Ashes

Premi5

Most Christians/'Christians', at least in the UK do cremation funerals rather than direct burials

Some keep the ashes at home rather than dispose, to be 'close' to the deceased.

My understanding is that the soul of the deceased would find it more difficult to find peace that way

In Sikhi culture, we usually dispose in water, preferably linked to dharmic asthaan.

What are others' thoughts?

41 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Most Christians/'Christians', at least in the UK do cremation funerals rather than direct burials

Some keep the ashes at home rather than dispose, to be 'close' to the deceased.

My understanding is that the soul of the deceased would find it more difficult to find peace that way

In Sikhi culture, we usually dispose in water, preferably linked to dharmic asthaan.

What are others' thoughts?

We had a young man die. And he was cremated. He asked that half his ashes go to Iwama Japan and Saito Sensei refused unless all the ashes were together. That was influenced by a Shaman advisor however so take it with a grain of salt. 

They also seem to inter ashes there in a mini shrine grave so that's kind of halfway and also influenced by Shinto. 

In Nepal they just sweep them into the river don't they?

I think cremating helps the Atma feel detached, and so would scattering the ashes, but if someone is mentally detached from their corpse that's kind of the same thing. It seems weird spirit would rely on physical things out of your control. You could die in battle and rot. Not your fault. You could be cremated and divided. Not your fault. 

How you identify to all this. In your power by Akal's Kirpa. 

When my eldest aunt's dad passed away we found out a few year's later that her mum had kept his ashes in an urn by the fireplace for at least 2 years before we found out, my aunt and her mum saw nothing wrong with it, considering his funeral was a Sikh one we all found it a little strange to say the least, she had to be told the the Giani at their local gurdwara that they should really scatter the ashes as it isn't healthy for her mental health to have them there as a reminder all the time, my aunts mother saw nothing wrong with it, takes all sorts.