How should we be Managing prisoners

18 minutes ago, GuestSingh12345 said:

I think we should make prisoners do productive labour that makes profit so they\re not just sitting there and wasting tax payers money. This way we make money from prisoners.of course the work should be safe enough were security can easily control roudy situations and work that doesn't give them a lot of oppurtunity to escape. I was thinking maybe making the mine or chop trees,or even set up assembly lines for something. What do you guys think? 

i have a cousin who was in jail and he said that they do jobs within the prison, he used to do cooking and cleaning in the kitchen but then some others did the garden stuff etc.  but yeah i get what you mean, if a prisoners behavior has improved an is grounded then they should start taking them out and getting them to do other jobs but obviously with security measures. my cousin did his GCSEs in there lol!  but because his behavior improved they let him come out of jail for couple of hours and then he would go back. 

this was several years ago but maybe things have changed now ...

• 2 years later...
On 3/29/2019 at 10:15 PM, GuestSingh12345 said:

I think we should make prisoners do productive labour that makes profit so they\re not just sitting there and wasting tax payers money. This way we make money from prisoners.of course the work should be safe enough were security can easily control roudy situations and work that doesn't give them a lot of oppurtunity to escape. I was thinking maybe making the mine or chop trees,or even set up assembly lines for something. What do you guys think? 

Bump

I started a related thread last year

What I would say to your opening post is that there are a fair number of prisoners who should not be there

Should someone like Jagtar Singh Jaggi be doing 'hard labor'?

@proudkaur21

@Kau89r8 what do you think?

@GurjantGnostic I have seen on TV here in UK that USA has a massive economy generated from prisoners, and that's an agenda for why they have many prisoners ?

Related article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58303679

On 2/9/2022 at 11:21 AM, Premi5 said:

Bump

I started a related thread last year

What I would say to your opening post is that there are a fair number of prisoners who should not be there

Should someone like Jagtar Singh Jaggi be doing 'hard labor'?

@proudkaur21

@Kau89r8 what do you think?

@GurjantGnostic I have seen on TV here in UK that USA has a massive economy generated from prisoners, and that's an agenda for why they have many prisoners ?

Related article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58303679

Prisons should cost and cost a lot. No moves to defer the cost of incarceration, or worse, make it profitable should be allowed. 

Underlying factors of poverty and destroyed family units must be addressed to reduce crime. 

Crime should carry more probation and other things to allow the person to work and pay taxes while learning to be sociable. 

Those who need to be held long term or forever should be treated with the utmost kindness and respect. Cruelty doesn't help anyone or deter anyone. And if they are to be released they must be civil, as such they must be immersed in civil. 

Prison should be so civilized that the wrongly convicted are safe and able to return to society. 

Some 10 percent or less of the population should or would be incarcerated ever at one point, a smaller percentage for life. 

Even a Rachird Ramirez should be quietly living out a tv perfect existence in prison. 

Before anyone cimes with the "if prison is too nice everyone will just go"..no they won't. Freedom means a lot. And some people are not criminals but are lazy and indigent and government is paying for them one way or another. 

We need government work and housing programs. That run your life for you. That are voluntary. Some people can't escape being institutionalized. They might require an institution in the free world too. 

Prison is so brutal, and effects your mind so adversely, some people go in innocent or relatively well balanced and at the end of their long sentence simply can't make it on the outside so they do crime to get back in. 

People that get life sentences should be given the choice of a quick death, but there should be no imposed death penalty outside of those that get killed resisting arrest or assaulting officers, which far more attention must be paid, as it should almost never happen, and should require truly life threatening situations to occur. As is now you can be underaged, innocent, unarmed and black and get shot. Lynched basically.