Sikhs Living like Hindus

Mehtab Singh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I know how you feel bro. I am living with my parents (they are Hindus) at the moment and at times it does piss me off a lot as well. But I love and respect them and so make sure I don't say or do anything that might hurt them because they (especially my dad) respect my Sikhi.

Now for some light humor to cool u off...as usual Mehtab style partytime2.gif

1) dont eat meat on tuesday/sundays or othe odd f****n day.. yup...its more expensive those days

2) not eating beef but other meats are well acceptable. coz they scared of mad cow disease

3) going to the mandar once in a while, so why not the mosque? coz mosque got no pictures or idols, so they might feel its same like Gurdwara, and they need a change once in a while...

4) tying silly strings in mid august for sum ritual to say they protect their sis ...shud join army or police and protect all sisters in the country then

5) not washing hair on certain days ...yes...hair knows which day it doesnt need water and shampoo...cant annoy hair, can they?

6) no disrepect but havin a pic of mata at home ...mata doesnt have a picture...there were no cameras back then

7) and ohh my i nearly forgot, castes!...cant live withou

t those!!

I used to watch Gurbani for 30 minutes on Jagran chanel. I quit! Because I would see these ragis wearing ceremonial Hindu rings, giving people a chance to tell me "See, he is a Sikh and believes in it, whats your problem!"

Here is the best answer that came to my head for all such bs!

When Guru Gobind Singh asked for 5 heads on the Vasakhi of 1699, there were 80,000 Sikhs in the sangat. That means that out of 80,000 of those who dressed up as Sikhs and claimed to be Sikhs, there were only 5 who had the guts to give it all upto Gurujee. Now calculating the percentage, i.e 5 out of, 80,000, we get a very small number. Out of 25 million Sikhs today, we would have around 78,000 such true Sikhs. Out of those, majority could be outside India.

Ok enough maths...point is : All those who look like Sikhs may not be true Sikhs within. Just coz someone does some bs doesn't mean he/she is allowed or authorized to do so, and definitely doesn't mean that its the right thing to do. No one should follow just any random person or their lifestyle, so if you see a "Sikh" doing bs, doesn't mean Sikhi permits all that. There are Hindus today who love beef and Muslims who eat pork and drink, so does that mean their religions allow all this?

I guess that much will be enough to shut anyone up!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

theres one that i dont really mind its a kind one, but i wanna know if it has any sikhi roots at all it is:

sisters cannot touch the shoes of there brothers

Theres no superstitions in Sikhi, so no SIkhi roots to it

but we don't mind going there either. Is it really wrong?? ...Hmm I guess it is right?!? What if ur going to the mandir as a tourist?

I thought MAnvir SINgh SAHib answered your question on the camp :T:

FIne go to the Mandir as a learner and learn what they do - we're meant to know whats happening

BUT for a SIKH it is NOT aloud to worship anyone/anything but one Akal Purakh without Idols etc.

BUt yeah Amaraow Singh it relaly gets my blood boiling as well, I tend to do pange, with these people, and usually tend to question them which makes them pretty annoyed envelope.gif

bhull chukk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

I have a question about point number 4- is it true Guru Nanak once got a "silly string" tied by his sister, although he did explain at the time such rituals were useless? I know some who participate in the "silly string" festival as a result of this, and link the tying of "silly strings" to the fact that Waheguru is the real protector of all, and thus through the symbol, a deeper representation, and meaning is give to the process of "silly string" tying. Is it also the case that Sikh warriors in the past used to get "silly strings" tied to their weapons again to show Waheguru is the real protector? :T:

Just to make it clear, I am not challenging any views or anything- I just have a few questions that I would like to be answered, also I like writing "silly string" in messages ( I have just discovered this about myself- It was kind of a revelation!) :wub:

Sat Sri Akal:

One thing that must be understood in this discussion is the mindset of the Sikhs prior to recent history (around 1978-1984). If you were to ask Sikhs back then what the difference between Sikhism and Hinduism was, you would get a rare soul that could differentiate. Having done a complete Paath (Akhand or Sehaj) of the Guru Granth Sahib was also very rare, as many people (until recent times) were illeterate. Nobody knew the rights and conventions of Sikhism, to the point that besides appearance, very little was left to differentiate Sikh and Hindu mentality in terms of religion.

However, 1984 was a major turning point in Sikh psyche. When confronted with attacks by their "fellow countrymen", the Sikhs began to understand that they were indeed different and were being treated unfairly. An additional occurance was the migration of many Sikhs outside of the Punjab to international countries. These immigrants began to think outside of the Indian culture, study what Sikhism was about (being forced to explain your religion to others around you makes a person either try to blend in completely and give up one's identity or to understand and accept it...) and understand the stark differences between Sikhism and Hinduism.

It is very hard to understand the circumstances in which Sikhs are living in India unless you are one of them. Your religious leaders are mostly traitors to the Panth, you have no role models left, you are bombarded with propaganda on TV everyday such as Bollywood trash, cricket that is politically motivated (think India vs. Pakistan), politics that never tells the truth and Hinduvta everywhere. When you live amongst this from birth, your mi

nd will be affected. You begin to adpot the society's values and ritualism that you live in. Living abroad forces one to become aware of their identity and to initially defend, and then eventually understand it and makes the individuals educated in their values, traditions and religious beliefs. However, living in India, where supposedly everyone knows what a Sikh is (remarkably, nobody really does), you begin to pay attention to live, society, friends and other things.

Hence the current state of things.

My views...Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

i have a "sikh" friend and we got into a very heated debate on meat. She told me that she doesn't eat cows because you get something from them, but she eats chicken because they don't give humans anything to eat...well i was really furious at her and i told her to go and eat some ants, cockroaches, snails, and all those slimy and creepy creatures because they don't give us anything elses to eat. people are sooo stupid nowadays...i wish i could change schools! i have probably gotten into a hundred fights just in the first semester! wacko.gif i hjate the way some guys at our school will wear a really big and heavy kara, but when u ask them what it means they'll look at u like u r some weirdo!

:wub: @ :@ @

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Well Phanji it's true, I agree. But sometimes there's not an answer for everything we do in life... its just something we have to understand! (not talking bout the Hindu rituals:))

When talking about young Sikh's ignorance and blind faith (im one of them) I started off with blind faith, but now im on the learning stage... It took me 3yrs to reach so far... lol -and that's not so far! Point is, u just have to start from some place even if u don't know what ur doing. Coz at some point in life these ppl(ex. me) will find that love with Waheguru...

Now my brother (12yrs old) he wear's a kada... and im sure after having told him y u wear it many times he dosn't remember! It's a stage... where u just have to learn to wear it without actually knowing how to explain other ppl. Though, when reaching the maturity stage (depends on the person) the person should know a bit more.

This is a bit off the topic, sorry, so let's get back to the topic.