Does Guruji believe in equality?

Jedi_Singh

Sat Sri Akal:

Well, here is a verse from the Dasam Granth Sahib, just for the sake of it:

The following five K's are the mark of Sikhi.These five can never be parted from the body. Kara, Kirpan, Kashera, Kangha, recognise these as four of them.The fifth is Kesh, without which the other four are useless. There are also four H's which must be avoided. Understand this without any doubt, no lies have been told. Hukka, taking tobacco (including any other type of intoxicants). Hajamat, removing of hair. Halalo, eating meat. Haram, adultery (sexual relationships outside of marriage). These are the four H's. Dyeing of beards (including any other body hair), and the wearing of mehndi (including other types of make up) are strictly forbidden. (Sri Dasam Granth)

(http://www.damdamitaksal.com/lit_basicsfivek.htm)

Is this translation correct? If so then how and when did Keski come in?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at ur inquiry as a means to learn more, but I guess I was wrong.

There are many things which many of us do not understand but if we all started looking at them your way then even believing in God would be hard, as many of us are not at a level of understanding him fully.

Dude, Rehitnamas cannot be compared to understanding God. If you don't like to question anything or anyone then that's cool but many of us like to think of ourselves as seekers of truth.

Sat Sri Akal:

Pheena Ji, this was simply a pre-emptive strike ( blush.gif ) cause it looked like the post was going to go into a Rehat discussion. I posted it because it is not usually referenced all that often with the Dasam Granth Sahib reference and thought the Sangat might be interested in seeing it.

The translation of the word Kesh is hair. I will make no comment on the validity of either Kesh/Keski as a Kakkar and arguements to either side, but it has been stated that a reference to Keski being a Kakkar was present in the Bhatt Vehis (never read these myself) and some Rehatnamae.

I was looking at ur inquiry as a means to learn more, but I guess I was wrong.

There are many things which many of us do not understand but if we all started looking at them your way then even believing in God would be hard, as many of us are not at a level of understanding him fully.

Like Ryu said, you cannot compare the understanding of God with the understanding of a Code of Conduct. They exist on completly different levels of the mind. Rehit requires your to follow a strict Code which provides Dicipline. You need the Mind to understand the Rehit, Mind cannot comprehend the existence of God. Mind is Thought, God cannot be captured by a Thought.

As for you wanting to learn more from my inqury, then i have further question which you may be able to answer for me.

You mentioned that Guru Nanak dev ji himself voiced the Rehit thru the many Bhais who wrote them. As this can be compared to the 9 Guru who were in the same situation where Guru Nanak Dev ji himself voiced Gurbani thru the Gurus. Same Joat. Now there are no contradictions in the Guru Granth Sahib. Yet why do they exist in the Rehits and why do they differ from a Sampradya to the next. Why is it that the SGPC have the right to change the Rehit as it wishes...ie: try to make Jatkha meat allowable? Now i do not know much about different R

ehit, but it seems every Sampradya has a Rehit whch it follows and it is vaires, from Damdami Taksal, to the Akal Takhat, to the Nihungs, to the AKJ, to the SGPC...etc.

Perhaps you can shed some light on the issues that who is given the rights to change the Rehit or can it be changed? If they can be Changed or add on to, then it is ok to change the Words of Guru Nanak who voiced these Rehits thru the Bhais who wrote them down? Yet we do not have the right to change the words of Guru Granth Sahib which were spoken by the same Manifestation of Guru Nanak?

P.S can an Admin or Mod split this topic to a Rehit Discussion please.