Ban Curry - Paul Chowdhry

dallysingh101

17 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

What, and you ain't grown up with rural Panjabis and see where he gets that caricature from? 

Your experience is not the same as everyone else's, but it seems you want it to be. I am not alone it seems that only a minority of my male men relatives from pind background are like this. The drinking, I will admit is true.

21 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Plus the stereotype of angreezis of Sikhs was the opposite to what you are saying. Loyal, docile, teetotal fudhus, who'd take 'amrit' based around giving loyalty to some morbidly obese english maharani.   

Disagree. Goray seem to think Sikh are anything but docile. Many associate Sikhs with military and /or drinking . They seem surprised to know a lot of Sikhs don't drink and that Sikhs practise meditation and bani

25 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

It wasn't bollywood that promoted this stereotype. Our own lot were full on complicit with it. That's where you keep showing some mental shyte. You're (like me) old enough to remember the 80s/90s. Hordes of our lot defined themselves by that balle balle peasant shyte. Look at Candian juts, they still do!

Plus the stereotype of angreezis of Sikhs was the opposite to what you are saying. Loyal, docile, teetotal fudhus, who'd take 'amrit' based around giving loyalty to some morbidly obese english maharani.   

Panjabi blokes swear big time. That's fact. It's not like I made this rule up myself. But please don't insult my intelligence and try and deny my (and many others) experience  of decades of mixing/working with my own people. I can deal with reality. Try it yourself. 

you actually read any of the angrezi accounts of Ranjit singh's darbar and sikh after that ? they actively promote the ideas that Panjabis were debauched  illiterate uncultured and needing of modernising , literacy and numeracy was at 85% more than England at the time, Lahore was the centre of the arts, publishing houses and literature, arsenal was supplied by state of the art amoury facilities built in Punjab.  They tried hard to REWRITE us as docile sheeplike people but their lawmaking gives the truth they were scared of sikhs : their past, their possible strategic thinking , that why they had kill on sight order against Akalis , why they burnt all Kaide and learning materials , why they made it illegal for us to carry or store arms , why they prevented recruitment from certain areas of punjab for army .

The current admin are the same as their predecessors feeding falsities about us like how we are the worst people for female foeticide not even close  that's gujrat and uttar pradesh, the amount of alcohol and drug consumption etc etc . Bollywood are the mouthpiece of the admin just as hollywood is for USA admin.

The reason why canadians act that way is they are that they are  mostly freshies arriving after 1984  and they all have the disease of bhed chaal.

So what they swear , big deal, does it negate what I said about it making them serve the characterisation that others put upon us ?

20 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

you actually read any of the angrezi accounts of Ranjit singh's darbar and sikh after that ? they actively promote the ideas that Panjabis were debauched  illiterate uncultured and needing of modernising , literacy and numeracy was at 85% more than England at the time, Lahore was the centre of the arts, publishing houses and literature, arsenal was supplied by state of the art amoury facilities built in Punjab.  They tried hard to REWRITE us as docile sheeplike people but their lawmaking gives the truth they were scared of sikhs : their past, their possible strategic thinking , that why they had kill on sight order against Akalis , why they burnt all Kaide and learning materials , why they made it illegal for us to carry or store arms , why they prevented recruitment from certain areas of punjab for army .

Yeah, they were scared of certain free-willed types of Sikhs, and did a great job in picking out the docile ones for employment, especially in the military by the looks of it. 

falcon_slow.png.e7be3b08f9777dd89b53ec6cea6676a8.png

As for the debauchery, it was probably based on their experiences with M. Ranjit Singh, and even that (as you've alluded to) was probably salaciously exaggerated. 

The current admin are the same as their predecessors feeding falsities about us like how we are the worst people for female foeticide not even close  that's gujrat and uttar pradesh, the amount of alcohol and drug consumption etc etc . Bollywood are the mouthpiece of the admin just as hollywood is for USA admin.

The reason why canadians act that way is they are that they are  mostly freshies arriving after 1984  and they all have the disease of bhed chaal.

The amount of alcohol consumption is something cultural. No need to be in denial about it. The drugs in terms of chittah, is obviously due to the close proximity to the fields of Afghanistan. Our own lot played up to the balle balle thing for a while (and like I said, still do in Canada), and the others just jumped on it turning it into a caricature. Some of our lot still play up to it. In terms of sukha and afeem, there is plenty of evidence these were used by Panjabis in various ways in pre-colonial times. That's not to encourage their abuse today, but it isn't worth us now rewriting our history and pretending such things weren't happening. 

So what they swear , big deal, does it negate what I said about it making them serve the characterisation that others put upon us ?

Well, I think a satirical comedian (like Paul) brings that truth out in humorous way. What I find dangerous is how some conservative people amongst our own seem to recreate reality (in terms of the community) in their head, that doesn't correspond to what is out there. I'll repeat your own words: "So what they swear, big deal..." 

20 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Your experience is not the same as everyone else's, but it seems you want it to be. I am not alone it seems that only a minority of my male men relatives from pind background are like this. The drinking, I will admit is true.

Olders tend to put on a front in front of relatives, especially from abroad. It's when they are not being observed (like at work) their real nature comes out. 

PS - I'm not saying every last Panjabi man is like this FFS, but I'm saying plenty are.  

Please do not use bring "Jatt Mentality" or you are jaati etc in the discussion. Being a long time member, i would like to advice not to bring the casteism in the topics that has nothing to do with caste.

Also, try to keep the foul language away and it will never be part of the sikh lifestyle. Don't make it as a norm to do so. Gurbani teaches us to be a much better human. 

On 8/16/2021 at 2:57 AM, S1ngh said:

Please do not use bring "Jatt Mentality" or you are jaati etc in the discussion. Being a long time member, i would like to advice not to bring the casteism in the topics that has nothing to do with caste.

Also, try to keep the foul language away and it will never be part of the sikh lifestyle. Don't make it as a norm to do so. Gurbani teaches us to be a much better human. 

Okay, but please don't whitewash the effect this jut mentality is having on the panth either. It has to be faced, and trying to obfuscate it because it makes you uncomfortable isn't going to cut it either. If people had faced this many years ago, maybe we wouldn't be in the position we are.

And me pointing out cultural norms (even if they are unflattering or embarrassing) and people ignoring them is only a continual of living in denial that let so much crap spread in our samaaj, from grooming, balle balle mentality, conversions to others faiths, drug addiction and especially casteism.

There ARE cultural traits within juts that aren't all flattering, and are effecting the panth in a  negative way.  Face it. 

I fully hear your point about not normalising certain things, but it's being in denial about them and letting them grow unchallenged that pretty much normalises these things until they've grown so big, that people can't be in denial any more, but by then, they've become another issue to contend with.  

• 1 year later...

For those interested. The word 'curry' occurs in Dasam Granth:

ਸਤੂਅਨ ਕਰੀ ਬਨਾਇ ਕੈ ਤਾ ਮੈ ਬਧ੍ਯੋ ਬਨਾਇ 

After making the curry of barley she placed in it a statue carved out flour dough.

https://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/19642-sri-charitropakhyan-sahib-jee-series-charitar-89/#comment-180456