Help needed

Khalsa_starr

Hello everyone, nice to post here again. Been gone for a while at my friends.

Learning to becoming a sikh has proved to be an interesting venture.

I haven't told my mom yet that i have become a sikh, however, in the new year i am going to break the silence and tell all. Considering that she i a avid JW, it's not going to go down well with here, but a true Sikh doesnt hesitate nor give in to other people.

I also haven't gone to the Sikh temple yet, i want to meet someone else that is a sikh that will give me a few words or advice before i go in. I will probably wite a letter to the temple asking for a someone to meet me first. I like to go with someone else.

Anyways i posted this thread to ask a few questions on the Sikh faith. I have done alot of internet searching lately, however i think it would be benificial for me to learn more from the users here.

Some question i do have:

What should i cover my hair with?

What should i wear while in public?

when confronting another sikh, how should i greet Him/her?

What are common events that occur in the sikh temple (forgot the proper name)

Should i wear the symbol of Sikhism?

i have often seen younger sikh women with their hair uncovered, is that good?

Is dancing good? in a book i read, it said is was good?

What is an in depth meaning of Khalsa?

Do all sikhs want a home country?

Do sikh participate and intermingle with other cultures?

Is iterracial marriage good? (i'm not east indian)

One important question that has gotten to me, is:

What should i do if i'm not welcomed when i attend the sikh temple?

Thanks to all for you help.

SD

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Going to Answer the Question with the small amoutn of knowledge Maharaj ji has blessed with .

Becoming a Sikh, i assume you have give your head, i.e ego and recieve the 'Amrit' of the Guru

Make a search ont he fourm for more info on that.

A cloth, when preparing to become a SIkh i would suggest you begin tieing a small Turban and slowly increase size to a full size one :wub:

ca't respond to thta, but never abandon your turbn :=

with the Greating -

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Sikh temple = Gurudwara

Usually theres a gathering and Sikhs sit united and recite the word of God Gurbani

depends on your local Gurdwaras planning, usually on sundasys because everyones free then.

When 'converting' (don't liek the term)you will be told by the Guru to wear the 5k's

make a search on tha for more details :wub:

no, don't see why it would be

not goign to increase ur spirituality, and take u to the goal any quicker so why waste yur time?

elaborate - Sikhs are identified by theri unique turban, however Sikhs to things like everyone else, work as Doctors, lawyers, Teachesr etc..

we don't believe in race distinction

this will not happen, if u cover your head, and do not take any tobaccor products or anything like that :@

hope that helps

more knowledgable SIksh will surely respond

bhull chukk maaf

forgive me if i have offended you

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Firstly, congratulations! I wish you all the best in breaking the news to your mum. Do not worry, guru sahib is always with his sikhs so he will be supporting your every move.

> Ideally you shoudl cover your head with a turban. however, if you are at a stage where you do not wear one then you can cover your head with a scarf. Make sure it does not slip of.

What should I wear while in public?

> In public you should always try to dress modestly avoiding extremely tight and fitted clothing that is revealing

when confronting another sikh, how should I greet Him/her?

> You should say: wahgeuroo ji ka khalsa waheguroo ji ke fateh! This greeting actually goes to guru sahib as it means the khalsa belongs to waheguroo and victory belongs to waheguroo.

> The common events that occur at the gurdwara are sangrand & gurpurab's are celebrated

>Which sikh symbol do you refer to? If you are referring to a turban then yes.

>Sikhs should alwas respect their hair and keep this tied up wearing a turban. Even females. One of the sikh symbols is a turban which is our crown.

>Sikhs do not dance

>The khalsa is an amritdhaari singh/singhni that is following guru sahib's path. The Khalsa is pure and righteous, humble, strong, etc..the khalsa has many qualities and represent akaal

purakh (god)

>Yes

>Sikhs associate with all, we do not look down on anyone, but we will not compromise our religious principles for the sake of another culture..e.g we will not drink just because every one else is doing so at a cultural event. We call this bad sangat and try to avoid it.

>Race is not the issue..it's religion. In sikhi because marriage in sikhi is about 1 soul in 2 bodies going towards guru sahib and this would not be possible if that person was not in sikhi.

>You will be welcome, because it's guru sahib's house.

I apologise that I was not able to answer all your questions in full because some of have really deep answers and I was just talking a break from my revision!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

If you are going to make the step of becoming a Sikh, you should have researched *most* of these questions before setting your mind upon Sikhism.

The best solution would be to find an amritdhari Sikh (you live in BC.. so it shouldn't be too hard) and talk with him/her directly.

But here are *my* answers:

A: For the first few times, the Gurdwaras (ie: Sikh Temple) have some scarfs outside the actual hall -- you can tie that on your head. However, if you do become a full Sikh and do not cut your hair, you will need to start learning how to tie a turban.

A: Normal everday clothes... and eventually a turban.

A: The proper way is to greet them with "Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa! Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!" But frankly, you greet them the same way as you would greet anybody you know... even a "Yo, whassup?" doesn't hurt.

A: In the Gurdwara, there is generally simran (meditation on Waheguroo), keertan (singing of holy hymns), ardaas (prayer to Guru for blessings and support), langar (free and equal service of blessed food)

A: Umm... what do you mean by "the symbol of Sikhism"? I mean if you have already become a Sikh then you should know this kinda stuff... there is no symbol (unless you are

talking about the khanda which there is an image in my avataar), then no. I'll be fairly blunt, you need to have someone who is Sikh there with you to explain what to wear/do as a Sikh.

A: depends on who you ask. Those who have taken amrit, depending on who they have taken it from, depending on how strictly they follow rehat or what rehat they follow, may or may not have their head covered. Some may use simple chunnie, others tie a full bana. It depends on the person.

A: well, what book is that? I mean, no where does it say that you CAN'T do this or that... but simply Sikhism is based on the fact that there are things that you should or should not do... do things which bring you closer to God... don't do things that take you farther away. The type of dancing, where, with who, etc., all affects this and that will need to be your decision.

A: Khalsa means "pure" Those are the ones who are willing to sacrifice themselves for Sikhism and for their guru. A Khalsa must defend the rights of those who cannot defend their own, help those who need help, feed those who are hungry, at the same time be humble and respect all of God's creation. Many consider the Khalsa as the "true Sikhs", those who have sworn to follow Sikhism.

A: No. How does a "home country" affect your relationship with God? Doesn't help, doesn't hurt.

A: Of course! All paths lead to God, each in their own way. The decision comes in choosing a path that best suites your needs.

A: does color change a person? Does country of origin change a person? NO. When you are to be married, you must marry someone who is compatable with your belie

fs and ideals. That is just common sense. You don't wanna marry someone who follows a different set of beliefs than you do! So, as a Sikh, you should marry another Sikh. If you are Buddhist, well then marry a buddhist, etc.

Overall, I think before trying to jump into anything here or declaring one faith or another, goto the Gurdwara, sit down, talk to people, and see what you like. You cannot say that you wanna be a Sikh, or a Hindu, or a Muslim, or a Christian, or a Jew, or a Buddhist, without knowing what that religion is, what it stands for. But I truly hope that God will show you your path to him!!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Hi.

First of all I would like to congratulate you on choosing to walk on the Sikh Path. May Waheguru (God) bless you and may the Guru guide you on your path.

In regards with helping you with your questions (to the best of my (little) knowledge):

- When going to the Gurdwara headscarves are provided for women and handkerchiefs are provided for men to tie on their head. I suggest that if you feel ready enough, that wearing a turban is also suitable.

The minimum dress for a Sikh is the 5Ks and the turban. Man or woman are instructed by the Guru to tie a turban and keep your head covered. Naturally our clothes should be modest as well. I don't know your situation or where you live so therefore I won't go into detail to what you should wear or not. But definately aim to tie a turban (i am sure someone at the Gurdwara will help you with that)

The Sikh greeting is:

"Waahe-guroo Jee Kaa Khaalsa, Waahe-guroo Jee Kee Fateh" (meaning - the Khalsa (Pure One's) belong to Waheguru (the Wonderful Lord), and all Victory belongs to the Wonderful Lord aswell)

You will also get people say "Sat Siree Akaal" (True is the Immortal Lord) to you, which is another Sikh way of greeting, but all initiated/baptised Sikhs must greet a fellow Sikh with the first greeting.

What are common events that occur in the sikh temple (forgot the proper name)?

1/ Every weekend usually = Akhand Paat Sahib, 48 hrs continous reading of Guru Granth Sahib Ji

2/ Also during the week most Gurdwaras have classes for the Sangat (c

ongregation) teaching Panjabi, IT, Gurmat (knowledge on Sikhism), and Gurbani Santhiyaa (learning how to read Guru Granth Sahib Ji properly)

3/ Gur-purbs = Days connected to the Gurus i.e. Guru's birthdays, martyrdom days, days when the gurus went heavenly abode etc

4/ Vaisakhi = Marking the formation of the Khalsa - thats in April time, processions take place in cities

5/ Weekly Sunday programme = Keertan (singing hymns) and Langar (free kitchen)

- With Waheguru's grace, if and when you are ready, I suggest you wear a "Kara" (an iron bracelet) and wear it on your right arm or you get one on your left and right arm. You can buy a Kara from the Gurdwara or depending on which city you live in you buy it from DTF on Soho Road Birmingham and Sikh Missionary Society in Southall, London

- Also with Guru's grace when you feel ready and confident, and when you determined to follow the Guru's path, I advice that you buy some turban material (materila is called "Rubiaa" or you can buy "cotton" from an Indian shop) - depending on size you can have 3 metres to 5 or 6 metres. Ask someone at the Gurdwara to teach you tie a turban. I am sure they will help.

- All Sikhs should cover their hair in respect to Waheguru and to keep our hair tidy and clean. (Its also hygienic). Unfortunately you will see many Sikhs who are Sikh by name but are not practising Sikhs... all we can do is live good lives ourselves and inspire and guide those who are not practicing the Guru's teachings at the moment.

I don't see anything wrong with dancing for 'exercise'. However, as a Sikh of the Guru, dancing to songs referring to love, lust, caste, alcohol or inciting hatred or fighting is not gurmat (not following guru's way). However, you will find that Panjabi culture promotes singing and dancing, and

unfortunately Panjabi songs have gone down hill in recent years with their lyrics becoming degrading so therefore please be aware of not confusing Panjabi culture and Sikhi.

A Khalsa literally means "pure one's". On Vaisakhi 1699 when Guru Gobind Singh delivered Amrit (water of immortality) to the 5 Beloved Ones they become Khalsa. To become Khalsa one must take Amrit. Being Khalsa one dedicates his or her life to the Guru's path and in serving the Almighty.

- In 1985, according to the democratic principles of the Khalsa bestowed upon us by the tenth guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji, the Sarbat Khalsa, the Sikh Nation passed a resolution, hukamnama (edict), which stated that the Sikh Nation declares that Sikhs are soveriegn and that all Sikhs will aspire for a free sovereign country.

Yes definately. God resides with all. Guru Nanak Ji travelled on four long journeys. He travelled to Russia, Tibet, China, Afghanistan, Iraq, Saudia Arabia, Burma, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and South India. Thinking of it, 500 yrs ago that was a big chunk of the known world. See God in all, share your blessing and happiness with all and share the positive elements of all cultures.

Your body - you can eat what you wish and desire. However, as Sikhs we cannot eat those foods which are bad for health and produce bad thought and negative elements in mind or body. Therefore most Sikhs are vegetarians, and don't eat fish, egg, or meat. According to Sikh Rehat Maryada, the Sikh Code of Conduct (available on www.sgpc.net), eating Halaal or Kosher meat is prohibited and considered a cardinal sin. Nor do Sikhs drink alcohol/wine, take any intoxicant drugs or smoke tobacco, which are also part of the prohibitions (Kuraits)

What should i do if i'm not wel

comed when i attend the sikh temple?

- If you are not welcomed at the Gurdwara, then you can safely say that those people are not the Sikhs of Guru Nanak Ji and do not follow what they preach or what the Guru's taught. Pray to God for support and guidance. I am sure everything will be okay. Find out about student events in your area (if you live in UK) on www.boss-uk.org

Also depending on where you live, I am sure many Sikh youngsters will support you on your path and give your guidance.

All the best.

Guru Ang Sang. May the Guru be with you and guide you.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

interracial marrige is ok, between diferent races

but the person u marry has to be a amridhari khalsa too

as for homeland

actually

sikhs have declared it as one of their goals to get khalistan

and a true sikh listens to guru gobind singh je

and guru je says in dasam granth

rule is needed for religion

raaj

for more info on this sort of stuff, i wud really reccomend www.searchsikhism.com'

ure hair shud not be naked at any times, ecept for baths

bhula chuka mafWaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

vaheguroo jee ka khalsa vaheguroo jee kee fateh!!!

congratulations :wub:

i think all of your queries have been addressed adequately, i just wanted to add one thing:

(you live in BC.. so it shouldn't be too hard)

when coming into and learning about sikhi, one of the MOST important things is sangat... which is basically the company of gursikhs. We all know that a person becomes like the people around them, therefore the company of gursikhs would help you on the path of becoming one.

If you live in BC, sangat is hard to NOT come across... check out bcsikhyouth.com and join the mailing list to find out about the many youth programs held in/around vancouver.

another point i wanted to make, if you do happen to have a bad experience at a gurdwara, i.e. if the people there are unwelcoming, which SHOULDN'T happen, but in case it does, please don't be disillusioned... that's not what Sikhi is about. Gurdwara, which literally translates into gate/door of the guru, is open to everyone.

- If you are not welcomed at the Gurdwara, then you can safely say that those people are not the Sikhs of Guru Nanak Ji and do not follow what they preach or what the Guru's taught. Pray to God for support and guidance. I am sure everything will be okay. Find out about student events in your area (if you live in UK) on www.boss-uk.org
Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Those were some good responses that hopefully helped starrdarcy

one more thing about the Gurdwara and not being excepted

you might find that a lot of people will stare at you funny

(that's just what indians do lol :wub: it is a bad habit)

you could get discouraged after visiting a Gurdwara

but Sher punjabi gave an excellent explanation of that above

i hate to be negative but the truth is there are many Gurdwara's where the congregation does not follow Sikh practices

a large portion of the congregation is there just for social reasons and nothing more than pleasing their friends and family or whoever invited them

ALSO

you may want to try going to a Sikh camp

you will learn lots and the enviroment might be easier to fit into

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo

Jee Kee Fateh!!