Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dharamyudh

Question regarding Banda Singh Bahadur in Suraj Parkash

Recommended Posts

Just had a question regarding this specific passage within Suraj Parkash regarding Banda Singh.

spacer.png

 

Now I know we have to read Suraj Parkash with a pinch of salt, however take note of the fact that Kavi Santokh Singh noted that they placed 3 things before Banda Singh Bahadur.  First he was to wear the blue bana, consume meat, and then alcohol. My main concern is regarding the alcohol bit. If anyone could try to explain the importance of this, or try to explain why the Singhs offered alcohol. Please let me know. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ghokal Chand Narang writes:

The founder of the Bhangi Misl, Chajja Singh, lived in a village near Amritsar. Chajja Singh took Khandey di pauhal from Banda Singh Bhadur. 
 

Now, if Banda Singh hadn’t taken Amrit himself, how could he been in the Panj pyare, to give Amrit?

Chajja Singh was a mighty warrior!

There are some adulterations to this Granth. The British adulterated the Sau Sakhi, in order to break the Khalsa spirit. 
 

The biggest bench mark that we have, is SGGS. Any historical event that does not conform to Gurbani, is contentious!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dharamyudh said:

Got this quote from Manglacharan, definitely check his page out. He also does an English podcast on Suraj Parkash. 

Yh i go through his page sometimes, some really interesting stuff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MokhamSingh said:

Ghokal Chand Narang writes:

The founder of the Bhangi Misl, Chajja Singh, lived in a village near Amritsar. Chajja Singh took Khandey di pauhal from Banda Singh Bhadur. 
 

Now, if Banda Singh hadn’t taken Amrit himself, how could he been in the Panj pyare, to give Amrit?

Chajja Singh was a mighty warrior!

There are some adulterations to this Granth. The British adulterated the Sau Sakhi, in order to break the Khalsa spirit. 
 

The biggest bench mark that we have, is SGGS. Any historical event that does not conform to Gurbani, is contentious!

Yeah, I find this really odd. A lot of conflicting stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dharamyudh said:

First he was to wear the blue bana, consume meat, and then alcohol. My main concern is regarding the alcohol bit. If anyone could try to explain the importance of this, or try to explain why the Singhs offered alcohol. Please let me know. 

The word "ਮਦ" means intoxicant. It can be taken as alcohol in some instances but in the context of the above it is refering to intoxicants ie bhang/sukh nidhaan which the Dal Panth has and does consume even today.

The three stipulations are all part and parcel of the Dal Panth - jhatka, sukh nidhaan and neela bana.

 

Hope this helps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chatanga1 said:

The word "ਮਦ" means intoxicant. It can be taken as alcohol in some instances but in the context of the above it is refering to intoxicants ie bhang/sukh nidhaan which the Dal Panth has and does consume even today.

The three stipulations are all part and parcel of the Dal Panth - jhatka, sukh nidhaan and neela bana.

 

Hope this helps.

Appreciate the response. Makes a lot more sense in the context this was written in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use