is hard for normal Sikhs to join US politics; you know what happened to Kathuria folks. So this is kind of 'well done'...just think of how many blacks have entered the US senate...it is wonderful that Punjabis have made it so far. Jindal is from Malerkotla and Randhawa is from Amritsar.

Now, this means Sikhs and Punjabis are doing well in the politics outside Punjab. But the idea that Sikh Federation (uk) has is very good! they ask SIkh voters to vote for the candidates that they know would work for SIkhs in various cases. and they do lots of lobby work. In Canada Amritdhari SIkh have entered the parliament. There Sikh community is very strong. In US, Sikhs are scattered at different places...so it is harder. But from what i gathered; there is some kind of political power in Cali and New Mexico areas...not votes, but relationships between sikh leaders and politicians.

So, what about a cross-continental Sikh Organisation that is based upon the ideas of SIkh Fed and even more that can "channelize" Sikh voters to the candidates that are pro-Sikh etc? it will work in europe and north america. All main SIkh politicians of the west should be part of it and also those who are doing lobby. So there could be strategic plans for Sikh/Punjabi political voice outside India.

There is no need of a

'Sikh party', because there is NO chance they could win on their own, what we need is politicians, from every type of political background that are pro-Sikh that are in the lead.

What you think guys?

asking for khalistan-support etc is too much. i am thinking of MPs who atleast support the Sikh turban and kirpan etc. That would do a lot for Sikhs in areas such as france. so globally the sikh voice can be heard.

Jindal and Randhawa news: http://www.newkerala.com/news-daily/news/f...llnews&id=40699

Nikki and jindal will serve american public just like any another american politicians.. It's glad to know that haley and jindal made to HOR.. Congrats to them..

But why we wants sikhs to be in Political system?

In my view:

1) Mainstream American public will somehow come to know who are sikhs. Right now 99% of them see us as arabs or talibans (after 9/11) which we are not. So for that we need a keshdhari singh or Kaur in Congress. That's very simple to understand.. no offense to veer or phaen without kesh

2) Sikhs will get help in introducing bills and so on only if the person is good.. So many stuff happens around world (outside of india) but rarley seen any sikh politicians names on it for any support or any kind of press release. I believe that they do tend to forget the duty for their own community from where they collect the donations for the office.. So it's somehow best for sikhs to support the person whom you think that he/she will LISTEN to you..

3) Nothing is impossible !! If you want to serve the public then start it in a very small scale and work years to come to earn public trust and serve the best for your community and they will choose YOU for higher offical seat. Start small, ENd big.. What Dr. Kathuria did is huge mistake.. He started his race late and was never known of his works to the common ppls of IL state... If people don't know you, you won't get elected specially if you wear turban !!!

4) Forget about outside issues like Khalistan and so on. This might be bitter but in truth you will be choosen to lead public in United states or Canada or UK not the public of Punjab State. But there are

many ways where one can help our brothers and sisters back in punjab.. like introducing Exchange student programs with punjabi sikhs skools and so many other things.

That's what i can of think of sikh and politics in states.. I think i need a break from discussing politics.. Sorry if i went out of topic blush.gif and good thread Deep singh :wub:

Very good points Bhaji.

I believe it is very hard for Sikhs in US to get into highlevel politics. However, if they make it, nothing is better than that.

But lobby-work is equally important. One or two Sikhs in the politics would make a difference, but if lots of mainstream American politicians support Sikhs, it would be the best. That is why i like the idea of organizations such as Sikh Fed (uk). There should be something like that in USA also. In Canada Sikhs are doing well, but it would be good if they also get some broad political organizations from every corner that are pro-Sikh.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Well I also think if Sikhs comes in main stream of the American Policy or any Sikh gets Noble Prize would certainly beneficial.

An yearly Sikh conference can also be organized where Sikhs personalities like Dr. Manmohan Singh, Navdeep Singh from Toronto & other Sikh MPs from Canada, Sikh Fed. UK, India, the one Sikh who played major role in the invention of fibre optics etc. can sit together and find out / discuss ways n means to promote & develop Sikhism world wide.

bhulla chuka dee maufai

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

But lobby-work is equally important. One or two Sikhs in the politics would make a difference, but if lots of mainstream American politicians support Sikhs, it would be the best. That is why i like the idea of organizations such as Sikh Fed (uk). There should be something like that in USA also. In Canada Sikhs are doing well, but it would be good if they also get some broad political organizations from every corner that are pro-Sikh.

Yes veerjee you are Very right !!! Lobbying is the must job and it's the most important tool in us govt. if you lobby, you actually buy the guy.. that's how it works.. But what it takes to do lobby? Not every normal person can do lobby.. Who do lobby for you? Ex-Congress members are always available and thats their job after they get off from HOR or Senate !! Indian-Americans (Indian govt) ppls are always ahead in this case.. They have great lobby in the capitol and it's for their own interest..

Are sikhs in lobbying business? No they are not.. Why?

1) It takes unity which is not in sikh community..

2) It requires HUGE amount of money..

3) Sikhs like to have pictures taken with politicians and publishing them in punjabi newspaper and later framing them in their houses instead of making those leaders to do work for us..

Lobby is the best way to make our voice be heard !

I would say Sikh Federation of UK is the only best way to bring sikhs

forward in politics.. They are the perfect example.. and bsbk veerjee i think sikh Fed are working on something in which they decides to get sikhs together to discuss what issues are important to them.. more like a global sikh politics conference..

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Thanks Vicky Singh Veerjee and I wish all the Sikh Organizations United Sikhs, SGPC, Sikh Missionaries, AKJ everybody should work together for such common and very important goals. Well I know its difficult to bring them on platform but there is no other way left for us.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

It is certain that lobbying would need money, lots!

However, if we get a 'Global Sikh Politics Conference' that nominates american/british/canadian (non-sikh) candidates from various seats before elections and asks the Sikh public in those countries to vote for them by publishing stuff at Gurdwaras/Sikh socities, the power of votes can be used to get 'Sikh-friendly' politicians. And the org should only nominate those candidates that are already pro-Sikh. That way, in the coming elections, THEY will come to the conference and ask for votes....and tell what they will do for Sikhs.

The only way this can work is: if Sikhs are united and have ONE common goal, that is equal rights for Sikhs, and political power for Punjab etc. So we need to be 'Sikh-centric' when we vote. I believe a common Sikh in Bay Area doesn't care about if democrates or republicans win. what he cares about is, if he can wear his/her kirpan, or if his son/daugther can go to school with a dastaar safely. so that is why the conference shouldn't support any parties! they should support LOCAL candidates that are pro-Sikh, either republican, democrats or tory or labour....you see what i mean?

Good points Singh Jis. However having Manmohan Singh-like politicians is good, but i prefer that Punjabi Sikh politicians should not be allowed to enter such a conference. it should only have european and north-american sikh/punjabi leaders. those badal-guys from punjab would just make the situation worse. representatives of sgpc is perhaps ok. i don't know...it is up to you guys sitting in USA. in uk they have got it, and in canada sikhs are already ahead.

Bhul Chuk M

aaf.