Are we Sikhs allowed to use any name for God or is that just a misconception spread by people?

TejS

Because if we are allowed to use any name for God, then that refutes the whole argument for not worshiping idols. I could create a name for God, similar to an idol, and begin doing my worship according to that. There would be no difference in that and what idolaters do. 

Or are we only allowed to use the names in the Guru Granth Sahib?

46 minutes ago, TejS said:

Because if we are allowed to use any name for God, then that refutes the whole argument for not worshiping idols. I could create a name for God, similar to an idol, and begin doing my worship according to that. There would be no difference in that and what idolaters do. 

Or are we only allowed to use the names in the Guru Granth Sahib?

First of all, where in the world does this question come from? 

Second, it is really strange how you say that you could "create a name for God, similar to an idol". How is a word similar to an idol?? 

You see no difference between worship of a shabad and worship of a stone? Really?

Third, you do realize that there's a specific name for God that is used in worship among the Sikhs, right? Panj Piyare tell you what that shabad is when you receive Amrit.

I guess you must not have received amrit because you seem to be confused as to what word the Sikhs worship.

1 hour ago, BhForce said:

Second, it is really strange how you say that you could "create a name for God, similar to an idol". How is a word similar to an idol?? 

You see no difference between worship of a shabad and worship of a stone? Really?

Third, you do realize that there's a specific name for God that is used in worship among the Sikhs, right? Panj Piyare tell you what that shabad is when you receive Amrit.

I guess you must not have received amrit because you seem to be confused as to what word the Sikhs worship.

The question stems from a treatise on idolatry I was reading.

The reason behind why idolatry is viewed as wrong in certain religions, such as ours, is because attributing false characteristics not revealed by God himself (itself) leads to disrespect and the creation of a false God. The same can be applied for a name. You can attribute a name to God that is not really representative of God. A name serves a similar purpose to an idol in this way. Both are manifestations, one verbal and the other physical. To elaborate, a name that connotes a meaning not meant for God such as "servant" or "tyrant" would be viewed as degrading and not true to God's nature as revealed in the Guru Granth Sahib.

Now, no logical, serious and sane person would address God in such a disrespectful way, and I am fully aware what name(s) Sikhs use to address God during Amrit Sanchar, but there have been instances where I've heard our people say you can address God with any name. I find that misleading and contradicting and want to know if it's justified by our scriptures or not.

Not sure why you had to be so snarky in answering. And no I haven't taken Amrit, though I have watched many videos of people taking it, and therefore know what goes on during the ceremony. 

2 hours ago, TejS said:

You can attribute a name to God that is not really representative of God.

OK, interesting.

I would say that going by the statements of Guru Gobind Singh ji in the Dasam Granth, it seems to me that Guru Sahib is very much OK with the use of various names for God:

ਬੰਗ ਕੇ ਬੰਗਾਲੀ ਫਿਰਹੰਗ ਕੇ ਫਿਰੰਗਾਵਾਲੀ ਦਿਲੀ ਕੇ ਦਿਲਵਾਲੀ ਤੇਰੀ ਆਗਿਆ ਮੈ ਚਲਤ ਹੈਂ ॥

Bang Ke Bangaaloo Phirhang Ke Phirangaavaaloo Diloo Ke Dilvaaloo Teroo Aagiaa Mai Chalet Hain||

The Bengalis of Bengal, the Phirangis of Phirangistan and Dilwalis of Delhi are the followers of Thy Command.

ਰੋਹ ਕੇ ਰੁਹੇਲੇ ਮਾਘ ਦੇਸ ਕੇ ਮਘੇਲੇ ਬੀਰ ਬੰਗ ਸੀ ਬੁੰਦੇਲੇ ਪਾਪ ਪੁੰਜ ਕੋ ਮਲਤ ਹੈਂ ॥

Roh Ke Ruhele Maagh Des Ke Maghele Boor Bang Soo Buaadele Paap Punj Ko Malat Hain||

The Rohelas of Rohu mountain, the Maghelas of Magadha, the heroic Bangasis of Bangas and the Bundhelas of Bundhelkhand destroy their sins in Thy devotion.

ਗੋਖਾ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਵੈ ਚੀਨ ਮਚੀਨ ਕੇ ਸੀਸ ਨਯਾਵੈ ਤਿੱਬਤੀ ਧਿਆਇ ਦੇਖ ਦੇਹ ਕੋ ਦਲਤ ਹੈਂ ॥

Gokhaa Gun Gaavai Choon Machoon Ke Soos Nyaavai Tibbati Dhiaae Dokh Deh Ko Dalat Hain||

Gorkhas sing Thy Praises, the residents of China and Manchuria bow their heads before Thee and the Tibetans destroy the sufferings of their bodies by remembering Thee.

ਜਿਨੈ ਤੋਹਿ ਧਿਆਇਓ ਤਿਨੈ ਪੂਰਨ ਪ੍ਰਤਾਪ ਪਾਇਓ ਸਰਬ ਧਨ ਧਾਮ ਫਲ ਫੂਲ ਮੋਂ ਫਲਤ ਹੈਂ ॥

Jinai Toh(i)dhiaaio Tinai Pooran Prataap Paaio Sarab Dhan Dhaam Phal Phool Son Phalat Hain||3||255||

Those who meditated on Thee, they obtained perfect Glory, they obtained perfect Glory, they prosper greatly with wealth, fruit and flowers in their homes.3.255.

Akal Ustat, Guru Gobind Singh

It seems that Guru Sahib appreciates the worship by various peoples of God. Obviously, all those people did not undergo Khanda Amrit sanskar, so they're using some other Word. And it would seem Guru ji is OK with that (while at the same time stating that the Satnam is the highest Word of all). BTW, the words used by those peoples would probably be ones not even used in Guru Granth Sahib.

Of course, you'd have to watch out for a name for God that would be disrespectful, but I think that's just implied.

2 hours ago, TejS said:

I've heard our people say you can address God with any name.

Well, I think they're right, within reason. So God and Dieu and Dev would be OK, but Satan and Lucifer would not be.

2 hours ago, TejS said:

Not sure why you had to be so snarky in answering

Sorry, bro. I hope no blood was drawn.

2 hours ago, TejS said:

And no I haven't taken Amrit, though I have watched many videos of people taking it, and therefore know what goes on during the ceremony. 

Pathetic. (Not you, but the Panj Singhs that allowed videotaping and propagation of an Amrit Sanchar.)

You can use any name. Just look at jaap sahib. 

Guru ji says Begger of beggers. Childish of the children. Since we believe in pantheism, i think any name is fine. 

But gurmantar is different. We have only 1 gurmantar. 

Talking abt we can use any names. Talking to God or trying to connect with him, we should use gurmantar. 

On 5/30/2018 at 8:44 AM, BhForce said:

So what is the name of God then? 

2 hours ago, Sukhvirk1976 said:
On 5/30/2018 at 1:14 PM, BhForce said:

So what is the name of God then? 

What? Did you even read my response? Here's the third point, again:

"Third, you do realize that there's a specific name for God that is used in worship among the Sikhs, right? Panj Piyare tell you what that shabad is when you receive Amrit."

The final line seems to apply to you:

"I guess you must not have received amrit because you seem to be confused as to what word the Sikhs worship."

Of people who lack the Gurmantra, Guru Sahib says:

ਗੁਰ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਹੀਣਸ੍ਯ੍ਯ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੰਤ ਜਨਮ ਭ੍ਰਸਟਣਹ ॥

Gur Manthr Heenasy Jo Praanee Dhhriganth Janam Bhrasattaneh ||

That mortal who lacks the Guru's Mantra - cursed and contaminated is his life.

ਕੂਕਰਹ ਸੂਕਰਹ ਗਰਧਭਹ ਕਾਕਹ ਸਰਪਨਹ ਤੁਲਿ ਖਲਹ ॥੩੩॥

Kookareh Sookareh Garadhhabheh Kaakeh Sarapaneh Thul Khaleh ||33||

That blockhead is just a dog, a pig, a jackass, a crow, a snake. ||33||

ਸਲੋਕ ਸਹਸਕ੍ਰਿਤੀ (ਮਃ ੫) (੩੩):੨ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੩੫੬ ਪੰ. ੧੮ 
Salok Sehshritee Guru Arjan Dev

No one hates you bro, the least me. Come into the Guru's grace, and feel his love.

I think I was pretty clear that for merely talking about or referencing God, you can use any name within reason. The word that the Sikhs worship is special, and is only given to those who promise their tan, man, dhan (body, mind, wealth).

On 6/1/2018 at 4:02 AM, BhForce said:

What? Did you even read my response? Here's the third point, again:

"Third, you do realize that there's a specific name for God that is used in worship among the Sikhs, right? Panj Piyare tell you what that shabad is when you receive Amrit."

The final line seems to apply to you:

"I guess you must not have received amrit because you seem to be confused as to what word the Sikhs worship."

Of people who lack the Gurmantra, Guru Sahib says:

ਗੁਰ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਹੀਣਸ੍ਯ੍ਯ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੰਤ ਜਨਮ ਭ੍ਰਸਟਣਹ ॥

Gur Manthr Heenasy Jo Praanee Dhhriganth Janam Bhrasattaneh ||

That mortal who lacks the Guru's Mantra - cursed and contaminated is his life.

ਕੂਕਰਹ ਸੂਕਰਹ ਗਰਧਭਹ ਕਾਕਹ ਸਰਪਨਹ ਤੁਲਿ ਖਲਹ ॥੩੩॥

Kookareh Sookareh Garadhhabheh Kaakeh Sarapaneh Thul Khaleh ||33||

That blockhead is just a dog, a pig, a jackass, a crow, a snake. ||33||

ਸਲੋਕ ਸਹਸਕ੍ਰਿਤੀ (ਮਃ ੫) (੩੩):੨ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੩੫੬ ਪੰ. ੧੮ 
Salok Sehshritee Guru Arjan Dev

No one hates you bro, the least me. Come into the Guru's grace, and feel his love.

I think I was pretty clear that for merely talking about or referencing God, you can use any name within reason. The word that the Sikhs worship is special, and is only given to those who promise their tan, man, dhan (body, mind, wealth).

Bro I don't understand why you felt the need to get so defensive it was a simple enough question 

• 2 years later...