A Guy Came N Aksd Me A Question...

jas_kaur

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Today ....while i was in the train by myself ...some guy (muslim) came n sat beside me and started asking me questions about sikhism. like why we wear a turban? n y do guys keep hair as in why dont we cut our hair? so i told him about it. but he said to me that why do cut our nails then? he started saying whats the difference of cutting nails n not cutting hair if god made you like that n you got to accept it. although we had an wacko.gif

i couldnt explain to him properly coz i was a bit confused aswell. i felt soo bad that i dont know much about my own religion. my parents aint into sikhism. but they are sikhs.i mean.. in muslim society muslim girls n guys are taught soo much stuff about their religion but we dont. :umm: @ ....so guys i need your help now.incase next time if anyone comes up to men asks,so i have somethin to say and backup with.

my question is same as his? "whats the difference of cutting nails n not cutting hair??????"

plz plz plz help mee jio....

n just a nother question....why arnt we (speacially girls) taught about our own religion??????

as i am not amrishak i dont know much stuff about sikhism.

bhull chuk maaf

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

jas

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jas_kaur ji, vaheguruji kakhalsa vahegurujik ki fateh

what's the difference? practicality

Sikhi is one of the most practicaal religions in the world. what you do, you do because it's practical, not out of ritual.

There's scientific reasons i'm sure, and i'm sure if this happens, the person you're arguing with will be able to find some scientific proof to go against your arguement. sikhi isn't about science.. sikhi is about love, about reality, and about practicality.

we've all see those pics of the people with the longesst nails in the world..how do you think they can actually LIVE normally.. they CANT! they can NOT do everyday tasks at the same proficiencyt and efficiencies that people with cut nails can.

It's practical to stay as NATURAL AS POSSIBLE.. not ENTIRELY NATURAL..there's a slight difference... it's practical to live with all forms of hair... you can keep allllll your hair, and still live a useful significant life, both materially and spiritually... having hair on your legs and arms isn't going to prevent you from doing anything that someone else can do.

having 9 feet nails will prevent you from washing the dishes, taking a shower..it's not hygenic. forget all the science behind it, it's not going to get you anwyhere. all of Guruji's hukams can be answered in simple every english.

why don't girls learn as much?

well.... one part of me says that girls don't want to learn

the other part of me says that elders focus on making singhs outta their sons, and not kaurs outta their daughters..why? i dunno... maybe somethin to do with stupid indian culture about boys being "better" 8-)

http://www.searchsikhism.com/hair3.html

HUMAN HAIR : A BIOLOGICAL NECESSITY

Hair is a characteristic feature of mammals, which are commonly known as ‘Hairy quadrupeds’ - a group of animals that mark the climax of evolution. Also, mammals are the dominant animals in the world today, due partly to their ability to regulate body temperature in the face of variations in environmental temperature. This requires regulation of heat production and heat loss by the body. Hair plays an important role in regulating the latter. Impulses from the brain (hypothalamus) cause the hair to stand on ends, thereby enclosing an insulating layer of air just outside the skin. This layer reduces the loss of heat by radiation.

Even among mammals, man marks the climax of evolution and possesses the most complex and highly developed brain as well as the longest hair on head. This feature cannot be without significance. It cannot be a matter of mere chance or a mistake by Nature, because if the tail has been lost, the hair could have been lost too. Rather, there are numerous features in the human body that show retrogression. Some of the anatomical ones are :

Loss of opposability of the great toe.

Loss of hair from body.

Teeth becoming smaller and fewer, and changing shape.

Shortening of the muzzle and jaw symphysis.

Loss of jaw power.

Diminution in strength of zygomatic and temporal arch.

And, some of the ontogenetic features are :

Gill-clefts, of which there are four in the embryo.

Tail indicated by 4-5 bones at the lower terminus of the spine, coalesced in the adult into the coccygeal bone, which is concealed beneath the skin.

The lanugo / foetal hair covering the entire body except palms and soles.

Power of grip of newborn during the first few weeks of its life.

Some organs in the human body have become vestigeal, i.e., they are present, but functionless, such as :

Vermiform appendix.

Bands of muscles for moving ears.

Hair-erecting muscles of the scalp.

Dermal muscles for twitching retained in the face only.

Third eyelid / nictitating membrane.

On the contrary, the hair on the head region in man has increased manifold as compared to other mammals. It thus follows clear that Nature is operating by an unknown mechanism, following a definite plan, and gets rid of certain features and improves upon others, as per requirement. Even senses of smell and hearing are not so acute in man as in some other mammals.

The dense and long growth of hair on the head region shows that the body is trying to increase the surface area for some particular function. Such a trend to increase the surface area is seen in every system of the body, e.g., highly coiled intestines with finger-like villi on their inner surfaces for absorption of digested food; alveoli in the lungs for exchange of O2 and CO2; glomerular capillaries in the form of a bunch, and coiled tubules in the kidneys where urine filtration takes place. The circulatory and nervous systems show extensive branching to reach every nook and corner of the body. The following fact shows the extent to which an increase in the surface area can be achieved by the body : If all the blood vessels in one’s body were straightened out and placed end to end, they would be 1,00,000 miles long, long enough to go round the equator four times. Even the surface of the human brain has maximum fissures (folds) corresponding to its increased mental abilities. The results that will be produced by decreasing the surface area at these points should be easy for all to imagine.

1.1 Functions of Hair

Hair perform a variety of functions. Some of these are listed below :

Trap an insulating layer of still air just outside the skin, and thereby reduce loss of heat by radiation.

Absorb harmful radiations from the sun.

Act as storehouse of trace elements, such as, zinc, chromium, etc.

Act as graveyard of harmful elements, such as, lead, arsenic, etc.

Hair follicles can make androgenic hormones.

Beautify the body (otherwise why do people not shave off all the hair from the head completely ? Bald men are desperate, and would pay any price to get hair back on their heads).

Keep out coarse dust particles, e.g., eyelashes, hair in the nostrils and external auditory canals.

Eyebrows prevent water or sweat from falling into eyes, due to their location and particular direction.

Axillary and pubic hair lessen friction between limbs and body, and between limbs, respectively, during locomotion.

Axillary hair provide larger surface area for evaporation of sweat.

Beard and moustache are for differentiation of sex. Mostly males are decorated in Nature, e.g., lion, peacock and other birds, deer, etc.

1.2 Is Hair Lifeless ?

Hair is erroneously considered lifeless because of lack of any visible connection with the brain. But, the brain is not controlling /communicating with our body through nerves alone. Hormones, which are chemical mediators, also regulate various body functions. The immune system of the body fights infections with the help of co-ordinated action of cells, which have no visible connection with each other or with the brain. So, presence or absence of nerves alone cannot determine the connection of a particular part of the body with the brain. If hair was really dead to the brain, then how does it come to know that it has been cut, and responds by growing it again to a specific length. Once the specific length has been attained, further growth ceases. Thus, undoubtedly, the brain is well aware of the condition of hair, cut or uncut, even upto its tip ! This is a sure sign of life. Thus, by cutting our hair, we are actually putting extra load on our body, as the energy and the raw materials (protein, etc.) required for growing hair time and again would be manifold as compared to the amount required for their maintenance only. And, the hair, like any other living organ of the body, responds to ageing - in its variations in length, denseness of growth, and greying. The condition of the health of a person is also reflected in the hair - in its lustre, shine, etc.

Lack of sensation in hair along its shaft (visible part of hair) is no indication of it lacking in life, for, even the brain shows no such sensation. There is a group of animals (phylum Porifera), which do not possess a nervous system at all. A blow to any part of their body produces no response whatsoever. Do we call these animals lifeless ? Similarly, most plants do not show any sensation either.

Further, a part that we call ‘lifeless’ may be without sensation, but definitely not without function. Rather, its function is as important as any living part of the body, if not more. For example :

What would be the fate of an egg without the shell ?

What would be the condition of the body’s living cells without the covering of the dead cells, i.e., upper layers of skin.

How can teeth perform their function without enamel ?

What life would a bird lead without feathers ?

How would many freshwater animals overcome unfavorable conditions and not become extinct without cysts ?

How would majority of plants survive and propagate as a species without formation of special devices meant for dispersal of seeds ?

Actually, different parts of the body or different cells cannot be categorized as useful / not useful. Each is only specially modified to perform different function(s) for the benefit of the same individual. What the cells of a kidney can do, the cells of pancreas cannot. That does not mean that the former are more important than the latter or vice versa.

1.3 Hair vs Nails

It is often argued that hair and nails are similar, and a question frequently asked : "If we should not cut our hair, then why do we cut our nails ?" But even a superficial study of the two shows them to be extremely different from each other. Whereas the hair grows from a tubular pit (hair follicle), formed by sinking in of the most actively dividing layer of the skin (stratum germinativum) into the lower dermis, the nails are only modifications of the upper dead layers of the skin (stratum corneum). Further, the base of every follicle bulges out forming an inverted cup, which receives blood capillaries for nourishment and nerve fibres to make the hair sensitive. An oil gland, known as sebaceous gland, opens into every hair follicle, the secretion of which lubricates the hair. A muscle is also attached to the base of every hair for bringing about movement. Pigments are added to the shaft of the hair as it grows. None of these features is associated with the nails.

Structurally also, hair is extremely strong, and resists breaking due to its elasticity and flexibility. Strength of hair can be estimated from the following facts : a human hair laid on a bar of steel and then passed through a cold rolling mill would leave an imprint on the face of the steel; a hair of a man’s beard is about as strong as a copper wire of the same dimensions; if a rope were made out of strands of long hair, it would be strong enough to lift an automobile. Nails, on the other hand, are very brittle and rigid, breaking off easily. Hair are countless (upto 1,25,000 on head region alone), thereby increasing the surface area, as if to meet a specific requirement. Nails number only twenty in an individual.

The differences between the two do not end with the structural features. Even the body’s response towards the two is totally different. Our body, throughout life, tries to maintain a particular length of hair. And if the hair is cut anywhere, the body responds by growing it again to the specific length. It clearly indicates the link of the body with the hair all along its length. The body shows no such response to the nails, which grow from birth to death at the same rate, irrespective of whether cut or not. It follows, thus, that cutting of nails does not tell on the body at all, whereas, as mentioned earlier, cutting of hair means extra load on the body.

Practically also, hair does not interfere in any daily activity, whereas it is impossible to work with long nails. And even if not cut, nails generally break off on their own; rather it takes great effort to maintain them, even upto a short length.

In contrast to the long list of the functions of hair, only one function can be attributed to nails - protection of the tips of digits, and that too is limited to the part in contact with the skin. On the other hand, hair carries out the majority of its functions while its shaft has no contact with the skin.

To sum up, if there is anything on the head that can be compared with the nails, it is dandruff !

It is also argued that hair has been lost from the body in man, because the body is kept covered. If that be the case, then instead of being retained, the axillary hair because of its location and the pubic hair because it has been covered ab initio, should have been the first to go. Also, the hair on the face, neck and hands should have remained.

Nature knows best what to discard or retain. Whatever is retained is not without purpose. If we are unable to explain something, it does not mean that it has no significance. We must look for an explanation, rather than deny the role or existence of something we do not see.

There are sound frequencies we do not hear; light waves, that make everything visible, we do not see; odours that we do not smell; there are animals that do not see as many colours as we do; some things we can neither see nor deny, such as emotions, bond between mother and child, force of gravity, etc. So, if there are things we do not see, hear, or smell, does it imply their absence ? Just as an ant cannot comprehend the size and shape of an elephant, life and its processes are beyond human comprehension in the present state of knowledge. Our vast solar system, which is beyond reach even today, is just a speck in the universe ! Even our smallness is beyond our comprehension.

Hair is a gift from God, not a burden. Guru Gobind Singh, in his infinite wisdom, commanded us to respect it and refrain from tampering with it. This is the visible token of his affection for us, as well as our faith in him. If we have faith in our Guru, who was in communion with God, how can we do anything, but follow his advice and leave our hair uncut ?

~~~

My mind wants nothing except the Beloved Lord.

I have searched through all the worlds,

And I find that nothing equals even

A hair of my Beloved Lord.

- Guru Granth Sahib, p. 1209

~~~

It is sacred, it is his mark of remembrance.

The Master has bathed me

In the light of suns not yet seen;

There is eternity bound in this tender fragile knot.

I touch the sky when I touch my hair,

And a thousand stars twinkle through the night.......

Who says the hair is no more than grass ?......

Yet a single hair is a dear remembrance,

An heirloom, a trust, a pledge, a love,

A vow, an inspiration.

My form is but a statue of dumb gratitude for the knot of Friendship tied by those Kings of Eternity,

the Gurus who came to the Punjab;

The Saviours who were gracious to love me and made me a home in the Realm of Eternal Beauty."

¤

Body

No knowledge can be more satisfactory to a man than that of his own frame, its parts, their functions and actions.

- Jefferson

If any thing is sacred, the human body is sacred.

- Whitman

Q/ Why do Sikhs keep Kesh (unshorn hair)?

Sikhs wear an external uniform to unify and bind them to the beliefs of the religion and to remind them of their commitment to the Sikh Gurus at all times. Unlike some other faiths where only the clergy are in uniform, all Sikhs are enjoined to wear the uniform of their beliefs. These five articles of faith, along with a turban (dastaar), distinguish a Sikh and are essential for preserving the life of the community. Naturally, for Sikhs these religious articles have a deep spiritual significance; and some practical as well. The five articles of faith start with the letter "k" in the Panjabi alphabet, and are therefore referred to as the 5 K's.

Kesh, unshorn hair (which is covered with a Keskhi/Turban) is one the K's in the 5 K's Uniform bestowed upon us by the Tenth Nanak, Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Guru Nanak Ji, the founder of the Sikh faith, followed the ancient practice of the sages, prophets, and holy men of keeping the hair unshorn because keeping it in a natural state is regarded as living in harmony with the Will of Vaheguru (the Wonderful Lord). So as a Sikh one recognises that Vaheguru has given us hair for a reason. For example:

• The hair on our head protects the skull and brain (the most precious part of the human body)

• The hair on our body acts an insulator

• Our eyebrows prevent water going into your eyes

• The hair under our armpits prevent friction and irritation when we move our arms

• When one meditates the hair on our body vibrates the energy/Naam, which can increase the effect of meditation.

Gurbaani says:

"naam hamaarai antarjaamee. naam hamaarai aavai kaamee. rom rom raviaa har naam. satgur poorai keeno daan. (1)... The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is the Inner-knower of my heart. The Naam is so useful to me. The Lord's Name permeates each and every hair of mine. The Perfect True Guru has given me this gift. (1)" (Ang 1144)

The turban (dastaar), is a Sikh’s crown, which is part of the uniform because it has immense spiritual and temporal significance. Wearing a turban declares sovereignty, dedication, self-respect, courage and piety. All practicing Sikhs wear the turban out of love and as a mark of commitment to the faith.

Guru Gobind Singh Jee says:

"Khaalsa mero roop hai kaas. Khaalsa mai ho karo nivaas... The Khalsa is my image. Within the Khalsa I reside."

Q/ Why do you keep your hair but cut your nails?

Sikhs highly regard hygiene, cleanliness and also appreciate's God's for blessing us with a human body.

Hair is alive and Nails are dead matter

Our dead hair is removed with a comb!!!!! (combing the hair twice a day is a Guru Ji's hukam).

A Sikh must keep clean and tidy! Our dead nail is removed EITHER by cutting it - OR if you don't cut it, then if we are working with our hands then our nails keep short (through erosion or something). If someone doesn't cut their nails, then unless they don't use their hands AT ALL or are VERY CAREFUL in preserving their long nails - then the nail will break and keep short themselves. Cutting dead material is not wrong!!

Hair has more biological and spiritual significance and function - hence KESH is part of the 5Ks and NOT KEEPING YOUR NAILS!!!!!

Jas.. Muslim ppls are good in their own prachar.. Kingdom spend millions of millions of dollars in their religious education (though they realized it later that some imas/mullah religious preachers are preaching hatred and turning young saudi ppls against kingdom).. but anyway the thing is that it's VERY VERY hard for sikh young ppls to get proper education of sikhi and it's religious values specially if their parents/relatives are not into deep sikhi. To overcome this problem, we have to DO our best to explore. We may not have big libraries or big sikh institutions abroad but we need to try our best to get as much info as we can through our possible reach (AKA websites, bring books from punjab etc..)

Regarding the topic Hair and Nails:

taken from some book

Aye, but some one would say, "Well, if the human body is the fabrication of a benevolent and wise artificer, and if we are unjustified to clip the hair and beard, are not the nails on the tips of the fingers and toes by the wish of the same Manufacturer? If they are, why should we feel no hesitation in paring them?" To such a one, I reply:

"Inquisitive inquire, why do you raise a question on 'cutting the nails,' rather than on combing the hair; for, verily, the nail-cutter and the comb perform exactly the same kind of functions. The former removing the 'dead nail' and the latter the 'dead hair'. And on no account I solicit you to keep such things. While in the act of combing, by negligence or through any fault of the instrument, if a single live hair is plucked off, what immense pain is felt; and similarly, how exceedingly miserable becomes the condition of a person whose 'live nail' is injured or separated in any way! Again the Creator has already fixed a limit beyond which one may cute nail; for farther than that extremity the nail is dead and decaying. But there is no such hint concerning hair. And either the head should be shaved entirely, like chin and cheeks, or else every part kept natural. And he who adopts the former customs the same must shave the whole body, including eyebrows, eyelashes, hair of axilla and the pubes. For the Deity has made no note of distinction, above or from which place one may cute or remove the hair, as in the cause of the nails. And, therefore, either all which have no limit should be cut right off or kept altogether, being no one considered wise to interfere with the Supreme Design, and draw his own marks of limitation."

taken from http://sikhpride.com/youthreading.htm

love the quote...

If any thing is sacred, the human body is sacred.

- Whitman

Where people slip up and walk into traps - when these people ask questions...

1/ We keep our hair because it is natural!

The word "natural" is a bad word to use. I am wearing clothes - that is natural! If not, then we should walk around naked! Eating Daal Sabji - is it natural or natural? Therefore, someone could argue that natural is subjective and cutting you hair could be "natural".

Its a play on the word. Therefore avoid using it. Sikh hair is part of Sikh identity and part of the 5Ks uniform given to us! Simple dimple!

Like no-one questions an army uniform or football uniform (e.g. why do have to wear red and not white) - similarly we don't question the uniform! The uniform is for unifying, binding and showing commitment.

2/ If you highly regard hygiene, then why don't you practice circumcision - because circumcision is hygienic for the privates.

Very good! Yes, perhaps the all-knowing and perfect Allah (Waheguru) made a mistake when creating us. I agree we should stay clean and hygienic. You just remove the foreskin and shave the armpits and groine area - what about the rest of the skin! From our skin we give out sweat and smell - so perhaps instead of washing our bodies we should just remove our skin?

Urine is in our body! Excrement is laying in our body which is disposed of. What perhaps you would like surgically remove your organs?

Again "hygiene" is played upon to justify shaving armpits, groine area and circumcision - so keep your wits!

3/ Sikhs drink alcohol and don't stay true to your religion and your priests drink as well.

Seriously mate? Thanks for letting me know! Sikhi is way of life and path to follow. You are not born into Sikhi like in Islam. Therefore you are a Sikh by actions and not birth. Therefore the people who drink alcohol are not following Sikhi - if you are Sikh by actions - then there actions are not in accordance to Sikhi. I don't think those people drink alcohol thinking it is a new rule in Sikhi that you should drink alcohol. Most likely that Sikhi is not even in their mind at the time they are downing shots!

In Islam don't you have imams who abuse children? Don't the Saudi Arab Royal Family drink alcohol? Don't some Muslims commit adultery with white women?

Mate I don't want to argue with you and waste my time and your time!. Just want to show you that because you "associate" yourself to a certain religion doesn't mean you follow it and you are the representative of that religion.

Sikhism clearly states in Gurbaani that alcohol is forbidden

"Jit Peetai Kasam Visrai. Dargai Milai Saj-aa-e... Those who drink will be punished in the Court of the Lord." (Ang 554)

Sikhi goes on step further to banning smoking. Muhammad Sahib also said don't consume that thing which is bad for your health - it's a shame that the majority of the Muslim world are not following their own Prophet's instruction.

Rab Raaka.

I'll keep my reply short....

Why do I keep my hair?

Because my Guru stresses the importance of hair and told me to. I trust his judgement more than I trust mine or anyone else's.

why cut nails?

My Guru stressed the importance of a clean healthy lifestyle....keeping long nails does not go along with this philosophy.

anuva way i see it is da power of god....it jus keeps growin and growing and growin and growing and growin and growing and growin and growing and growin and growing and growin and growing and growin and growing and growin and growing and growin and growing and growin and growing..................u get da picture