Is protesting effective for Sikhs?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Is protesting effective in achieving outcomes, especially for Sikhs? Farmer protest currently happening in India has been going for many months. At least 400 farmers have died during the protest, many were arrested and tortured by police and government, even children, but no satisfactory results have been achieved. Sikhs have protested for justice for happenings in 1984 in many cities across the world. Is this effective for us or are there other ways to deal? Interested in your opinions

image.png.0b868a813ccf2855ffd2c6d7ac967fa9.png

Chandigarh police arrested 13 year old Sikh child at protests 

17 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Sikhs have protested for justice for happenings in 1984 in many cities across the world. Is this effective for us or are there other ways to deal? Interested in your opinions

I don't know about the farmers thing, but I can say having watched, and at times joined in the protests against 1984 in the UK, they didn't help. We have to learn that these outside people are at best indifferent to us, or often actually surreptitiously working against us, despite acting like friends.

Watch this from 17.50 onwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol no, did our forefathers protest or did they take necessary steps to stop injustices from happening. They may have written and conveyed their dismay at such issues but ultimately they were prepared for action. I think alot of our panth has lost that fighting spirit but a few will still fight for what's right.

My personal opinion is that Its embarrassing to try and resolve anything with protest as it simply goes unheard and everyone just wastes their time back slapping eachother and convincing what they're doing is enough. Go online spread your message you'll reach more people, create hard hitting dialogue with the community and talk to the in opposition groups if you want really want change or go and choose a field that where you are at the forefront of change and can challenge at an intellectual level or generate wealth to financially support those who can enact change. I do back the farmers movement but for the Indian government it's just like shooting fish in a barrel. Now they have lots of Sikhs sitting in one place who are ripe for torture and being treated like dogs, unfortunately they're not armed, they dont have a coherent strategy and although they've exposed the topic there wasn't a strong end game plus the headlines have moved on since the initial protest.

Unfortunately the civilised societies think that holding a placard will create change to happen or generating rallies. Sure it's good publicity but lawmakers and decision makers need swaying from people in power to make change not people holding a sign and people shouting slogans. Hell you even have to organise the protest event and be controlled in a set path by the police. Tell me how your rights to live as an equal on the world are still intact. If you want change, it woild be expedited if you know people in power that this world respects or become a somebody in the way of the world and influence change through business or law.

Until there are more influential Sikhs and not those who identify with Sikhi and they start getting their heads together you wont see Sikhs progress as change for good. Unless their is immense pressure to do so. We can all start improving the situation by supporting the next generation and help their mindsets to prepare them for the real world and the challenges they will face and how to combat situations they may come across. Share stories of how their ancestry would've dealt with matters with actual examples as a lot of us haven't felt the hardship of living in under a dictatorship with a ruling religion killing us or wartime.

This is all my opinion but I believe that until we dont have unity in our panth and corruption and inter-fighting is still a problem we wont get very far as a people.

Guest Assertiveness
On 8/5/2021 at 8:10 PM, dallysingh101 said:

I don't know about the farmers thing, but I can say having watched, and at times joined in the protests against 1984 in the UK, they didn't help. We have to learn that these outside people are at best indifferent to us, or often actually surreptitiously working against us, despite acting like friends.

Watch this from 17.50 onwards.

I saw Jagraj ji once, and he looked at me for help, his heart was in the right place. More people should be talking about the farmers crises but most people i've been around have forgotten about it. Injustice should be protested against and the farmers are being assertive and standing up for themselves. The Indian Govt have been a bane for so long and alot of their number are RSS, 1984 offenders or close relatives of 1984 murderers etc. Sometimes, even if your protests do have no effect, you've done what is right, and we should all stand up for whats right etc. If you see a murder happen in front of you and the perpetrator getting away with it, you would say something right.

A large number of these farmers lost family members or were affected by the atrocities committed in and around 1984. Theres still alot of pain there and the injustices have been so many and long running that it's just basically horrific.