Womens Seminar Next Week!

lost_soul

Well i got this from sikhsocs@hotmail.com

A UNIQUE ILLUSTRATION OF PRE-TWENTIETH CENTURY WOMEN OF NORTHERN INDIA.

"Due to popular demand"

The seminar will provide a unique illustration of pre-twentieth century women of northern India.

Presented in a manner where one can explore the lives of those individuals who have inspired and shaped todays society, many which have been ignored by modern day historians.

Exemplified is Mirabhai, who is generally a forgotten name to Sikhs today, but in fact is the sole example of a female author in the Sikh Holy scriptures.

This along with many other historical findings will be presented and will provide a fresh outlook on forgotten eminence of Sikh women, which has been transformed for over a century.

Aimed at raising awareness of such history amongst women, and looking at the different aspects of their lives.

WARWICK UNIVERSITY

6-8pm THURSDAY 17th feb

Ramphal Lecture Theatre, Ramphal building CV4 7AL

By

Nihang Niddar Singh

Sanatan Sikh Shastar Vidiya Gurdev

Note That transport is being provided from East and West London.

Please contact Amardeep Singh on 07950 323 785

This talk has specially been designed for women, so please do your best to attend, this is a family event

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Akaal108

First of all my post is only and only about the Sikh Lady dressed up like queeen and I in no way support or against this event since I don't know it contents..

We are soo used to see sikh women and even sikh men being in warrior type portray that we forgot that some can dress up like raja -ie Raja Janak and someone can dress up like - (Raja Hari Chand wife's) Rani Tara and still be "Bhramgyani" / "Gurmukhs".

In Sukhmani Sahib there is a tuk- Raj Mein Raja, Jog Mein Jogi.....

If you are thinking that only sikh women with keski with no make up can get passport to sachkhand darbar then you are mistaken.

We got figures both male and female who were king/queen and dressed up like king/queen but still leen in Vahiguroo (merge with God).

And if gurbani has accepted them not because how they dress up like but because of karni/bandagi towards Vahiguroo then

"Who are we to say otherwise"?

Bhai Gurdas Ji says referring to raja janak-

"Gurmukh Maya vich udasi"

Fact that you have figures who were king and queen but still were fakirs in Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and the fact you got figures who were in full bana in Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and in Sikh History shows "diversity in the panth" ..

mock each other down is biggest morakhta one can do.

I "disagree" with Sanatan representation of Sikh Women ie - kirpan da amrit , waxing kesh and besides if they were really up for diversity they would also put singhani "tyar bar tyaar" in their poster.

Hence, kaur (princess/lioness) tittle give by our beloved guru's to Sikh Women signifies, if there is a need/circumstances sikh women can be lethally dangerous (lioness) to the enemy (treh charitar has such tales in those circumstances).

Neverthless, i don't have any problem with Sikh women being Princess nor I have problem with SIkh women in Lioness ... it's all circumstances..both representations princess(queen) and lioness(lethally dangerous) are right in Sikhi and shouldn't be mocked over (who is right/who is wrong) they are both right.

That's just my view.

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Jee Kee Fateh

Exemplified is Mirabhai, who is generally a forgotten name to Sikhs today, but in fact is the sole example of a female author in the Sikh Holy scriptures.

Meera Bhai's story is beautiful; she had lots of dedication. But that was only towards Krishna Ji and not towards Akaal Purakh.

That's the reason why her Bani was not put into the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. She was a devotee of Krishna. Her love for him is inspirational and teaches us how we should be with Waheguru, but most of her Bani is just praising Krishna.

therefore i don't see why her name would be exemplified and emphasized at a conference for Sikh women when in fact Meera Bhai was a Hindu woman.. :cool: Meera Bhai has no relevance to Sikhi or the Panth especially compared to all the amazing Sikh women that the panth has been blessed with...

Sure, she may have been a saintly person but so were Bibi Bhani Ji, Bibi Nanaki Ji, Mata Khivi Ji, Mata Sulakhni Ji, Bibi Rajni Ji, Bibi Amro Ji, Mai Bhago Ji, Mata Sahib Kaur Ji, Bibi Dalair Kaur Ji, Bibi Veero Jee, Mata Gujar Kaur Ji, Mata Tripta Ji, and sooo many more -- and their contributions to Sikhi were huge. I wonder if their names will be mentioned :umm:

interesting...

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Sarblor heres a few thoughts/Qs:

1. Are there going to be others like you at the talk, ie.those that lose their temper (one of the 5 vices:calling people fools?).

2. Have you shakd amrit? When I did the Panj Pyare said we can't pierce our bodies, the lady in the poster seems to have peirced her nose and I am going to assume she has also peirced her ears . So, that hardly makes her an example to be used to represent Sikh women.

3. Or maybe I'm just expecting too much.

4. I have been told Niddar told said Meera Bhai's writings were collected and put into one versian of Adi Granth Sahib but the Guru rejected the additions and called it 'kaccchi' bani. For some strange, unknown, reason Niddar said that this bani was still respected by the Guru Ji. If calling it kachi bani is respect then I'm lost for words.

someone said, "Who was it that originally included her works in Adi Guru Granth and why?"

Does it matter? Meera bai's bani is not in the Guru Granth Sahib Jee for obvious reasons. This is supposedly a conference revolving around Sikh women, but meera bai wasn't even a Sikh woman. Like I said before, I hope the conference will include the stories of the Sikh women who greatly contributed to Sikhi...

:T:

I wonder how this conference will turn out :umm: blush.gif

Does it matter? Meera bai's bani is not in the Guru Granth Sahib Jee for obvious reasons. This is supposedly a conference revolving around Sikh women, but meera bai wasn't even a Sikh woman. Like I said before, I hope the conference will include the stories of the Sikh women who greatly contributed to Sikhi...

:T:

I wonder how this conference will turn out  :umm:   blush.gif

85689[/snapback]

Hmm, I remember the last talk by Giddars people about Sikh Women, was very interesting, especially when the speaker said "Guru Nanak Dev Ji's wife, Mata Sulakhni Ji 'stayed at home to look after their children when Guru Ji was on their travels'' - And so, Sikh Women should also do the same... Hmmh, interesting...!!

So any mention of the amazing Sikh Women will probably be in the same light - I think Giddar is just scared that more and more Sikh women are becoming Khalse (Mad respect to my phenji's!!) - more women are standing up to him and his chele - and they don't have much to answer back with - A couple of people here may remember a midlands based sikh soc talk with his chele!! LOL.gif Singhnia kicked it!

Incidentally, note

"A UNIQUE ILLUSTRATION OF PRE-TWENTIETH CENTURY WOMEN OF NORTHERN INDIA."

Not Sikh Women.

Just my ramblings.

Forgive me for my many mistakes.

Todays print of Adi Guru was only finalised in the middle of the last century.

If you research the history of compilation, it is widely acknowldged that the Bhanno Bir was held with the same respect as the Kartarpur one.

And oviously in that bir and the ones that followed Mirabhai's bani is in there.

At the talk we will show that to argue that her bani was 'too Krishna' orientated is a false one. As there are a multitude of shabads that follow in the same manor anyway.....

thats interesting....

maybe I am mistaken in which case I ask for fogiveness BUT from what I been told Niddar said there is a bir that Guru Ji called KHACHI BANI and that was the one.

Maybe I found out wrong. grin.gif

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!