Redoptics

Nishan Sahib, when did we start using the Khanda

4 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

To be honest they are real weapons used by Guru Hargobind Ji and Sikhs going forward,  I do not think there was any symbolic meaning to it, but obviously I could be wrong. Symbolism is usually repeating motifs such as eye of horus,  dawn of a new day, a cross etc etc etc. 

See I disagree there. When we start looking at the writings of Guru ji as in the Dasam Granth and Zafarnama, we see symbolism and subtle allusion used heavily therein. I mean one of the most blatant examples is the use of the Chandi narrative. Look at the whole Khalsa culture - it is ram packed with symbolism too (as well as heavily practical aspects!) 

It seems out of character for Guru ji not to give deep thought to these things from what I can gather???? 

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
1 minute ago, dallysingh101 said:

See I disagree there. When we start looking at the writings of Guru ji as in the Dasam Granth and Zafarnama, we see symbolism and subtle allusion used heavily therein. I mean one of the most blatant examples is the use of the Chandi narrative. Look at the whole Khalsa culture - it is ram packed with symbolism too (as well as heavily practical aspects!) 

It seems out of character for Guru ji not to give deep thought to these things from what I can gather???? 

You might be spot on but like I said I am not sure on this one, maybe some research is needed?

3 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

You might be spot on but like I said I am not sure on this one, maybe some research is needed?

I agree.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:13 PM, dallysingh101 said:

I agree.

Still have not found information on why we changed to khanda, have you had any luck looking into this?

Edited by Redoptics

50 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

Still have not found information on why we changed to khanda, have you had any luck looking into this?

It's obvious to me.

After annexation, goray introduced a lot of things to try and break Sikhs from their past/roots. The new insignia was probably part of it.

Simples. 

DOk6SYFWAAAFc_T.jpg.b17eb07130a3ad6d76eebb9e1f8bce48.jpgdalnishan1.jpg.c74e8678449a0f2673e4a1e0011ec642.jpg

On 6/23/2019 at 3:57 PM, dallysingh101 said:

Yep, that we should have had our own space program by now. lol

Well, we could have.

I mean, if the close-to-failing jihadi state of Pakistan can have basically nuclear parity with India, we certainly could have had a space program if we hadn't lost the Sikh Raj. Israel does.

।ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ।।ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹਿ।

। ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ।।ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹਿ।

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2019 at 5:27 AM, FreshMind13 said:

DOk6SYFWAAAFc_T.jpg.b17eb07130a3ad6d76eebb9e1f8bce48.jpg

This is one suspicious looking flag, which firstly, is in no way as old as M. Ranjit Singh's time. You can tell just by looking at the condition of it. And if it is a replica of an older one, where is the original?

We have other standards from that time available, none of them look like this. 

22 hours ago, BhForce said:

Well, we could have.

I mean, if the close-to-failing jihadi state of Pakistan can have basically nuclear parity with India, we certainly could have had a space program if we hadn't lost the Sikh Raj. Israel does.

They've basically had a lot of help by outside forces that view them as geopolitically important. 

I think a lot of our lot can't seem to step above rural farmer mentalities into global realities. It's like many of them are a stuck in a mental timewarp? Or maybe they are just biologically unsophisticated through inbreeding? 

20 hours ago, RajKaregaKhalsa1 said:

।ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ।।ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹਿ।

। ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ।।ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹਿ।

Great video. 

Everyone should watch it. Answers the OP's question quite thoroughly. 

You should maybe make a new thread and repost the video - so more people will watch it. 

Edited by dallysingh101

On 7/21/2019 at 9:26 AM, Redoptics said:

So future is not orange but blue, want original to cover my head. 

absolutely!!!

I also saw one jathebandi and it's founder were keen on using the new colonial khanda symbol and wearing on their turbans as well, that jathebandi is well known for doing rehnsbai

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:41 AM, Redoptics said:

Just wondering when we started using the khanda? And who introduced it? Was looking at some old paintings and Nishan Sahib was different.

Guru_Gobind_Singh_with_followers.jpg

Kattar_Dhal_Talwar.jpg

Sikh_flag.jpg

WJKK WJKF

We started using the khanda when the british forcefully made us change the cutting of the Nishan Sahib. When the cutting was changed, the 3ft Kirpan was facing downwards, which ment surrender [as shown in the second picture]. Now the Khalsa never surrenders so we started to use a smaller Kirpan in our Nishan Sahibs. From that, we some how ended up using a Khanda in our nishan sahibs. Another thing is, is that there always used to be a Farla [cloth] tide to the top of the nishan. Nishan Sahibs used to be blue and there used to be a Teer [spear head]  on top of the Nishan Sahib. Only a few jathebandis like Taksal and Nihang Singhs follow this maryada

dalnishan1.jpg

dalnishan6.jpg

early_4.jpg

early_4a.jpg

early_7a.jpg

Untitled.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1