Starting University...

No offence paje, but bani does say to watch the company you keep, and you can never be sure when the sangat will influence you. Why go to those places when theres so many other placs to eat out or take lucnh from home, you dont ned to go along with them , the only resason a person would is to fit in wiht them , the sikhs stand out when they dont follow, they are leaders who follow the true path, the path laid down by waheguru.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

:) Randip Singh, so you'd take your kids to pubs and clubs???

anyhooo, What the hell have you done bro :doh: this thread was made a sticky so that singhs and singhnees who are going to university this year, can read it and resist the temptations of society to fit in with the norm, and stay true to their sikhi......

If you feel going to clubs and pubs is ok, GOOD FOR YOU BRO, but dont start Criticise those people who dont go there, and start saying stuff like this,

Sounds like this fellow is trying to withdraw from the world rather than face it as our Guru's have commanded!

Our minds are weak, and in this age of kaljug its so easy for the sangat and places you are in to change you....

Jay Kurahtieye Jag Darsaawat.

Pahul Peeay Kukaram Kamaavat.

Tin So Vartan Nahe Milaawey.

Rahey Nirlep Param Sukh Paavey.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh

I agree above post, why r u confusing university students even more by these comments, why here?

I didnt want to sya this but i think i shud mention it now coz sum poeple are saying its okay to be just like society (randip singh) i'd just like to add that i went to my enrolment on wednesday and made my new nus card etc. They gave me a goody bag, i bought it home , didnt think much of it, later cheked to see whta was in it, there was mags, postcard, sweets and then.......a bottle opener!! why wud i need one??!!.

Cnat wait for freshers day where i'm guna do sumthing bout it being yr2 student president of Sikh.S, no1. get as much of those misled new students signed up to the SIKH SOCIETY, NOT any pub/club society!!!

Kids wud think hang on so its NORMAL to drink, unis and society here finds it normal doesnt mean its normal for sikhs. Do you want iskh students to think its fine to drink and get drunk whilst studying so they stay and "fit" in with society. You say go evrywhere but dont try anyhting, offcourse you'll try it when your in that company more and more each time.

dunno if Randip gonna come here to comment on it but he started the topic on www.sikh-history.com lol

ok maybe saying strip club was a bit extreme but although a pub aint as bad im really soz to say but some clubs students go to are not just where u dance and come back, a lot of dodgy stuff happening thats worse than just looking blush.gif .

Maybe you talking about different clubs :)

oh well.

Rajinder Singh, don’t be daft. Why don’t you buy your kids a car for their 5th birthday? Let them drive around in their own car? BTW I have no problem taking my kids for a Sunday Lunch to a Harvester or a country pub. I wouldn't go to any of the sleazy places that most "Sikh" people drink at (eg Soho Road and Smethwick).

I don’t drink, and lead an honest life. If I feel like going for lunch with my colleague’s to a wine bar, I do! If want to listen to my friends band, at the pub, I will do! If I want to see a stand up comedian at a club , I will do! If I don’t want to go somewhere, then no force on this planet can make me.

The question is not about fitting in, but the contribution and influences you can make on peoples lives in the wider world. Also its about the experience you gain from the outside world.Holing yourself up in your flat or your Gurudwara may seem like a good way of being a fruitful member of society, but it isn’t to me.

Conversely, going to sleazy pubs, or strip joints and getting drunk and smoking is not the way to be a fruitful member of society.

Like I said at the beginning, I am not advocating going to pubs and clubs, but I am neither advocating dismissing something purely because there will be alcohol there, or people who do not share my SIKH values there. That’s a nonsense.

You have a choice………shut all of yourselves up in your Gurudwara’s, and ignore the outside world. Ignore the outside music, food, people etc. Don’t wear “western” clothes. Don’t speak English. Keep yourself hidden away from the world and walk around with your eyes closed. Don’t watch TV or movies. Don’t go to Jazz/Music clubs or watch concerts. Don’t go and socialize with non-Sikhs.

The choice is yours!

PS proud to be signi , this is a free forum, and this thread was started as a comment. I disagree with the writers comments, and I am entitled to my opinion thanks. :)

PPS SSM, I started on sikh history because the comment here were going totally haywire.. While most comments are resonable, there are some that are totally haywire here and getting personal.

May I be permitted to add a few words here: :)

from my experience I'm in agreement with Randip Singh je on this point because if you want to move around only with your kind then the best options for you are in India. Here there are schools like GHPS which is exclusively for Sikh students I guess and thereafter institutions like Khalsa college which have Sikh majority so that people can move around only in Sangat and prevent contact with the 'infidels' and non-sikhs.

Why do you have to go to England to experience what you could easily do back in Punjab ??

ooh lol ok Raju veera that's interesting but did you know that I have lived in this country and not once been to a pub (btw not because I wouldn't but never needed to so far lol but I would go if I had to, nevertheless I know it can be avoided but I'm just being a bit weak by saying I'll go if I have to to a place where there s passive smoking and sharaab smell).

It is not even about being with ur kind, our mates are not all 'Punjabis' , in fact isnt a pub perfect for the typical Punjabi lol.

Ok getting back, well erm I went to a mixed school because my parents were totally against the Sikh school here simply because it was a SIKH school.

I really find it confusing how going to a pub is seen as the start and end of British life.

I know a few goras who don't like to go to the pub so shall I take them with me back home :doh: @ .

Now to use Randip veers words, ''dont be daft'', Sher Panjabi DID make contact with non sikhs only not in the pub so whats this about avoiding contact :doh:

:T:

Lol Randip I see mine was the one that was described as the ''nutter'' comment on sikhhistory (I didn't get offended :) ).

Well SSM je to put it short. I think Randip SIngh je is a man of some worldly experience from the way he puts across his points on this board.

I think what he means to say, in short, is that one's bhakti is no bhakti unless one tests it in the firmament of fire. And the best firmament of fire in this world is living in this paakhandi, and kalyug world itself amongst all types of people and amongst all types of situation. Only then will a diamond be polished. Until then one is like a diamond in the rough or worse probably a piece of charcoal.

Until you go through some hardship, which you will when you face tough & tricky situations while going to typical british hangouts like the pub, steakhouse, night club etc how will Guruje know your bhakti is supreme. How will God test if your 'will' is strong ?? How will you know your limits ?? How will you know your weakness ??

I think that is the jist of what Randip SIngh je said. Never hold yourself back, do what everyone does but still remain pure.

lol if I did what everyone did I would no longer be pure :) @ .

ok, I dont deny that Randip Singh veer is an intelligent guy with some worldy experience, and I have never denied that my brain is the size of half a pea or maybe smaller but it does a dam good job for that size.

But I can still put my views across grin.gif Ah mate I'm repeating myself and you're repeating yourself.

BUT ok I've seen this Sher Punjabi guy at sikh events and lol I don't think he is one to not go to a pub cos he might start liking the sharaab smell LOL.gif I think it is cos he simply has so much pyarfor sikhi, for the roop etc etc etc I dont want to talk for him but I def dont think he one to get tempted! He been to weddings where there is sharaab (I'm assuming) so he can get tempted there!

OK I was on the train and a guy next to me was drinking and when he opened it it went everywhere also on his hands so its dripping, he was pointing out of the window so his hand was above me and the sharaab abt to drip on me so I got up and moved straghtaway.

Some might think that is EXTREME, I see a huff and puff at my stupidity.

But I have my kanga with me, my kirpan with me, my kara with me, I dont wash my trousers and coats everyday(not that u needed to know that but heres the relevant part to that) then I go to the Gurdwara so my clothes got sharaab on them . So am I wrong. I know I'm right.

one last thing, this guy has been 'tested' to some extent, he decided to keep his hair, he been thru his 'phase',lol

ooh lol ok Raju veera that's interesting but did you know that I have lived in this country for 21 years 

124230[/snapback]

I think that is the difference between me and you.

Being born and bred here makes a bit of a difference. However, nowadays, this doesn’t make a difference as many families are so engrossed in their little Zee TV or Alpha TV world, they have little or no idea of what the world around them is about.

and not once been to a pub (btw not because I wouldn't but never needed to so far lol but I would go if I had to, nevertheless I know it can be avoided but I'm just being a bit weak by saying I'll go if I have to to a place where there s passive smoking and sharaab smell).

124230[/snapback]

My feeling is that you probably don’t move in those circles.

I don’t drink and go to no smoking pubs where good food is served. There is no smell of sharab and they are no different from restaurants.

The chances are, your experiences of pubs and clubs have been of “sleazy” places, and this is ingrained in your mind. I don’t see the alcohol or the place that serves it as the enemy, but rather what happens to some people when they consume alcohol as the enemy, or the enemy within.

I could go to such places and be surrounded by drinkers and all could ask me to drink but I would not.

It is not even about being with ur kind, our mates are not all 'Punjabis' , in fact isnt a pub perfect for the typical Punjabi lol.

124230[/snapback]

Yes but we’re not talking about Punjabi’s are we? Punjabiat and Sikhism are distinct and different. In many ways the two life styles digress.

A Sikh can be anyone, black, white, grey, Chinese etc, but a Punjabi must be born in Punjab. I’ll be honest with you, there are aspects of Punjabi culture I despise (one the booze culture), rudeness and the lewdness. However, there are aspects of it I love, The poetry of Bulleh Shah, The open heartedness, Love Stories. The dance of Bhangra and Giddha, The food, the beauty of the people (tall and strong), Lok Geet etc etc. I could go on

Ok getting back, well erm I went to a mixed school because my parents were totally against the Sikh school here simply because it was a SIKH school. .

124230[/snapback]

This is a separate debate, but whats wrong with separating religion from education. Whats wrong with knowing about ALL religions (like Guru Nanak Dev JI advocated), rather than one religion, namely Sikhism.

I really find it confusing how going to a pub is seen as the start and end of British life.

I know a few goras who don't like to go to the pub so shall I take them with me back home :doh: @ .

124230[/snapback]

Pub life is not the start and end of British culture, but the way it is being described here is almost “Talibanistic”. It is being seen as some sort of “Haram”.

What I am saying is that it is not. It is an acceptable part of society, and the problems are not the pubs, but what happens to some of the individuals who go to them.

In fact, these people have problems whether they go to pubs or not.

Now to use Randip veers words, ''dont be daft'', Sher Panjabi DID make contact with non sikhs only not in the pub so whats this about avoiding contact :doh:

:T: .

124230[/snapback]

Making statements like “Randip Singh, so you'd take your kids to pubs and clubs???” is plain daft and deserves and equally daft response.

The entire article is written as some sort of moralistic argument that going to pubs and clubs is wrond per se. I am arguing, this statement is wrong, and actually it is OK. Check your motives for going there, and whether they are driven by the 5 vices.

Lol Randip I see mine was the one that was described as the ''nutter'' comment on sikhhistory (I didn't get offended :doh: ).

124230[/snapback]

Have you something to be guilty about what you said? If not what makes you think this comment is about you.

The “nutter” knows who he or she is, and you can guess I think :)