Wearing Kara in schools for P.E

Inderpal

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SikhForLife

during my soccer days... i used to tape it to my wrist... kara can really hurt someone when playing soccer or basketball and i understood that.. so just do that if u can..

Please give us the name of your school, the name of the headteacher and the name of your pe teacher, my local sikh group is vert good at dealing with issues like these and has helped many kids with such issues in the surrounding schools.

I will ask the singh in the meanwhile what they did and will try and pass the info on to you or find out who it is that we need to ring for this etc.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

First of all, a Sikh should never take off their Kara, no matter what.

You would never take off your arm, which is a part of your body - so, when you first put on your Kara, it is a gift from Guru Sahib, and ang of your body and should be with you at all times.

Secondly, if all other means fail, as in wearing a sweat band over the top etc, then Young Sikh's UK are currently putting together some paperwork to be distributed to schools in UK, and I would guess eventually around the globe.

It all, in my opinion boils down to education. A lot of schools do just see the Kara as a bracelet - they need to be told, in the nicest possilble way of the deeper importance, and respect for our Kara. The fact that it is not just a mere article of faith, but more of a part of our faith, and part of our body's.

If that mean also fails, then and only then, I think, would it be right to arrange some sort of lobby etc.

BUT, we do all need to stick to one thing, which is, if you are asked to remove your Kara, for anything, you have got to refuse. This is a gift from Guru Gobind Singh Ji, a gift which instantly becomes a part of your body, and should never be taken off. If we all stick to that, only then can we go forward. The worst thing would be for us to start up some sort of education for the schools, only to be slapped back with the response that "some people have no problem in removing their Kara".

Just my two pence worth.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

[font=Gurba

niWebThick]vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!![/font][/font]

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Thanks veer jis and penjis. i will first try a wristband and thenif not i will protest and i think the hockey sticks come into it somewere(i have a few deadly weapons)lol. i will defiantly find out the law on wearing it.

penji or paji from i think nuneaton that had there kara removed inan rs lesson.... man that school is wack. and ysl i need that paper work. plz let me no when finished :nihungsmile: .

next i reckon we should talk about the fact that in schools history lessons should include the fact that sikhs mostly fought in wars. where is the respect for that?

Thanks a bunch. may Vaheguru bless U ALL WITH NAAM pray.gifpray.gifpray.gif :nihungsmile:

I need my roti now

hmmm saag

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

:nihungsmile: Bluey

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Thanks veer jis and penjis. i will first try a wristband and thenif not i will protest and i think the hockey sticks come into it somewere(i have a few deadly weapons)lol. i will defiantly find out the law on wearing it.

penji or paji from i think nuneaton that had there kara removed inan rs lesson.... man that school is wack. and ysl i need that paper work. plz let me no when finished :nihungsmile: .

next i reckon we should talk about the fact that in schools history lessons should include the fact that sikhs mostly fought in wars. where is the respect for that?

Thanks a bunch. may Vaheguru bless U ALL WITH NAAM pray.gifpray.gifpray.gif :nihungsmile:

I need my roti now

hmmm saag

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

:nihungsmile: Bluey

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

If you can. try to get a smaller kara (like those small steel karas) for use in P.E. That way, it cannot be thought of as a threat, and it would be reasonable. I know some people that have these sharp karas with like sharp points and stuff, and they are huge... obviously those are gonna get you into trouble in PE.

But other than that, I agree w/ previous posters, try to use a wristband around it and then see what comes of it. But if they still don't let you, fight it!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!