My family are nuts over this turkish tv series

Guest K.S.Kaur

Yea my dad also watches it really frequently. It shows good family and religious values that appeals to maybe some religious sikhs but its pretty much propaganda for turkish history. It shows christians and mongols are weird and evil while most muslims even the bad ones are honorable, great fighters and fair. Take it as it is. But getting getting obsessed with it is crazy especially if you start comparing it to sikh leaders of the past or thinking its genuine history 

On 1/28/2020 at 11:07 AM, Guest K.S.Kaur said:

Wgk-Wgf

My family are absolutely obsessed with this Turkish Islamic TV series about small tribes of nomadic people rising against the powerful Mongol hordes and the mighty European crusader armies in the 13th century . Apparently it's similar to what Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj experienced in his life time against the powerful and outnumbered Mughals. Has anyone seen this movie and what do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fJXATpIiUQ&list=PLDoK5CcjJZA6JfX5IsRx6tPJU_Wem-r3w

I think its a load of codswallop. 

The only good thing about turkey. Is Christmas with all the trimmings. 

On 3/6/2020 at 10:51 PM, H908 said:

Yea my dad also watches it really frequently. It shows good family and religious values that appeals to maybe some religious sikhs but its pretty much propaganda for turkish history. It shows christians and mongols are weird and evil while most muslims even the bad ones are honorable, great fighters and fair. Take it as it is. But getting getting obsessed with it is crazy especially if you start comparing it to sikh leaders of the past or thinking its genuine history 

funny thing is though mughals came from the intermingling of truks and mongols

Guest GSVKaur_London
On 3/8/2020 at 12:28 AM, jkvlondon said:

funny thing is though mughals came from the intermingling of truks and mongols

Even my family are hooked into this popular Turkish series. My dad worked in Istanbul for years and very aware of Ottoman history, and apparently many of the historical characters and plots are based on real events and fascinated by it's story line, especially the morals based on trust in God alone. I did watch few episodes and I understand why many people would be interested. 

On 3/11/2020 at 3:59 AM, Guest GSVKaur_London said:

Even my family are hooked into this popular Turkish series. My dad worked in Istanbul for years and very aware of Ottoman history, and apparently many of the historical characters and plots are based on real events and fascinated by it's story line, especially the morals based on trust in God alone. I did watch few episodes and I understand why many people would be interested. 

Yea the show appeals to sikhs’ faith and martial tradition. But ironically, its a lot of propaganda for turks to be proud of their ancestors. If sikhs shared their history, they wouldnt have to fluff up anything.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:29 PM, proactive said:

Islamic propaganda. I wouldn't waste my time watching the life of someone who thought a slave dealer who allowed his followers to rape captured women was an ideal example for all time.

this.so.much... what I got from talks with girl friends and relatives who had watched those turkish series and soap operas (which I tried to watch to make my own opinion) is that when having a bad day, it serves as a sort of escape: "at least I was not forced to marry nor sold by my father to become the wife of a man I've never met", "at least I'm not beaten nor shouted at a regular basis", etc, pretty much like "my life is not so bad after all when I compare it with these grim, miserable ones"... but I consider them negative examples, not really inspiring, in terms of how most female characters on those soaps are divided between the "good ladies", martyrs (often to the point of idiocy) who endure all types of suffering, humilliation, beatings, etc, with total resignation, and their only way out is being rescued by a "white knight" (such a great example for young girls), always dependant... while the "evil ones" (who are smarter, but use their intelligence for evil, who even become popular due to their bad antics) spend their whole time plotting, scheming, and in general being nasty to other women in a perpetual game to gain the attention and favours from guys (a horrible example to follow)... and is not a surprise coming from a cultural frame which keep women relegated as second class persons, because promote the idea that to thrive in life they either have to put other women down, or wait passively to "be rescued", instead of promoting sorority, helping each other to learn things to make things happen based on their own inner strength, empowering them into taking control of their own life to become proper companions and partners of their men on an equal ground, being intelligent and virtuous...

The historical ones may have high production standards, but just thinking at how those Ottoman hordes would end raping and slaving whole populations as they did (and Christians were not that much better at that time tbh) is not appealing for me to enjoy, and is certainly well crafted propaganda..