WEDDING ?!?!?!?!?!

Princess

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

My friend asked me a question awhile ago so I thought I should get the sangats point of view since most of you are more knowledgeable than me.

She asked me if Sikh's were allowed to have weddings outdoors? You know how some Christains have backyard weddings in the summer, etc. Well she wanted to know if Sikhism would allow a wedding to take place somewhat similar to that. Ofcourse all precautions would be taken, like finding a respectable place to put the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, and ofcourse the place would have to be a clean environment (No sign on alcohol etc anywhere around the area). For example a Gazebo can be used and the palki can be placed inside the Gazebo ... kind of like this one ... Click to see picture of sample Gazebo ...

Would it be wrong? Because I've never seen a Sikh wedding be performed like this so I didn't know what to tell my friend. Thank you !

Bhul Chuk Maaf ^_^

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont' see anything wrong with having a wedding outside the actual Gurdwara Sahib complex as long as you follow the precautions that you have posted in your message.

The akal takhat sahib hukamnaama is to not take Guru ji's saroop to pubs but if you find a suitable place then it should be ok.

The thing we need to keep in mind when arranging somethign like this is that do not put so much emphasis on the location or anything else other than Guru Sahib. If you happen to worry too much about the surroundings than that's what people are going to pay most of the attention to and according to my opinion that would be wrong because the center of attraction should only be Guru Granth Sahib ji, not even the bride or the groom.

Guest rsingh

the main point is reath must be observed. a while bak they some one started taking Guroo ji to race courses, that cant be done.

Maryada needs to be enforced 100% that to me is the only obstical. If u can ensure a clean enviroment, etc and Maryada will be observed then there shudnt be a problem.

sw DrqI BeI hrIAwvlI ijQY myrw siqguru bYTw Awie ]

saa dhharathee bhee hareeaavalee jithhai maeraa sathigur bait(h)aa aae ||

That land, where my True Guru comes and sits, becomes green and fertile.

A gurdwara without Guru ji is just a building, but a building with guru ji is a Gurdwara. Having said that as sikhs we shouldnt just take our Guru ji to any old place be it outdoor or indoor.

If u can ensure a clean enviroment, etc and Maryada will be observed then there shudnt be a problem.

Yup, also if the wedding is outside etc and Guru ji's saroop is there then, that place becomes the gurudwara so sangat should behave in the same manner as they do in the gurdwara.