Jump to content

Auctioning of Sikh historical artifacts.


dallysingh101
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, dharamyudh said:

Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj. 

I don't think that is near contemporary, I'd guess the mid 1800s give or take a few decades either side.  And let's keep it real, the others which some believe are contemporary show Guru ji with an earring. Interesting image though, got any background to it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

I don't think that is near contemporary, I'd guess the mid 1800s give or take a few decades either side.  And let's keep it real, the others which some believe are contemporary show Guru ji with an earring. Interesting image though, got any background to it? 

Kinda iffy on that ebay post, but I've seen an identical in the Toor collection. Only different is that Maharaj has a Singh doing chaur sahib and a guard next to them. And you're right, this painting is dated around 1835. 

d59be2f0846c0da741f8eaa79f3eeed1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dharamyudh said:

Kinda iffy on that ebay post, but I've seen an identical in the Toor collection. Only different is that Maharaj has a Singh doing chaur sahib and a guard next to them. And you're right, this painting is dated around 1835. 

d59be2f0846c0da741f8eaa79f3eeed1.jpg

Given the prices these Sikh heritage items can go for, we have to be careful of fakes too. Wouldn't take much for someone to figure out that this might be a lucrative market for them. Plus you know how some apnay can be gullible.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Given the prices these Sikh heritage can go for, we have to be careful of fakes too. Wouldn't take much for someone to figure out that this might be a lucrative market for them. Plus you know how some apnay can be gullible.    

100%. I'm personally looking into collecting puratan shastars. Currently have one in possession but that dates around the 50s with a Nihang Jathedar. Sometimes you can come across handles that are really ancient in some of these shastar shops in India. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, dharamyudh said:

Kinda iffy on that ebay post, but I've seen an identical in the Toor collection. Only different is that Maharaj has a Singh doing chaur sahib and a guard next to them. And you're right, this painting is dated around 1835. 

d59be2f0846c0da741f8eaa79f3eeed1.jpg

I found another variation of this picture. 

FZ3NOhyUIAEBH9j?format=jpg&name=900x900

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2022 at 8:56 PM, dharamyudh said:

I'm personally looking into collecting puratan shastars.

First just start with what you need for personal protection. If you truly want to keep our traditions alive (and as you're in Canada), you need to be on the firing range regularly. Spend your money on that and develop your expertise in that area. Or you'll just be like most nihangs back home, who wouldn't be any use in modern conflicts.

That'll help the panth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

First just start with what you need for personal protection. If you truly want to keep our traditions alive (and as you're in Canada), you need to be on the firing range regularly. Spend your money on that and develop your expertise in that area. Or you'll just be like most nihangs back home, who wouldn't be any use in modern conflicts.

That'll help the panth

Planning on getting my gun license next summer actually. Unfortunately, the Canadian government is looking on imposing even more restrictions on weapons because of the US school shootings. Other than that, we usually have a group of Singhs from the Dal that go shooting regularly over here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Or you'll just be like most nihangs back home, who wouldn't be any use in modern conflicts.

 

This is a serious problem ngl. Guns are praised the same way as swords in Dasam Patshah's bani idk why they all don't get strapped up. Don't get me wrong, there are some Nihangs that are shooters but most usually don't carry anything outside of swords and spears. Even if we look through puratan history, Akalis were known for carrying matchlock rifles.

"They are, without any exception, the most insolent and worthless race of people in all India. They are religious fanatics, and acknowledge no ruler and no laws but their own; think nothing of robbery or even murder, should they happen to be in the humour for it. They move about constantly, armed to the teeth, and it is not an uncommon thing to see them riding about with a drawn sword in each hand, two more in their belt, a matchlock at their back, and three or four pair of quoits fastened round their turbans."

-Sir Lepel Griffin, Ranjit Singh (London: Clarendon Press 1892)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dharamyudh said:

This is a serious problem ngl. Guns are praised the same way as swords in Dasam Patshah's bani idk why they all don't get strapped up. Don't get me wrong, there are some Nihangs that are shooters but most usually don't carry anything outside of swords and spears. Even if we look through puratan history, Akalis were known for carrying matchlock rifles.

"They are, without any exception, the most insolent and worthless race of people in all India. They are religious fanatics, and acknowledge no ruler and no laws but their own; think nothing of robbery or even murder, should they happen to be in the humour for it. They move about constantly, armed to the teeth, and it is not an uncommon thing to see them riding about with a drawn sword in each hand, two more in their belt, a matchlock at their back, and three or four pair of quoits fastened round their turbans."

-Sir Lepel Griffin, Ranjit Singh (London: Clarendon Press 1892)

 

Buy a few shastars for yourself and home protection - you can always pass them down. Be careful no young kids  get hold of them and do anything silly though. I like stuff like this:

medium_A230226__0001_.jpg

I don't get a lot of aspects of rural apnay. It's like they can't extrapolate, and live in a childlike dream fantasy. Anyway, here's how our neighbours are armed (thanks america!)

Why the Taliban Won | Foreign Affairs

Kabul Under Taliban Control: Checkpoints, Beatings, Fear - WSJ

U.S. weapons in Taliban hands: Can the group use what it took? - The  Washington Post

Billions spent on Afghan army ultimately benefited Taliban | AP News

Taliban celebrate their new US arsenal: Rifles, Humvees, ammo - CNNPolitics

 

They've modernised. The Badri 313 unit. 

Taliban release propaganda film of 'Badri 313' special forces squadron

What is the Badri 313? Feared Taliban 'special forces' spotted sporting  American equipment | MEAWW

The Taliban special forces: Heavily armed fighters with American equipment  | Daily Mail Online

 

This is one of them purportedly guarding a Gurdwara recently after an attack that they say ISIS claimed. 

  ISIS claims attack on Sikh temple in Afghan capital | CBC News

 

This image appears to show a British Army SA80 assault rifle in the hands of a Taliban gunman as he watches the pedalos on the lake 

This image appears to show a British Army SA80 assault rifle in the hands of a Taliban gunman as he watches the pedalos on the lake

 

The Monumentality of the Sikh Turban

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use