pooranmashi

Guest Kamar Kasa
Dal Khalsa

- DSGPC

- PSGPC

- Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar-Mann)

- Akal Purakh Ki Fauj

- World Sikh Council

- Most Singh Sabhas around the world....

And Deep Singh would you be soo kind to tell me even one jatha of these days existed before 100 yrs ago. They all came in 1925 or early 1900's

Sikhi parampara didnt started from 1925 but it started from 1699 when Khalsa Panth was created anyway...so these modern jatha's don't hold any value for me. (Thats my personal opnion anyway)

This is my last post on this forum since i think this is very un-proffestional and bias forum where people opnions are censored just because it does'nt quite match the beleifs that sevadars of this site follow.

G'd luck running this forum.

You said the first post was ur last post but u have now made four more posts and i have a feelin u reply to this post so that will be five. This in my opinion is the best SIkh forum on the net - Great work admini - enuff respect to you - and i agree with rsingh ppl like you go but then come running back under different names!!!! Dont say this forum is un-professional it helps moorakhs like me meet chrdee kala singhs who educate me about Sikhi which i am sooooo greatful for!!!! And no ones beliefs or views are censored - they only following what the majority of the sangat here think. Its just individuals like you who have strange theory about poor admini.

Guest Kamar Kasa
I thought Akal Takht (or 'Akali Bunga' as you may call it) existed before 1699. And where did the message to follow NC come from?...umm, would you be kind of tell me that  :wub:

Yes off course.

But can you explain over decades of control on Akaal Takth by Budda Dal and other sampardha some how holds less weight for you than sgpc control of Akaal takth 80 some yrs only

Where for decades, bikrami calendar was consider as panthic calendar but then some british creation came along (Yes Yes SGPC) and made their own calendar relying on western dates....thats quite shameful of Sikhs relying on western dates.

Whats the difference?? You call us(bikrami) hindufied and we call you westernfied?? LOL.gif

Guest Kamar Kasa
But can you explain over decades of control on Akaal Takth by Budda Dal and other sampardha holds less weight than control of  80 some yrs control of modern british created SGPC?? Which hold more value to you?

The child of Singh Sabha Lehar - the parliament of Tatt Khalsa - offcourse my beloved SGPC!

I respect your opnion and choice.

I hope you respect my choice as well and stop disrespecting bikrami calendar by calling hindu ritaulistic

Nanakshahi: The Sikh Calendar

In the arena of religion, new eras are marked by the birth of prophets or from some important event of their lives. The Christian calendar commenced from the date of birth of Christ. Muslim calendar, which is known as the Hijri calendar, dates back to Prophet Mohammad's exodus from Mecca to Madina. Among Hindus, Bikrami calendar had been popular and it dates back the times of Raja Bikarmajit of Kannauj, now in Madhya Pradesh in present-day India. In the South of India, Saka calendar has been in vogue. In some regions Fazli calendar was used. In the Sikh state of Punjab, Nanakshahi calendar, which commences with the birth of Guru Nanak, the founder of Sikhism, had been adopted by the Sikhs. Recently, there has been a controversy regarding Nanakshahi calendar because some reforms have been made to it. Calendar reform does not involve violation of any religious tenets nor does it undermine any other calendar.

Traditionally, Sikhs as a people have used many calendars. Over time the use of Bikrami calendar became dominant resulting in serious errors in representation of Sikh festivals. The Bikrami calendar contains both solar and lunar components. The lunar component dictates the setting of dates of all major historic events annually. The solar component, which decides the first day of each month, has impacted the celebration of certain events. For, instance, it has impacted Vaisakhi, a significant day marking the ordination of the order of the Khalsa. Accord

ing to Pal Singh (Purewal), a world renowned expert on the Nanakshahi calendar, "The problem with the solar part [of Bikrami calendar]is that Vaisakhi has shifted in relation to seasons. According to Surya Siddhantic calculations Vaisakhi occurred on the day of the Spring Equinox in 532 CE. [1] Now a days the Spring Equinox occurs on 20/21 March, but Vaisakhi on 13/14 April. In another thousand years it will start occurring in May." If Sikhs were to continue using the Bikrami calendar, in 13000 years Vaisakhi would occur in the middle of October. We can state with certitude that Bikrami calendar would also create incongruence between the representation of seasons and months described in the Sikh scripture and their actual occurrence, since Vaisakhi should always occur in the spring month of Vaisakh. [2]

A significant error introduced by the lunar component of the Bikrami calendar can be illustrated by the annual birthday celebration of Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Sikh Guru. According to the Bikrami calendar, the Guru's birthday is celebrated on the 7th day of the bright half of the lunar month of Poh. Because of the nature of the calendar, the Guru's birthday occurred twice in 1992, 1995 and 1998. The birthday did not occur in the years 1991, 1993, and 1996 of Common Era. It also would not have occurred in 1999 (the year of 300th anniversary of the ordination of the Khalsa), if the Sikhs had not adopted the Nanakshahi calendar.

The Nanakshahi calendar provides Sikhs with their own calendar, breaking their dependency on the deeply flawed Bikrami calendar. Furthermore, calendars are an integral part of a religion or a nation. Gregorian calendar of Christians, Hijri calendar of the Muslims, Bikrami and Saka calendars of the Hindus and a distinct calendar of Bahais, define the identities of these religious groups. Finally, the Nanakshahi calendar provides Sikhs with a much awaited opportunity to correctly represent their historic events and move forward with a calendar of their own.

The

Nanakshahi calendar begins with the month of Chet in accordance to revelations recorded in the Sikh scripture, Guru Granth Sahib.

The first day of each month, known as sangrand, in the Nanakshahi calendar correlates to dates on Common Era calendar as shown below. (Sangrand itself has no significance in the Sikh religion, as it is sometimes incorrectly asserted by scholars and practitioners of faith.)

Date in Nanakshahi Date in Common Era

Chet 1 March 14

Vaisakh 1 April 14

Jeth 1 May 15

Harh 1 June 15

Sawan 1 July 16

Bhadon 1 August 16

Asu 1 September 15

Katik 1 October 15

Maghar 1 November 14

Poh 1 December 14

Magh 1 January 13

Phagun 1 February 12

Phagun has 30 days in ordinary year, and 31 days in a year in which the month of February has 29 days. As a result, during a leap year, the corresponding dates of Phagun from March 1 to March 13 will differ by 1 day from those of the same month in non-leap years.

Nanakshahi calendar is becoming popular in the Sikh diaspora and is likely to become the de facto standard of the Sikhs worldwide.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

im very disappointed and saddens me that such a innocent question from a member of the sangat has turned into a huge arguement.

once again i have seen people on this forum bashing the sgpc the way it is run or the people that are in control, yet then again in another topic that same person follows evrything the sgpc say,hmmmm very hypocritical, and i apologise if i offend ne1 as i dont intend 2 but merely speak what i see is going on.

rsingh i was jus wondering wher r from in uk?

yes pooranmashi is NOT gurmat and nothing to do with GURMAT, and i dont think ne1 has said that it is as far as i am aware. HOWEVER up until this nankshahi calender was created EVRY1 followed the bikrami calender, and i dont believe jus cos a person at times adheres to the bikrami calender makes him/her a hindu ritualist.its bit like saying if u adhere to western calender ur a christian ritualist, rather crude analogy i know, sorry.

sangat who go to gurdwara ON the pooranmashi (which is the day ther is a full moon in evry month), go to celebrate Sri Guru Nanaks Dev Jis birthday, as it is believed that Guru Ji was born on a full moon which jus so happens to be given the name pooranmashi. sangat celebrate this day known as pooranmashi not as a ritual yet as a celebration of the founder, the creater of our wonderful SIKHI.

that is why people go to gurdwara ON the pooranmashi, not to celebrate pooranmashi. and if any sangat here goes to a decent nanaksar gurdwara sorry thath, then they will see that there is NO hindu ritual done what so ever!

im not saying that i disagree that pooranm

ashi is not a hindu ritual or what ever it is to them, im jus saying that sikhs who attend gurdwara to do seva, kirtan, bagti, paath, darshan of Sri Guru Granth Sahi Ji, dont go to celebrate pooranmashi.

and no Bhai Amrit u dont eat sweets on puranmashi, u have Guru Jis langar.

also i would like to say, and i havent done any research to back my argment as ther are many claims and counter claims to most arguments, before nanakshahi calender ALL sangat celebrated Guru Nanak Dev Jis birthdate (as November 26th im assuming btw) which has just so happened to be on a full moon in november, and has been evry november of evry year that i can remember.

Gurfateh sangat ji, i hope i may have shed some light on a few areas on this topic. sorry for any spelling or gramatical errors in this post as im feeling rather sleepy lol.

p.s. i have scene, and my dad knows a few Damdani Taksal sangat, attend the pooranmashi to celebrate Guru Jis birthday on a regular basis.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!