Sikhs Living like Hindus

Mehtab Singh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Sangat jio i know this is nothing knew, and many have you have probly come across 'sikhs' like this. i was a t work 2day and was working alon side a colleague i have not met in along time, she is of sikh decent, and asked me wot i did for new year; i replied, the same as evry year go to the gurdwara. she felt ashamed as her is a grown 30ish year old woman who goes out on a piss up compared to a 20ish guy who goes gurdwara n does seva for new years. neways she replied that she doesnt drink evryday, n that she doesnt eat meat or drink on tuesdays n thursdays cos it mata durgas day...... i jus got so angry inside :wub: @

neways i came home and discussed hindu rituals or influences that 'sikhs' are abidding by and came up with a short list.

1) dont eat meat on tuesday/sundays or othe odd f****n day..

2) not eating beef but other meats are well acceptable.

3) going to the mandar once in a while, so why not the mosque?

4) tying silly strings in mid august for sum ritual to say they protect their sis

5) not washing hair on certain days

6) no disrepect but havin a pic of mata at home

7) and ohh my i nearly forgot, castes!

i dont know about u but besides point 7 on the above list, points 1 and 6 really gets my blood boiling.

i know this thread is pretty pointless, jus i had to get it out my system

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

i know, this is just sooo annoying :wub: @ :@ @

my own relatives do that kinda useless stuff too... like the whole tuesday meat thing and crap...well i was also yelled at for washing my hair on tuesday and esp thursday coz its "veervar" and tis bad for yo bro? isnt this stupid? hmm...so wat can u do wit such peeps coz now, even my cuzins follow the same so called hindu rituals thinking its sikhism :@ @ wacko.gif we argue but invain....................

i know, and when u try and explain to that that the Guru Ji that you bow your head down to, tells you not to follow such silly rituals.

heres another excuse iv heard with regards to the non-meat tues n thurs: 'its our sacrifice for guru ji not to eat meat or drink on those days'

im like <admin-profanity filter activated>, if u really wana sacrifice yourself for ur guru, stop drinking, stop eating meat permanently and grow ur kesh n dhaari and become a puraa sikh

Whenever I'm in that kind of a situation, I never lecture them because it just makes them feel inferiror, which in turn causes them to lash out.

I just smile and say "Nay, I don't do that". Just easy as that. Since I have the Sikhi saroop, they can connect the dots and see why i don't do that kind of stuff.

Just a suggestion.

Im the victim here! Lol... very well discribed! I guess some of this happens at my place... well it used to! Now the only reason behind that is coz my grandparents and parents were raised in Ambhalla and later New Delhi, so guess they were stuck with many Hindu rituals after coming to Denmark, and couldnt get away with em coz of the some sort of "moral support" u get by doing these funny rituals, at those times... u know the hard years while getting settled, or something like that!

Dont trip when u read this... izz corrupt!!

Point nr 1- my grandmom/mom(they are religious) didnt want us to eat meat tuesdays. Now its only my mom, and she fasts every monday as well:s Even Karva Chaut, I used to say that i'll do it as well... but NO more(this was 1yr ago). I'd rather take my husband out for a date, lol! But, if I tell my mom to do stop doing it now, it'll be difficult for her... maybe its her way of saying that she still loves her husband. Ofcourse there are many other ways to do that... but as a child I can only tell her to stop (and she says no) or just try to understand her! What about Puran Mashi (dunno spelling), ppl fasts for Guru Nanak Dev ji... is that wrong as well??

Point nr 2- true... used too, but no more!

Point nr 3- used to go to the mandir while living in india when i was 14-16 yrs old... like thrice a year. I spent 3yrs in Guru Harkrishan Public School (in NewDelhi), and all my Sikh friends used to go to the mandirs when there was some sort of big Hindu festival, so got affected by them... think so. No more though... but we don't mind going there either. Is it really wrong?? ...Hmm I guess it is right

?!? What if ur going to the mandir as a tourist?

Point nr 4- Yeap, we still do that!

Point nr 5- Yea, my grandma/mom used to say that, but not now! Or u cant even cut ur nails at nights... crap! Lol, this is jokes when u really think about it! No more...

Point nr 6- Yea, we have a picture of Ganeshji and Sai Baba, and also of the Guru ji's.

Point nr 7- 10 yrs ago, castes was something special in my fami, but thank God, its no more!!

I have been discussing about these things with my mom... but she wont understand. However, there has been a development! It's very difficult for these ppl to get rid of it when they are raised with it! It's very sad... coz its contradicting what the Guruji's said! But I can only blame it on the circumstances and culture... don't wanna blame anyone for that, but maff karna a tiny bit on my grandparents(ther are religious as well).

The only thing I accept here is pnt nr 4. I don't go to the mandir, but don't see anything wrong if a Sikh goes there.

But some Sikh's are extreme, some are not... some things can be acceptable, some cannot! And the points above CannOT...

Im still a learner... so Bhul Chuk Maf!! blush.gif

veer ji i have tried that approach b4, and has never worked in my experiences. in fact a few have taken it the other way and think that because i got sikhi saroop and dont try to point out this wrong doing they think its ok.

Good point.

But always judge your audience, that's my advice.

Some people don't like "preachy" people. For these, use humour to drive home the point.

Whatever way you choose to communicate, don't give them the "holier than thou" impression, which just makes them say "amritdhari's look down upon us".

Hey Nidhi,

I know what you mean. My family still has a few weird rituals, but most have been cleaned out. :TH:

The older folks are a bit more hardened in their stance.

My grandparents are amritdhari nitnemis, but they still have a few quirks. My grandma doesn’t allow the broom to be placed standing, she thinks it causes fighting ( it’s true, she yelled at me for putting it upright :wub: ).

My parents still believe that sneezing or tripping is bad luck.

My point is, though these little quirks and superstitions are ….well…superstitions, I don’t worry too much about them. It’s not like my mom’s nitnem isn’t going to count if she still believes sneezing before a task is bad luck. I just learn to live with it. These superstitions are going to naturally disappear with the new generation. Hey, even secular white people worry about walking under ladders or cats crossing their way.

Fasting for any kind of spiritual gain is nonsense, it just doesn’t happen. Guru ji isn’t going to bless you for skipping breakfast in his name. The only time fasting is useful is for political reasons, such as hunger strikes.

Far as visiting mandirs, I think you have to ask yourself your own reason for doing so.

-Are you visiting because you’re curious (like a tourist)?

-Are you going to ask for something that you think a Gurdwara can’t give you?

-Are you goin

g to impress/fit in with your Hindu friends?

-You like shopping around?

I think it would be fine if you visit a mandir if you are just curious or if someone has specifically invited you. I would suggest that you not bow in front of their Idols, but just respectfully sit at the back. I say this because I think it’s dishonest ( for any religion you may belong to) to bow in front of something you don’t really believe in. Many curious muslims and Christians do this at the Gurdwara. They don’t bow in front of Guru Granth sahib, but just sit at the back.

Good luck with your mom. :TH: