Birs written by Baba Deep Singh ji

Deep Singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

thank you for all of the information Santbir Singh. I was talking to a senior Singh from the Taksal one day. He said that Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj had told some Singhs to prepare a Saroop of Guru Granth Sahib Ji and to send it to Mecca. This Hukam was given from Sri Damdama Sahib, after the Damdami Bir was prepared. Obviously, Bhai Mani Singh Ji & Baba Deep Singh Ji were given the seva to prepare the Bir. I'm almost positive its in arabic.

this is interesting as alot of people dont know about this and nobody talks about it much. Guru Maharaj wanted the message of TRUTH to be spread, not only GurSikhs from Punjab were given exposure to Gurbani. They wanted to clarify doubts to the entire world and thats why the Bir was went to Mecca.

Just an interesting fact: When Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj travelled, they also made stops in Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc. and they met lots of ppl there who fell in Love with GURU JI and their message. They became GurSikhs of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. However, those ppl remained there due to their worldy affairs and family. They did not get a chance to see other Guru Sahibs. Their families to this day follow the message of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. They wear dastars, keep kes, wear simple bana, vegetarians, do daily Nitnem....(im not sure which Banis exactly...ive heard its Japji Sahib, Asa Di Vaar, So Dar, Sohila, others...basically Bani written by Guru Nanak Dev Ji)

Yeah, these people are GurSikhs of Guru Nanak

Dev Ji and they are keeping that Rehit given to them by Guru Nanak Dev Ji alive. One of my relatives went there and they saw these people. They were sooo surprised to see them cause they look similar to modern day GurSikhs. The dont wear a Sri Sahib though. However, they keep a BARSHA with them. it is a spear like weapon. They said they were also told to be prepared from oppresspors. These facts were really interesting to me. Just thought id share them with the Sangat. I'm not saying they can be called "GurSikhs" cause we are to follow all 10 GURU SAHIBS. but these ppl dont know much after Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Im just sharing what i heard from a Singh.

Also, a Singh went there and wrote about these people in his book. I dont know the name of the book or the Singh. I was told by somebody that these people are written about in a book.

if i said anything wrong, please forgive me

Thanks for sharing that veer ji.... ^_^^_^

If you got any photos could you post them please rolleyes.gif

i have not heard of remnants of sangats in arabia or persia, but i do know that there are "sikhs" living in the eastern indian state of sikkim. guru nanak visited the area on his north eastern udassi. there's a lake up in the mountains that the locals believe guru nanak blessed, and that lake never freezes despite its altitude. there are also several stories of guru nanak destroying "demons" and there is a lot of evidence that he carried a barsha through these trips, including a gurudwara in assam called "barsha sahib", where the guru's barsha still is.

these "sikhs" call guru nanak, "nanak lama" as they come from a buddhist tradition, and they also refer to him as "guru rimpoche", rimpoche being some sort of high word for buddhist monks. strangely, these people worship guru nanak like they would buddha and they have idols of guru nanak (where he looks like buddha!) that they worship. obviously, their knowledge of rehit and of sikh history is very stunted, but yet their love for guru jee is still very visible from what i have read.

there is a small country that borders india called bhutan. it is an extremely insular nation and is one of the world's last absolute monarchies. bhutanese also feel a special relation to guru nanak, and the bhutan's ambassador to india often comes to darbar sahib, as do regular bhutanese tourists. they believe it to be a very holy place. they also are against the consumption of alcohal or use of tobacco and so appreciate sikhi rehit.

i also have talked to afghanis and many of them talk about "sheikh baba nanak" with a lot of love, though they also have a lot of misinformation. they believe guru jee was a "true muslim" an

d that's why he went to mecca, etc. i also have read of groups of people on the tip of south india where they still follow guru nanak. there are also some towns in sri lanka that are also apparently linked to guru jee's udasis there.

so, guru nanak's impact was pretty amazing. its also sad to think that these people, cut off from the panth for over 500 YEARS have kept up more love for sikhi than many punjabis, the lands where the gurus lived.

gurFateh

The history of Prachin Biran is neglected, and most of the stories related to them are just stories and very little 'facts' are known about them.

Those who want to learn about this history should read these books:

- Adi Bir Bare, Prof. Sahib Singh

- Bir Darshan, Bhai Vir Singh

- Authenticity of Kartarpuri Bir, Daljeet Singh

- Pracheen Biran Bare, G.B. Singh (views against Raag Maala being Gurbani..)

- Kartarpuri Bir De Darshan, Jodh Singh

- Ahiyapur Wali Pothi, Prof Pritam Singh.

Modern research by 'McLeodists':

- The Making of Sikh Scripture, Gurinder Singh Mann

- The Guru Granth Sahib: Canon, Meaning and Authority, Pashura Singh

- The Goindval Pothis: The Earliest Extant Source of the Sikh Canon, Gurinder Singh Mann

Apart from these sources, i really can't think of any literature about old manuscripts containing Gurbani, other than the catalogues published by British India Office, GNDU-Amritsar, Punjabi University-Patiala and other Sikh research institues on the Pothis kept in their libraries. Or, you have to personally go to those Deras/Gurdwaras where old manuscripts have been kept to get the history.

I haven't read all these books, so i can't give any more details about the where-abouts of Baba Deep Singh ji's Birs.