Why Panjabis learn Bhangra in the west

5aaban

47 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

Experienced being called first hand by Bhangra-doing people. 

I'll be honest sis. I did bhangra. Went to gigs as a youngun. And at uni (due to friends pressure and meeting other Sikhs in appreciable numbers for the first time). I thought: 'This is my culture!'

It's just once you realise what's going on, your whole mind-set towards it changes. It's not only putting girls up as exhibits and vulnerable to predators, its also the whole getting plastered out of your head by the blokes too.

Then the potential for internal violence shoots up too. In all of this, we have very devious, predators watching it all.  

The whole casteism promotion too. Which has gone well out of hand. 

On 2/1/2022 at 8:15 AM, dallysingh101 said:

I'll be honest sis. I did bhangra. Went to gigs as a youngun. And at uni (due to friends pressure and meeting other Sikhs in appreciable numbers for the first time). I thought: 'This is my culture!'

It's just once you realise what's going on, your whole mind-set towards it changes. It's not only putting girls up as exhibits and vulnerable to predators, its also the whole getting plastered out of your head by the blokes too.

Then the potential for internal violence shoots up too. In all of this, we have very devious, predators watching it all.  

The whole casteism promotion too. Which has gone well out of hand. 

I was asked to attend Bhangra classes but I refused. 

12 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

I was told to join Bhangra classes ages ago by some aunties and uncles but I refused. 

Never had any classes, just went to some gigs. But my specific generation were there mainly to hear DJs getting creative in the mix rather than the bands.  

I didn't go to that many.  Couldn't afford it. Buying a ticket was a big deal. Some people went 'religiously'. But it was actually guys during my uni time that started challenging what was going on in the south of england. Birmingham/Midland soldiers were the first to recognise and try and tackle the issue way before that. They opened everyone's eyes. 

I don't think we had many of those 'professional stage bhangra-dancers' like I see in Canada (none I can remember). 

5 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

What I find really disheartening is the side-lining of Khalsa ithihaas and all 1699 stood for, replaced by a simplistic 'harvest festival' narrative. 

That's where we miss the greatest opportunity to teach youth about their true dharmic roots.  

The 'Harvest festival' narrative has been debunked fortunately, Bhangra was never performed on "Harvest day". Sikh history should take precedence over Bhangra. I once saw a post on Bhangra being done during a Nagar Kirtan in Southall.