whats happening?

Ksinghni

Tarunjeet Singh Ji raised an excellent point in saying that we are now starting to see it as a norm to wear make -up whilst wearing dastar, and singhs gelling their daree!

I myself see it as beabdhi to the dastar and not to mention to the kes. Not only do the bibiyan look very silly but very odd too. The beauty of wearing a dastar is that you are respresnting Guroo Ji's roop and to wear a dastar holds great responsibilty. If one cannot handle that responsilbity then they should not be wearing it in the first place for they tarnish other Gursikh bibiyan!

The other day I was asked by a work collegue why I dont wear make up. I told them that I have no need to paint my face and to wear make up is usually to try an attract attention, I already do that by wearing a dastar! Their reply disheartened me, they told me that they saw a bibi with a dastar with make up and bleached facial hair. no.gif and they assumed it was normal.

Also is it just me but do parents not notice that their kids do this stuff? I mean the people that I talked a bout in my 1st post, their parents were there (sitting next to them!) grin.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem the parents face is that they are stuck in a situation where they feel that if they confront there children they might rebel and take off there dastars all together, so in this situation they turn a blind eye to there children bleaching or putting on makeup etc..all to save face in society. What it comes down to is that Sikhi has allways been about quality and not quantity. Soem people say keep sangat of these peopel and show them pyaar yet Guru ji said that if someone commtis a bujjer kurehit then as Gursikhs we are nto to do sangat of that person. Think why has guru ji stated this, it's clear if you stand in pile of muck then you will smell the same, sangat has a major effect on your spiritualty as stated over and over agian in Guru Granth sahib

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh..!!!

To tell u all the truth.. i've text messaged in a gurdwara.. but like i's only for reasons like finding out where sum1 is while i'm inside because i don't wanna get up and look for them.. or like telling sum1 that we're leaving so i don't have to walk up to the bibian side to tell them (i personally don't like causing a scene like that; standing in the middle of the darbar hall looking for sum1)... and honestly.. i have text messaged a couple of times b4 jes udhaee.. for example.. sum1 asks me a question.. i answer.. or i ask sum1 a question.. (it could even be work/school/family related)... there's even been a couple of times i've text'd jes randomly.. and now lookin back.. i guess it WAS pretty stupid of me to be text'ing jes udhaee... at the time.. i didn't really think about it... but mistakes happen so we can learn from them...

anyhow.. like others have said... u should approach the people that are doing it and jes tell them what u think bout what they doing... but do it in a respectful manner because u don't want them to think that u think ur better then them or nothing.. but for the time that ur IN the kirtan .. even if u notice it.. push it aside until after the kirtan is finished.. that way u can jes enjoy the kirtan and then deal bout it afterwards...

and you can't say that they're all flirting... especially if u don't know them.. who knows they could be talkin to their sister or couzin or something... nowadays if a singh is talkin to a bibi then it's AUTOMATICALLY considered as flirting... personally i talk to bibian all the time

.. but i see them all as my sisters and nothing more, nothing less... i's alwayz best to ask them first or talk to them first.. approach them and give ur 2 cents...

personally this is the way i see it.. if we think sum1 or some people are disrespecting the Siri Guru Granth Sahib or Guru Jee in any way... approach them the first chance u get and we give em our opinion.. if we don't do/say nethin, then we haven't done our part... I mean if you DID approach/talk to them then that would be a diff story...

Its funny how we love to bring things to the forum and talk about people but we never like to take care of the situation ourselves...

bhul chuk maaf...

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh..!!

Heera Singh Ji,

I believe I did say earlier: " My friend and I have actually tried confronting them but was told that it is none of our business.The reply I gave to that was that when I see stuff like that happening in the DARBAR SAHIB, I make it my business. If that makes me a fanatic or such then Im guilty.

As for just forgetting about it, well it must take a great deal to do that, a stage where this moorakh is not at" Some would argue that we said it in a nasty way but I assure you it wasnt. If there wasnt anything going on , why would they get so defensive?

I also dont think its fair to say that if a singh is talking to a bibi then its "Automatically" flirting. Its the way you talk to a person and their body langauge. One can pick up a lot from that alone.

Im very sorry if Ive caused offence or upset anyone for I am just a moorakh. :wub:

What's wrong with makeup for Sikh girls?

Just a question? I thought make-up contains animall stuff (like lipstick) ohmy.gifno.gif ereye and over eye, and dark lipstick or something. One of you mentioned that you've seen Singhni's bleaching their hair on their face extra. I agree, that is happening alot with todays youth. Some parents do the same stuff so their kids follow an

d think its "alright". grin.gif I have approached Sikh girls/women about bleaching their hair and their responses were that atleast we're not cutting the hair, just bleaching it. If i'm not mistaken doesn't bleachin semmi-burn the hair ? grin.gif

Bhul Chuk Maaf

^_^pray.gif

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I think part of the reason why girls might get facial hair is due to our diet. Everything is proccessed and injected with perservatives. Other foods have plenty of growth hormones ( like milk, fruits, vegetables). There's no way to escape because the agricultural practices all invlove some type of growth supplements. These substances are bound to make their way into our food, no matter how much we avoid it.

It doesn't get noticed on guys since we are supposed to have beards, but what about the girls? If girls get facial hair due to the growth hormones in the food, should they be allowed to remove the hair?

Please don't think I'm advocating hair removal, but I'm just confused what should be done about something out of our control ( ie. hormones in our food).

I know many Singhnis' that have facial hair and yes having some myslef, I do know how hard it is to keep it, but that is no excuse to remove it. Guroo jee has stated the importance of kes..

rom rom har oucharai khin khin har soee -

With each and every hair, they chant the Lord's Name, each and every instant, the Lord.

gurmukh rom rom har dhhiaavai -

The Gurmukh meditates on the Lord with every hair of his body.

rom rom mehi basehi muraar -

and on each and every hair, the Lord abides

waheguroo, I could post some more tukhs but this is just a few. Having extra hair is an amazing gift, we should feel blessed. Yes it is hard is todays' society but it is not impossible.

Mahavir Ji said that some of it is to due with diet. That is partly due but there is condition which is more prone to asians which causes excessive hair growth. One should go to their doctor and discuss this as there are hormone type medicine which you can take, not just to conrtol the hair growth but other factors too.

white people have facial hair, but their hair are blonde so dont really stand out

in asians the hair are dark so they are visible....it is not extra hair in asians

and i am againsts medicines to control hair growth.....they only cause problems afterwards to the female reproductive system

these medicines which are so called used to set hormonal imbalance are the same as used for contraception

look at the statistics of the medicines being banned by FDA because of the ill effects.

Do you really want to take drugs to look beautiful to the worldly standards on the outside and ruin your inside and try to subtly find a bypass to what guroo sahib wants of their sikhs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS I would like to read more on the diet effecting hair growth and the asian condition of excessive hair growth. Please point me to the information sources.