Has Kirtan lost touch with younger people?

Guest Aman Singh

Many Sikhs in the West like listening to guitar Kirtan or acoustic kirtan, while in India they like Kirtan sung on filmy tunes.

tbh, as Sikhi spreads into different cultures the style of kirtan will change. Different continents, cultures and generations have a different taste in music. Its why you see White Sikhs mostly using a guitar when doing kirtan, its just how they connect to it.

But, at the same time I'm seeing a revival of old Sikh culture. Puratan Kirtan, art and literature, especially younger Sikhs. 

Sikhs seem to be heading two different directions ?   One group trying to revive old Sikh culture and ways, while the other trying to project Sikhi through liberal Western ways.

Not sure if it exists in Sikhs who know how to play classical Indian instruments, but talented people tend to be quite possessive about their talent and skills. In the past I've been around some talented and creative people (Non Sikhs + 1 Atheist Sikh) and they tend to be very unforthcoming, not wanting to share their skills. 

3 hours ago, puzzled said:

a guitar

Abaolutely ruined catholic mass back in the day. Instead of reverent chanting or singing suddenly we had absolutely untalented acoustic guitar player and friends just massacreing hymns with their happy brandy chords. 

At least the guitar I've seen with Kirtan is better done or at least the singing Gurbani saves it. 

I like the traditional insturments. I know they're ornate and probably expensive but you simply cannot even begin to compare guitar and rebab etc.

I like accapela Kirtan too. Almost the best really. 

Sort of interested in combining vocals, and the playing of the tabla parts or music by thumping Shastar and making vocalalized sounds and noises or chants of Vaheguru in different tones...then you could have a group doing Kirtan while two people in the middle do Shastar Vidya and you don't even need insturments.  

Also if I had the money I would pay the local Paiute Shoshone tribe to sing a selection of Gurbani in their vocal style. 

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Abaolutely ruined catholic mass back in the day. Instead of reverent chanting or singing suddenly we had absolutely untalented acoustic guitar player and friends just massacreing hymns with their happy brandy chords. 

At least the guitar I've seen with Kirtan is better done or at least the singing Gurbani saves it. 

I like the traditional insturments. I know they're ornate and probably expensive but you simply cannot even begin to compare guitar and rebab etc.

I like accapela Kirtan too. Almost the best really. 

Sort of interested in combining vocals, and the playing of the tabla parts or music by thumping Shastar and making vocalalized sounds and noises or chants of Vaheguru in different tones...then you could have a group doing Kirtan while two people in the middle do Shastar Vidya and you don't even need insturments.  

Also if I had the money I would pay the local Paiute Shoshone tribe to sing a selection of Gurbani in their vocal style. 

Yeah I get what you mean, guitar kinda kills culture. I've listened to some Orthodox chanting and Middle Eastern Christian music and it sounds so ethereal! 

I personally love listening to kirtan with classical Instruments. Most the kirtan on my phone is classical.

But these days most people connect more to guitar kirtan and acoustic kirtan etc 

I think introducing the harmonium did not help! it replaced the traditional instruments. The harmonium was introduced to India by European Christian missionaries during the Raj. They used to play the harmonium and sing hymns!    The guitar now might end up replacing the harmonium!

10 hours ago, Sikhi4Ever said:

Sangat should know punjabi/gurmukhi. Not granthis/kathakars learning english.

beause sikhi is in the world and our Guru ji is Jagat Guru our parchaariks and Granthis should be able to explain to seekers of truth in that country's language or at least in English which is the most widely known . That's also why homegrown parchaariks are important.

Guest guest
On 3/3/2021 at 8:24 PM, Guest Gleeclub said:

I can't tell you how many times my ears have hurt. Either because they haven't got the mics balanced properly or because the people on stage can't sing. 

It's honestly embarrassing when Mr Singh can't sing. 

i dont like the use of speakers.  its usually unnecessary.  it makes the sound unpleasant.  already the kirtan singer or dhadhi varan singers are singing loud and the speak amplifies it and it sounds too loud and unpleasant.

if "mr singh" sings from the heart albeit out of tune, i much prefer that to, say, some silky-classical-showy music-concert voice that isn't from the heart.