Just A Question

Mehtab Singh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Sometimes my friends and I go out and we pay for each other's meals etc. But this has been bothering me for sometime now..... Is it okay for me to pay for their meals even though its not vegetarian and its not something I eat..I get this feeling that I am supporting meat in that way......i don't know......I just want to know what's the sangats views on this.......

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I do that too... I guess here is another question to throw into the pile: is it OK to pay money to the foodbank which they will use to buy meat to feed homeless people?

As a side note: I know that last year, the Sikh community in my city was in the news for breaking a new record for the foodbank -- in the Turkey Drive (ie: Sikhs went around and collected Turkeys for donation to the foodbank, and they got like 50-100 or something).

So I guess it is part of the general question: is it ok to pay for meat for others to eat so long as you don't eat it yourself? :T:

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Vaaheguroo jee Ka khalsa Vaheguroo jee kee fateh

mm yeh i have been in this situation be4 aswell when i use to eat from outside i dont think it is right to buy others meat even if u dont eat it becuase it is just as bad becuase ur money is paying for that sin (eating meat) so it is just s bad as you eating it. for example i know of someone who is amritdhari couple years back had big party for his sons wedding he had meat, booze etc so think about it all these people who drank where half knocked out their heads and others eating meat, if u look at it an amritdhari brought these people together so they can get drunk and eat meat even though his morals are strongly against it dont make sense no logic behind it meat,booze,drugs all same things at the end of day there all sins so if u encourage or buy for others to do so then u need take a step back and see what u doing, if ur mates think that their nothing wrng with it then jus explain the ones who take it in to consideration will know that u shouldnt pay for his food. sori if it sounded rude . forgive me

guru bina meh nahee hor!!!!

Vaheguroo jee kaa khalsa Vaheguroo kee fateh :nihungsmile:

Yes i have been in this situation before also and i try my best not to buy food for my friends if its meat, and instead i encourage them everytime lets go to a vegetarian store. But i know it happens sometimes and i agree, even within my family i sometimes buy them.... but it makes sense we shouldnt buy anyone anything that is meat, let them pay ... or just simply say i have no money ...

" Yes i have been in this situation before also and i try my best not to buy food for my friends if its meat, and instead i encourage them everytime lets go to a vegetarian store"

veerji...i don't agree with that....your friends respect you and wouldn't try to "encourage" YOU to go and order a burger...if they eat meat...that's their choice..

the way i see it...if you're gonna pay for their food then don't worry about whether or not they're eating meat...

"or just simply say i have no money"

sorry bro..gotta disagree with you here too.....veerji...first that is lying...which i think isn't cool...secondly...that person is a "friend"...and wants to eat a MEAL.....he's not doing drugs or <admin-profanity filter activated> like that... it's a freaking meal.... i don't know about any of you, but having the money and denying someone a meal, especially a friend, is just something i can't do....my heart wouldn't let me do that...

" Yes i have been in this situation before also and i try my best not to buy food for my friends if its meat, and instead i encourage them everytime lets go to a vegetarian store"

veerji...i don't agree with that....your friends respect you and wouldn't try to "encourage" YOU to go and order a burger...if they eat meat...that's their choice..

the way i see it...if you're gonna pay for their food then don't worry about whether or not they're eating meat...

"or just simply say i have no money"

sorry bro..gotta disagree with you here too.....veerji...first that is lying...which i think isn't cool...secondly...that person is a "friend"...and wants to eat a MEAL.....he's not doing drugs or like that... it's a freaking meal.... i don't know about any of you, but having the money and denying someone a meal, especially a friend, is just something i can't do....my heart wouldn't let me do that...

yea its a meal, that contains meat, that goes against sikhi...

interesting how u want to take a moral stand about lying, but u cant take one about meat

i am taking a moral stand....

read carefully...

I am NOT lying and NOT eating meat......for me eating meat is not about morals...it's about ME following MY guru ji's HUKAM for ME......

JSS, maybe daasn daas' friends are those who were born into Sikh families but got a little lost while finding the path? So isn't it better that someone encourages them to not go against the values of their faith? After all, he only used the word 'encourage' and not 'force'.

Even if they aren't all born into Sikh families, isn't it our duty that we follow the hukam : "jee dya parvaan"?

well i think the best thing is to be straight up.....i had the situation tonite again and i made it clear that i don't find it in my conscience to pay for a meal which i think its wrong to eat....if my friends willin to eat vegetarian then its fine....and all that about denying a friend food to eat....thats craaaapppppp....its not like he/she 's dying and he needs meat.....cuz in the end of the day im the ones who's supporting the meat eating habit...im gonna be the one paying for that meat.....but i guess since my friends are cool....they find my decision alright.......friends are suppose to support ur views..especially if its religious .......

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!!

Not eating meat is a principled decision. Your decision is tied into you being generous gracious and thoughtful about the world around you.

One way to deal with the meal situation and gain respect consistent with your views about meat is to buy all appetizers or desert or coffee/tea, or to pay for the movie, bowling or whatever it is you do and let it be known before hand if it's appropriate.